Value of: NYR Trade Deadline Thoughts

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
So, theres a lot of smoke around Kreider this deadline. Curious about the Penguins. Many big names have said Kreider won't be cheap, so I was curious if the Penguins would do something around 1st + POJ or 1st + Hallander to get him?

I know the Rangers will want more than Kreider, but is one of those prospects + the 1st too much to ask from the Pens?

Lots of rumors saying Rangers could get 1st + Jost for Kreider, so that would probably be the go-to deal for NYR if this can't happen with Penguins...just was curious how highly Pens value those 2 prospects.

Also (have fun reading this lol, I got on a roll):

1) Similar to Talbot when Sather overplayed his hand, if the Rangers get offered a 1st, especially in this years Draft for AG, I think they should take it. Sure he's young, but he doesn't fit. Shesterkin's body or work in the KHL, AHL, and showing no signs of not being able to handle the NHL (I know, small sample size), makes it apparent he is the guy of the future for NYR. Hank can still play, will continue to help Igor along the way, and has been completely understanding about the decreased starts. Georgiev will want to be a number 1 eventually....the time is not now, and the time will not be in his future.

I don't know if a team who has any need (big or small) for current and future goaltending (TOR, CGY, EDM, SJS, MIN, NJD, OTT, DET, BUF) ponying up their first round pick for AG. That is why, despite NYR tryign to drvie up price through leaks with Dreger, I doubt they get anything more than a 2nd + (near or) NHL ready young player and maybe a roster player for him.

The best I'd expect is either 2nd + Bracco + Timashov from Leafs or Labanc + 2nd from Sharks.

2) The truth lies somewhere in the middle on Strome. He's certainly not the 65-70 pt pace player he's been on, mostly because of Panarin; but he's not the trash some people say he is. Last year, without Panarin, he was a .5 PPG player. There is value in the chemistry he has with Panarin, but theres two issues. I don't see him working long term as a top 6 C (Chytil will deserve that role behind Mika soon enough), and he will likely want to be paid as if he were prodcuing at his 'Panarin clip" when he likely won't be able to stick with Panarin if signed to a long-term deal.

Kravtsov Kakko is the top 6 RW future, while Mika Filip is the top 6 C look. No room for Strome in there. If his ask is in the $3.5-$4M range, I'd say pay him because he can be a solid 3rd line C/RW that produces at a .5 PPG clip on a contending team. But my best bet says he wants to be paid for the production he's producing at right now. If there was long term viability to his partnership with Panarin, it wouldn't be the end of the world if NYR overpayed him when he'll continue to produce like that, but I think NYR see this and will ultimately trade him because the salary he'll want for his production now will not match his production in the long-term.

I'd say a fair return for a player like this would be along the lines of the returns for Marcus Johasson when he was traded in the past. Likely closer to the return the Caps got for him from the Devils 2nd + 3rd. I could also see a younger player coming back for Strome, as Strome is more established. I know the Jets are in limbo with Byfugliens situaion, but they are always searching for a center, and Strome can play with good wingers. Jack Roslovic has never really found his stride in WPG, I wonder if he can't come to NY for Strome? Just a random thought.

3) I was very supportive of Buchnevich when he was producing in a lesser role and deserved a bigger one based on merit. But merit works both ways, and after 3 ish years of saying the breakout into a 60 point player is coming based on "perceived impact", the results still don't match. Kakko and Kravtsov will surpass him, so it would be a mistake to keep him, and pay him like the player he is "supposed" to become, when he still hasn't and won't produce like one when he gets knocked down the depth chart. The long term high AAV deal everyone was yelling for would've turned out badly had they decided to not bridge him, and it will turn out badly if they sign him to it now.

In my opinion, both eye test and advanced stats play significant roles in player evaluation. But in the end, a continued trend of results not matching what is expected, results win out. The time is now to trade Buchnevich so someone else can make that mistake and not us.

I would expect a similar young player in return. I could see the Rangers asking a 1st + a roster player from a contending team since Buch is and RFA at end of this deal and is still young, but don't know if any team would give that up right now. I proposed a Penguins look, with something like their 1st + Galchenyuk for Buch + NYR 3rd, but got mixed reviews from Pens fans and hard passes from NYR fans. I personally think Galchenyuk could be a fit as LW behind Panarin at just 25 and would get a better role here with chance for improvement. Could also see a deal with EDM about Buch for Puljujarvi +. A Vancouver fan mentioned Buch for Hoglander + Baertschi with $ retained but I don't know if VAN would be interested in movign Hoglander so soon or if NYR would bite on a guy that far from NHL when they likely look to be back in Playoffs within 2 years.

