Proposal: [NYR/VAN] Nils Lundkvist & Lias Andersson for Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi, 1st

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kudos the OP??? This was a terrible proposal, for both teams. We likely won't be able to afford Virtanen either. Yeah it makes a whole lot of sense to lose all of Kreider, Fast and Strome (all who are much better) just to keep Virtanen with our already limited cap space???

I believe I specified my praise was limited exclusively to recognizing there is some basis for these 2 teams to do biz, including, but not nec limited to, Lias to VAN.

I did not approve the actual deal.
I emphasized among other issues, we wanted to keep our prospect stud RD
Also completely ignoring VAN's perspective of the trade; trading a key player for them and a 1st in the same trade is such an idiotic backwards counterproductive idea it's not even funny.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
How?

A middle 6 winger who averages at 0.36 points is better than a record breaking 19 year RHD with a high ceiling?

Sure

....but let me guess the responses?..."Virtanen is on pace for 40 plus points this year"
Well, yes. Virtanen has improved considerably every season and is currently on pace for 50 points. This is relevant to his value and you know it. I'd say a trade of him for Lundqvist is fairly even, insofar as that can be determined. Value is extremely difficult to calculate when proposing to trade an established player for a prospect, but you're not even really trying.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I’m not trading SHL record breaking prospect defenseman Nils Lundkvist for a decent role player, a bust, and an unknown/unavailable pick.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It'd be a pretty big risk to trade Nils at this point. Unless the team knows something bad about him that nobody else does, it's too big a risk given his current ceiling.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
It'd be a pretty big risk to trade Nils at this point. Unless the team knows something bad about him that nobody else does, it's too big a risk given his current ceiling.
This is completely reasonable. The timing and player age gap doesn't make sense here at all for either team.

Reactions: haveandare

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Well, yes. Virtanen has improved considerably every season and is currently on pace for 50 points. This is relevant to his value and you know it. I'd say a trade of him for Lundqvist is fairly even, insofar as that can be determined. Value is extremely difficult to calculate when proposing to trade an established player for a prospect, but you're not even really trying.

He’s not on pace for 50 points. He has improved significantly, but he’s not close to Nils Lundkvist’s value right now.

Casual fans might not realize it, but Lundkvist is a two-way game manager who is about smash the record for points by a teenage D in the SHL. I’d argue his value his higher than any prospect in our organization not named Shesterkin. Lundkvist has passed Kravtsov and Miller for many fans. Virtanen and a 1st is not a good long term move for the Rangers and we know it.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
He’s not on pace for 50 points. He has improved significantly, but he’s not close to Nils Lundkvist’s value right now.

Casual fans might not realize it, but Lundkvist is a two-way game manager who is about smash the record for points by a teenage D in the SHL. I’d argue his value his higher than any prospect in our organization not named Shesterkin. Lundkvist has passed Kravtsov and Miller for many fans. Virtanen and a 1st is not a good long term move for the Rangers and we know it.
He's on pace for 47.8 points and has 19 in his last 24. You actually checked the statistics, saw I'd rounded up from a difference that tiny, and thought it was worth mentioning?

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
He's on pace for 47.8 points and has 19 in his last 24. You actually checked the statistics, saw I'd rounded up from a difference that tiny, and thought it was worth mentioning?

Your math continues to be incorrect. 46.8 points.

I don’t like when people minimally exaggerate statistics to influence an argument.

Reactions: wolfgaze

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
How?

A middle 6 winger who averages at 0.36 points is better than a record breaking 19 year RHD with a high ceiling?

Sure

....but let me guess the responses?..."Virtanen is on pace for 40 plus points this year"

Kaapo Kakko averages 0.37ppg in the NHL. Are the Rangers willing to trade him for Aidan Mcdonough who's at 1ppg as a college Freshman?

....but let me guess the responses?..."Kaapo Kakko has room to improve" :sarcasm:

If the Rangers don't want to trade Kakko b/c of his potential, why would the Canucks trade Jake Virtanen who is finally realizing his?

Reactions: zcaptain

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Your math continues to be incorrect. 46.8 points.

I don’t like when people minimally exaggerate statistics to influence an argument.
I don't either, it's annoying. Point taken. The Canucks have played one more game than I realized, but it's definitely 47.8 over an 82 game season.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Kaapo Kakko averages 0.37ppg in the NHL. Are the Rangers willing to trade him for Aidan Mcdonough who's at 1ppg as a college Freshman?

....but let me guess the responses?..."Kaapo Kakko has room to improve" :sarcasm:

If the Rangers don't want to trade Kakko b/c of his potential, why would the Canucks trade Jake Virtanen who is finally realizing his?
Oh dear lord!

QJL

Jan 2, 2014

If you think Kakko and Virtanen have similar potential, nobody can help you.

bandwagonesque

Mar 5, 2014
Jesus Christ. That isn't what he's saying. He's making an analogy that depends on the implied knowledge that the two players aren't comparable.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
How?

Sure

Virtanen will be a 50+ point winger with good defense, physicality (leads our team in hits), and elite skating. There are still areas where he can improve like going to the net more, but he is basically a top 6 winger at this point. You can’t just use his average ppg over the last few years because this year he is a lot better than any of those years, and isn’t just on a hot streak of 10-15 games which he has done in the past. He has been this good for almost the entire season.
Andersson > Juolevi and Lundkvist > Virtanen in terms of value.

The 1st was to make up the difference, otherwise the Rangers would never even consider it obviously.

Andersson is basically equal to Juolevi. If they’re not equal, they’re value is made equal by the fact that your guy has asked for a trade.

Lundkvist is not worth more than a 23 year old 2nd line winger with the attributes that Virtanen brings and still is likely to get better. If your prospect is so good why not keep him?

Even if you think he is better, the difference is not a 1st round pixk. Absolutely ridiculous.
Canucks fans would probably change their tune if Virtanen isn't having the season he is now.
Well no shit?

Last edited:
Reactions: settinguptheplay

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Oh dear lord!

Be real. Your whole argument has been misleading and inconsistent.

Take things out of context if you like, it doesn't help your argument:

"If the Rangers don't want to trade Kakko b/c of his potential, why would the Canucks trade Jake Virtanen who is finally realizing his?"

Kaapo Kakko = has potential.
Jake Virtanen = realizing his potential.

That's what that sentence meant. No ceiling comparison made to each other.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Virtanen makes no sense for the Rangers right now and Juolevi wouldn’t maybe be the 5th best defensive prospect right now for the Rangers. Lundkvist is probably the #1 or #2 prospect in the organization at this second. With him smashing U20 SHL records, I doubt they move him unless it’s as part of a package for an elite young talent with team control.

Vancouver could get value for Virtanen, but I doubt you’re gonna find a team that’s going to give up a prospect the caliber of Lundkvist right now.

The deal is horrendous for the Rangers, who it simply doesn’t make sense for but it isn’t exactly good for Vancouver either.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
To repeat myself, I know that. As I said, I hadn't realized Virtanen had played fewer games than the team. And "multiple" isn't a verb.

This makes no sense. If you thought Virtanen had played as many games as the team, it could only lead to his ppg being lower.

Tempo

Jun 13, 2019
Utter trash proposal for the Nucks.

Wouldn’t even consider this if the 1st was dropped.

Reactions: gianni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad