Proposal: [NYR/VAN] Nils Lundkvist & Lias Andersson for Jake Virtanen, Olli Juolevi, 1st

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
VAN receives:
Nils Lundkvist
Lias Andersson

NYR receives:
Jake Virtanen
Olli Juolevi
2020 first-round pick (or 2021 if the Canucks make the playoffs this season and their 2020 pick goes to Tampa)

Lias gets his fresh start with Elias in Vancouver, Lundkvist (who I believe it the most valuable piece in this trade) hits the Vancouver top-4 in a season or two.

Virtanen replaces Fast/Strome in the Rangers top-9.
Juolevi probably won't amount to anything but a new organization couldn't hurt at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
f*** no. Not trading Nils and the Canucks first goes to TB from the Miller trade?

Virtanen is whatever, he seems to be finally coming into his own this season but he doesn't move the needle. Juolevi hasn't shown anything to be worth trading for.

Nils is off the table here, regardless of the RHD depth ahead of him.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Virtanen is a 23 year old on pace for 47 points.

I'd say
virtanen>andersson

Lundkvist is a 28th pick. Canucks are currently sporting 19th/20th pick. I'd say it's safe to say Lundkvist has moved up his draft value to a 15-20 pick.

So Lundkvist = or > Van 2020 1st

Assuming one considers the trade somewhat fair at that point, I don't believe there is any reason for Juolevi to be in this deal.

Or one could consider Juolevi and Andersson closer in value and remove Virtanen from the deal.

Reactions: bert

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hell no from Vancouver! The most valuable piece is Virtanen who we’ve waited years to finally become a good player and we are not trading him, a first round pick (which we probably don’t have) plus Juolevi for the Rangers fifth best prospect even with their deep pool.
Take out the first and Juolevi and it’s closer but I’d rather just keep Virtanen at this point.

Last edited:

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
**** no. Not trading Nils and the Canucks first goes to TB from the Miller trade?

Virtanen is whatever, he seems to be finally coming into his own this season but he doesn't move the needle. Juolevi hasn't shown anything to be worth trading for.

Nils is off the table here, regardless of the RHD depth ahead of him.

Only if the Canucks make the playoffs, which is far from guaranteed. Otherwise, 2021.

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
Vancouver right now at this moment can only offer a 2022 1st round pick

They literally can't trade the other 1st round pick that tampa doesnt get because of the clause.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Only if the Canucks make the playoffs, which is far from guaranteed. Otherwise, 2021.

So they still can't trade this 1st since is tied up in the Miller trade. And you think they're trading their 1st in back to back years? Yikes.

This is a bad trade for both teams to be honest. Benning is clearly in win now mode and trading their 5th best forward for a prospect goes against all the moves he made this past summer to get the Canucks in playoff positioning. And they've been waiting on Virtanen for years, they're going to trade him just now when they are finally starting to get returns on the top 10 pick they used to draft him?

I dont see what Virtanen does for the Rangers, he will need a new contract and we will already be tight against the cap with other more important players getting new deals that will take up the last of our cap space, and Juolevi hasn't shown anything since he was drafted to be on our radar.

Nils is very quickly jumping up the prospect rankings. Could very well be a top 10-15 drafted prospect by the end of this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Johnson

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
Vancouver right now at this moment can only offer a 2022 1st round pick

They literally can't trade the other 1st round pick that tampa doesnt get because of the clause.

The trade can be made at the draft when the clause is already decided.

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
So they're trading their 1st in back to back years? Yikes.

This is a bad trade for both teams to be honest. Benning is clearly in win now mode and trading their 5th best forward for a prospect goes against all the moves he made this past summer to get the Canucks in playoff positioning. And they've been waiting on Virtanen for years, they're going to trade him just now when they are finally starting to get returns on the top 10 pick they used to draft him?

I dont see what Virtanen does for the Rangers, he will need a new contract and we will already be tight against the cap with other more important players getting new deals that will take up the last of it, and Juolevi hasn't shown anything since he was drafted to be on our radar.

Nils is very quickly jumping up the prospect rankings. Could very well be a top 10-15 drafted prospect by the end of this season.
Just a nitpick- I don’t think it’s really reasonable to say Virtanen has done enough to pass Pearson.

Bo, Petey, Brock and Miller are clearly their top 4.

IDJOTBOY

Jan 7, 2014
Surrey, BC
Not sure if this this trade makes sense from a Canucks perspective. Lundkvist's numbers in the SHL look good but it seems like Virtanen has been having a breakout year and Juolevi is doing better in the AHL after sustaining multiple injuries. Also I don't think 2020 or 2021 1st is available due to the conditions from the JT Miller trade.

FoxyClean

Gets The Tough Pucks Out
Sep 19, 2016
Brooklyn
So we are trading essentially our 3rd best prospect for a player having a breakout season but still doesn't really move the needle for us but will need a new contract with a hefty raise? With what cap space exactly?

At least 2 of, if not all 3 of Kreider/Strome/Fast are gone after this season.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Keep your prospects, we'll keep our roster player and our 1st (future, I presume).

We're finally getting our 20 goals out of Virtanen, Andersson's requested a trade, Juolevi is worth very little until he plays steadily in the NHL, and Lundqvist is apparently blowing up. There is a lot to dislike from both sides.

We need a top six forward and/or a top six D for this year, and cap relief. This gives us a future pair of potential top six guys, we lose one we're using as one, no D and very little cap relief.

It's an easy pass from the Canucks.

Last edited:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Two thumbs down from this guy.

Lundqvist is having a great year in Sweden and we'll need him for the name once Hank retires. I get that the Rangers have a glut of D prospects that could be used to bulk up the forward core, but I don't think this is it.

Surely this is a poorly thought out trade from a Canucks perspective too - they currently lead their division and you expect them to trade away a productive guy for futures?

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Lundkvist is good but we can't be giving up 1sts because of the Tampa trade.

I think a deal would have to centered around Virtanen + one of Gaudette or Madden

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I have no idea why Vancouver should entertain the idea of this even without the 1st round pick (or any pick).

Lias Andersson is currently worth zero. Hope he gets his head back in the game.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Pass. Trading 1st rounders for prospects and guys who wanted to get traded seems....bad. Add in the fact Jake is playing well, and Juolevi has turned a corner and you have a hard no.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->