Not a young player for young player swap in the ilk of the above, but wonder if Flyers would inquire about a deal involving Buch and Gostisbehere. Not sure of Ghost's stock, so would need input from youguys on filling out details. Not probable though considering divisional rival status.

4) Could see a possible Jesper Fast trade with Vancouver. Once again I would see Baertschi coming back as cap equalizer, while also being a young bottom-6 option at just 25 for the Rangers. He's been productive in the past. Likely see a 4th round pick coming back with Baertschi (maybe with condition of it being 3rd if Fast re-signs).

While I'd love to keep Fast in the fold in NY, don't see it being possible unless the salary is below $3M...don't think it will be though. With Zibanejad needing a new deal in 3 years, Panarin and Trouba at above $8M, NYR can't afford to overpay guys like Fast, no matter how valuable, because guys slightly less effective can be found in FA for 1/3 the price.

5) Brady Skjei's name has been around. I think he has more value on the Rangers than in a trade. He's shown potential, but has had trouble with staying even keel and with consistency. He's either really good or really bad and they switch far too often. I think the best option is to hope he finds the potential that he was awarded his contract under.

If the Rangers decided to go the trade route, I honestly have no clue what he'd be worth. I'd have to assume it's atleast a 1st considering term and age, along with potential. If the Rangers don't want the pick, I'd guess a young LHD would be a swap.

In recap, these deals in a vaccum (obviously not all considering the fact that some of them are with the same team) would be best case scenario for NYR, while also staying close to what I think would be fair value:

To PIT: Chris Kreider
To NYR: 2020 1st, Filip Hallander/POJ, Alex Galchenyuk
or
To COL: Chris Kreider
To NYR: 2020 1st, Tyson Jost, 2021 4th (becomes 2021 3rd if Kreider re-signs/Avs win Cup...2021 2nd if both)
or
To TBL: Chris Kreider (50% retained)
To NYR: 2020 1st, Alex Barre-Boulet, conditional 2021 3rd if Kreider re-signs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To VAN: Jesper Fast
To NYR: Sven Baertschi, 2020 4th
or
To WSH: Jesper Fast
To NYR: 2020 3rd (ARZ)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To TOR: Alexandar Georgiev
To NYR: Jeremy Bracco, Dmytro Timashov, 2020 2nd
or
To SJS: Alexandar Georgiev
To NYR: Kevin Labanc, 2021 3rd
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To PIT: Pavel Buchnevich, 2020 3rd (DAL)
To NYR: 2020 1st, Alex Galchenyuk
or
To VAN: Pavel Buchnevich
To NYR: Nils Hoglander, Sven Baertschi ($ retained)
or
To PHI: Pavel Buchnevich
To NYR: Shayne Gostisbehere (don't know if 1-for-1 suffices with either side, assuming other pieces needed, just not sure what)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To : Ryan Strome
To NYR: Jack Roslovic, 2020 3rd (2020 2nd?)
or
To DET: Ryan Strome
To NYR: Andreas Athanasiou (+?)

One last random thought, what if Marc Staal waives his NTC to play out his contract with brother in MIN? Would Wild be interested in doing something around Rask for Staal with pieces added? Don't know much about the situation with Rask post Niedereitter trade so just an outlandish thought that likely won't happen. NYR will most likely have to buyout Staal.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Out of all the trades you have proposed in both threads.....
Georgiev to SJS for Leblanc and a 2nd(I know you said 3rd but in your explanation you said 2nd).

seems like the type of move NY would look for to trade Geo.

Strome for AA is intriguing but not sure Detroit thinks so.

Why are you infatuated with Galchenyuk? He is a UFA who we won't resign, so he has no value to us.

Baertshi was waived a couple of weeks ago, NY is not interested in him.

