Proposal: [NYR/VAN] Nils Lundkvist & Lias Andersson for Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi, 1st

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Hughes is worth more than anything in the Rangers organization. So I guess you could add Panarin 50% retained?

And before you say “AdD PeTtErSsOnNn”, not only is he significantly more valuable than anything the rangers have, he’s already better than Panarin.

OK maybe pump the brakes right there. Pettersson is good and all but Panarin is doing McDavid level shit with worse linemates than McDavid this year

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is terrible for the Rangers. Why are we trading quality for quantity? Virtanen is a good player, but not a star, and that first round pick could end up a late first that amounts to nothing. And it's not as if we've drafted well in the first round either. Lundkvist is one of the few good first round picks we've had. No way should he be traded, unless an impact player is part of the trade.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Weird trade. Good value for the Canucks I think... but almost impossible this happens right now with Virtanen on the top line and playing very well.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Bad trade both sides. Would be absolutely pissed if this happened.

48MPHSlapShot

Nov 3, 2018
You're getting a lot of crap for this proposal, but from a Vancouver perspective I think it's at the very least tempting. We're pretty set in terms of young forwards, with Petey, Brock, Bo, Miller, Gaudette and Pearson all being 27 or younger, and with a pretty solid glut of good forward prospects on the way in Madden, Lind, Hoglander and Podkolzin. While I think it would be kinda foolish to sell on Virtanen right when he looks to be breaking out, it's not like we don't have the pieces to make up for it. Bottom line is that we do have the young forward depth to make a deal.

Juolevi has certainly has his struggles, but he's playing well in the farm right now. Basically I see his value being pretty equal to Andersson's right now. That said, Juolevi probably fills more of a need for us than Andersson, as we're pretty light on D prospects. If possible I'd rather eliminate this part of the deal entirely.

The one area where we're really lacking is on the blueline, particularly on the right side. As it stands right now, our right side looks something like this...

Myers
Tanev
Stetcher

Rafferty
Tryamkin(?)
Woo
Rathbone

Myers simply isn't a top pairing guy, and in a handful of days he'll be on the wrong side of 30. Tanev is at a similar age, and despite being healthy this season, has been pretty much made of glass for most of his tenure here. And again, not a top pairing guy. Stetcher is a warrior, but he is what he is. A 4-5 Dman. Rafferty is putting up amazing numbers in the AHL, but he is 24, and that needs to be taken into consideration. Tryamkin is a massive question mark, as are Woo and Rathbone.

Bottom line is we need a top pairing gamebreaker to put the finishing touches on our rebuild, and when I see a 19 year old defenseman with 21 points in 29 games, it's difficult not to drool.

Because I consider Juolevi/Andersson to be a wash, I look at this deal as Virtanen/1st rd pick for Lundkvist. I'm skeptical because, like I said before, we'd be selling low on Virtanen, so I might pass, but it certainly would address our most dire need. I think it's a fair proposal.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
Since neither has played a single game in the NHL

How about Madden for Lundkvist?

Straight up

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Very bad proposal for Vancouver. Makes no sense at all.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Huh? Madden is top 5 in the NCAA scoring. Lundkvist is more valuable but it's not like he offered Toni Utunen. Meanwhile, Chytil maybe gets Pettersson's left skate.

Chytil and Pettersson are about the same amount of draft slots different in a re-draft as Madden and Lundkvist.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Chytil and Pettersson are about the same amount of draft slots different in a re-draft as Madden and Lundkvist.

It's still not even remotely comparable. Neither Madden or Lundkvist has played in the NHL yet. Their value as NHL players is still completely up in the air. Pettersson has more points this year than Chytil has in 123 games. Not sure exactly where Chytil would go in a re-draft, but I can tell you exactly where Pettersson would go.

Reactions: rotiman187

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Getting tolvanen hype vibes from this lundkvist guy
Even if you do, why would NYR trade a guy they just drafted on a rebuilding team? Going for young players who need contacts soon isn't exactly the perfect model for rebuilding. It's not a good trade for either team. If somebody offered a guarenteed 15th overall for Nils. We'd say no.

Whether he pans out or not, it doesn't make sense to go backwards.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Hughes is worth more than anything in the Rangers organization. So I guess you could add Panarin 50% retained?

And before you say “AdD PeTtErSsOnNn”, not only is he significantly more valuable than anything the rangers have, he’s already better than Panarin.
Maybe more valuable with contract and age. But, no, he's not already better than Panarin.

Shonky

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Even if you do, why would NYR trade a guy they just drafted on a rebuilding team? Going for young players who need contacts soon isn't exactly the perfect model for rebuilding. It's not a good trade for either team. If somebody offered a guarenteed 15th overall for Nils. We'd say no.

Whether he pans out or not, it doesn't make sense to go backwards.
That's fair I actually don't like this deal for either team. If we had a 1st to give and traded it to New York I'd assume we would be going for kreider

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Easy pass by Vancouver.

Jake is far more of an asset to the Canucks than a whiny Swede. OJ is doing good in Utica, but swapping him for a RHD isn't a horrible idea.

But to say Canucks add a 1st too, heck no! GM JB would no long have the GM tag if he completes such a poor trade...in my books anyway

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Rangers shouldn’t sell low on Lias. Keep him until he shows he’s healthy and at least somewhat back on the prospect track.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->