With Staal, Smith and Hank coming off the cap summer of 21, the Rangers open up like a bajillion dollars...maybe about 18m. We can wait until then, we aren't going anywhere next season.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Krieder deal is right in line of the value most have established on here.
You shouldn't trade fast for either of those returns.
Geo isn't returning Lablanc and a 2nd.
Skeij isn't returning a first. Neither is buchnevich.
Winnepeg says no. Vancouver says no. Toronto says yes. Don't know about the detroit deal. Ghost is injured. Pittsburgh says no about the buch deal. Can't see Minnesota taking on another dman and a higher salary to swap with rask.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Krieder deal is right in line of the value most have established on here.
You shouldn't trade fast for either of those returns.
Geo isn't returning Lablanc and a 2nd.
Skeij isn't returning a first. Neither is buchnevich.
Winnepeg says no. Vancouver says no. Toronto says yes. Don't know about the detroit deal. Ghost is injured. Pittsburgh says no about the buch deal. Can't see Minnesota taking on another dman and a higher salary to swap with rask.
I think a 3rd, or a young bottom-6 forward is the most you'll get for Fast. If he re-signs for less than $3M I'm completely fine with keeping him. But, I don't think he will and I'd rather get something than nothing. Guys can always be signed from the bargain bin in FA who may not be as effective but come much, much cheaper

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Out of all the trades you have proposed in both threads.....
Georgiev to SJS for Leblanc and a 2nd(I know you said 3rd but in your explanation you said 2nd).

seems like the type of move NY would look for to trade Geo.

Strome for AA is intriguing but not sure Detroit thinks so.

Why are you infatuated with Galchenyuk? He is a UFA who we won't resign, so he has no value to us.

Baertshi was waived a couple of weeks ago, NY is not interested in him.

With Staal, Smith and Hank coming off the cap summer of 21, the Rangers open up like a bajillion dollars...maybe about 18m. We can wait until then, we aren't going anywhere next season.
I personally really like Galchenyuk. Feel we could offer him an opportunity as 2LW for rest of season, and don't see why he wouldn't re-sign considering we don't have any imminent LW's who would overtake him if he earns the new deal. I think getting the 1st for Buch in a loaded year like this is more than enough, Galchenyuk is just a no risk, potential reward scenario.

He'll definitely come cheaper than the $4.9M he's at, and if it works post deadline why wouldn't he want to stay, and if it doesn't we won't offer.

Wasn't aware Baertschi was waived recently, thought it was at start of season.

Not arguing about the Detroit point you make.

Staal was just one outlandish thought I had to throw in bc I'm always thinking LOL, nothign serious just a pipe dream

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
For Detroit, no thanks. Strome is going to want to be paid with money and term.

At least Detroit can bargain better against AA.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
to me, neither Baertschi nor Galchenyuk are that desirable

from Vancouver, for the non-Baertschi non-pick F's i'd prefer younger F's (aside from, along with Hoglander) such as Lind, Madden, Keppen,

from Pens, similar, for the non-Galchen non-pick F's, (aside from , along with Hallander) guys such as Bjorqvist and Caufield
I could see Fast to Pens for the non-Hallander guys

my dream hope for Strome is Ottawa for Jon Gruden and Anisimov or Gruden and a high-ish pick

i think Kreider needs up in Denver ...

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I personally really like Galchenyuk. Feel we could offer him an opportunity as 2LW for rest of season, and don't see why he wouldn't re-sign considering we don't have any imminent LW's who would overtake him if he earns the new deal. I think getting the 1st for Buch in a loaded year like this is more than enough, Galchenyuk is just a no risk, potential reward scenario.

He'll definitely come cheaper than the $4.9M he's at, and if it works post deadline why wouldn't he want to stay, and if it doesn't we won't offer.

Wasn't aware Baertschi was waived recently, thought it was at start of season.

Not arguing about the Detroit point you make.

Staal was just one outlandish thought I had to throw in bc I'm always thinking LOL, nothign serious just a pipe dream

I think Chucky is the same type of player that Buch is....and Quinn hates that. If we could sign him on the cheap, I might make a pitch for him as a UFA....after all of our RFA's are taken care of. I am basing much of what I post under the notion that the Rangers are still serious about this rebuild. I estimate that means no aging vets or UFA's and no serious additions to the cap unless it is for a young player under contract that fits our needs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
No use for any of Galchenyuk, Baertschi or Bracco----they're all other team's junk or garage sale shit. Tymashov doesn't do a whole lot for me either.

Jesper Fast is a good player. I wouldn't break the bank for him but I'd rather take my chances re-signing him than only get a 3rd rounder for him. We don't need Gostisbehere either.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I think Chucky is the same type of player that Buch is....and Quinn hates that. If we could sign him on the cheap, I might make a pitch for him as a UFA....after all of our RFA's are taken care of. I am basing much of what I post under the notion that the Rangers are still serious about this rebuild. I estimate that means no aging vets or UFA's and no serious additions to the cap unless it is for a young player under contract that fits our needs.
fair enough...now that you bring up quinn, whatre your thoughts on him? just curious to hear other NYR fans views

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
No use for any of Galchenyuk, Baertschi or Bracco----they're all other team's junk or garage sale ****. Tymashov doesn't do a whole lot for me either.

Jesper Fast is a good player. I wouldn't break the bank for him but I'd rather take my chances re-signing him than only get a 3rd rounder for him. We don't need Gostisbehere either.
I should have mentioned that Gostisbehere is someone I'd only really think about getting if Skjei gets moved, which I don't want him to be. Not that they are the same player in any way, just that he'd be a young-ish established guy on left side as opposed to staal lindgren hajek/rykov being a putrid left side next season

Apr 9, 2009
USA
to me, neither Baertschi nor Galchenyuk are that desirable

from Vancouver, for the non-Baertschi non-pick F's i'd prefer younger F's (aside from, along with Hoglander) such as Lind, Madden, Keppen,

from Pens, similar, for the non-Galchen non-pick F's, (aside from , along with Hallander) guys such as Bjorqvist and Caufield
I could see Fast to Pens for the non-Hallander guys

my dream hope for Strome is Ottawa for Jon Gruden and Anisimov or Gruden and a high-ish pick

i think Kreider needs up in Denver ...

No use for any of Galchenyuk, Baertschi or Bracco----they're all other team's junk or garage sale ****. Tymashov doesn't do a whole lot for me either.

Galchenyuk isn't really in there for value. The value is the first and the prospect. Gally is a free agent after this season.

Why focus on the parts of the trade that are absolutely meaningless while ignoring where the actual value was? Strange. I don't care if you guys don't want to do the trade, I just don't understand your thought processes.

Reactions: kinger8998

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
fair enough...now that you bring up quinn, whatre your thoughts on him? just curious to hear other NYR fans views

My opinion is that he is relatively terrible at deploying some of the young players. I don't understand why Stall plays 17 or 18 minutes a game. I don't understand his love for Howden and hate for Buch. I think he has thrown some of his players under the bus and a good coach doesn't do that. I don't think he is the guy to pilot the ship after the rebuild is complete.

I think he was hired because he "works well" with young players but he was a college coach who worked with young players.....so take that for what it is worth. I wish he brought his own guys in here and they could get rid of Ruff.

I think the Rangers need a defensive system and whatever Ruff employs is bad, it was bad in Dallas and it isn't working here.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
My opinion is that he is relatively terrible at deploying some of the young players. I don't understand why Stall plays 17 or 18 minutes a game. I don't understand his love for Howden and hate for Buch. I think he has thrown some of his players under the bus and a good coach doesn't do that. I don't think he is the guy to pilot the ship after the rebuild is complete.

I think he was hired because he "works well" with young players but he was a college coach who worked with young players.....so take that for what it is worth. I wish he brought his own guys in here and they could get rid of Ruff.

I think the Rangers need a defensive system and whatever Ruff employs is bad, it was bad in Dallas and it isn't working here.
100% on board with most of what you said, except for Buch. I'm firmly in the camp that he's had his fair shake the past 2 years (closer to 2.5), especially so this season. I like Buch at his value now, because that's all he's worth, not at the value his next contract will be.

Is it Quinn's defensive system or Ruff's that purposely gives up the defensive blue line and allows zone entry? That's a set up for disaster. I'd like to see that stats but I'd assume that a large portion of goals against come off the rush against us because of this strategy. Also, other goals that come from zone time for the opposing team would greatly be cut down as well if we didn't allow them zone entry in the first place.

I'd always assumed the system was Quinn's. Are you saying it's Ruff's?

On the young player deployment I'm with you. Don't think Andersson got a fair shake at the start of this season, while his injuries/mental health and the entire situation since then isn't directly on Quinn, you wonder what could've happened had Andersson been given a fair opportunity when he deserved it out of training camp...

If I'm not mistake Staal has actually been good since returning from his injury, as he and Tony D have been a solid D pair. I wish DQ would learn that Staal isn't a 16-18 TOI consistently. He can be effective at those minutes when rested.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Galchenyuk isn't really in there for value. The value is the first and the prospect. Gally is a free agent after this season.

Why focus on the parts of the trade that are absolutely meaningless while ignoring where the actual value was? Strange. I don't care if you guys don't want to do the trade, I just don't understand your thought processes.
This. Although Galchenyuk does not have much value to the Pens (their reported ask is a bottom-6 forward or a "mid-round" pick 1 for 1), I think he can have value to the Rangers. A 20-game audition at the end of the season does not harm when you're moving out the bodies that the Rangers are expected to move out at the TDL.

Your point stands true though, Galchenyuk is quite literally the tertiary piece in the deal. Little value to Pens, possible value to Rangers. The real assets to NYR are the pick + prospect.

Similar to the Boston trade with Nash. Does anyone really think the Rangers absolutely insisted on Beleskey? No, it was a cap implication and a body for the Rangers post deadline...you still need to ice a team.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010

Maybe i missed some of your points
But one of my main priorities, in any of these deals, is bring back 1st-year ELC, or preELC players, not older guys NYR wont need, not guys who might be vulnerable in expansion draft.
Contention time doesnt come til '21-22, thats the roster i would prioritize

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
1) Similar to Talbot when Sather overplayed his hand, if the Rangers get offered a 1st, especially in this years Draft for AG, I think they should take it.
Got any proof to back up your claim that Slats overplayed his hand on Talbot? The only time I've ever seen that mentioned here is via rampant speculation from bernmeister. Speaking of bern, minus you not claiming Kravtsov will be a center and trying to move Zibanejad to wing to accommodate Boo Nieves and his famous synergy, this post reads alot like his do. Things that make you go Hmmmmm

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I should have mentioned that Gostisbehere is someone I'd only really think about getting if Skjei gets moved, which I don't want him to be. Not that they are the same player in any way, just that he'd be a young-ish established guy on left side as opposed to staal lindgren hajek/rykov being a putrid left side next season

Gostisbehere is older than Skjei is though. He's never been very good defensively and his overall play the last couple years has got him frequently benched. His offensive numbers have dropped a lot and he's sub 6' and the Rangers already have a smallish D. Tack on a $4.5 mil cap hit for the next three years. Is this guy flaming out? Is he the next Michael Del Zotto? I'd have a lot of concerns about him if we traded for him and we have plenty of D in the pipeline that's a lot cheaper--that are going to need their chances and we're going to be carry his cap hit around anyway? Rangers D if anything needs to tighten up not add more offense.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Okay if you want to go there. Buchnevich and a 3rd for a Pittsburgh 1st is too much on our part. Take out the 3rd and it's better. He's a youngish 40+ point player whose overall and physical game has gotten better. There's a decent possibility he'd really break out playing with either Malkin or Crosby.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
So, theres a lot of smoke around Kreider this deadline. Curious about the Penguins. Many big names have said Kreider won't be cheap, so I was curious if the Penguins would do something around 1st + POJ or 1st + Hallander to get him?

I know the Rangers will want more than Kreider, but is one of those prospects + the 1st too much to ask from the Pens?

Lots of rumors saying Rangers could get 1st + Jost for Kreider, so that would probably be the go-to deal for NYR if this can't happen with Penguins...just was curious how highly Pens value those 2 prospects.

1) Similar to Talbot when Sather overplayed his hand, if the Rangers get offered a 1st, especially in this years Draft for AG, I think they should take it. Sure he's young, but he doesn't fit. Shesterkin's body or work in the KHL, AHL, and showing no signs of not being able to handle the NHL (I know, small sample size), makes it apparent he is the guy of the future for NYR. Hank can still play, will continue to help Igor along the way, and has been completely understanding about the decreased starts. Georgiev will want to be a number 1 eventually....the time is not now, and the time will not be in his future.

I don't know if a team who has any need (big or small) for current and future goaltending (TOR, CGY, EDM, SJS, MIN, NJD, OTT, DET, BUF) ponying up their first round pick for AG. That is why, despite NYR tryign to drvie up price through leaks with Dreger, I doubt they get anything more than a 2nd + (near or) NHL ready young player and maybe a roster player for him.

The best I'd expect is either 2nd + Bracco + Timashov from Leafs or Labanc + 2nd from Sharks.

2) The truth lies somewhere in the middle on Strome. He's certainly not the 65-70 pt pace player he's been on, mostly because of Panarin; but he's not the trash some people say he is. Last year, without Panarin, he was a .5 PPG player. There is value in the chemistry he has with Panarin, but theres two issues. I don't see him working long term as a top 6 C (Chytil will deserve that role behind Mika soon enough), and he will likely want to be paid as if he were prodcuing at his 'Panarin clip" when he likely won't be able to stick with Panarin if signed to a long-term deal.

Kravtsov Kakko is the top 6 RW future, while Mika Filip is the top 6 C look. No room for Strome in there. If his ask is in the $3.5-$4M range, I'd say pay him because he can be a solid 3rd line C/RW that produces at a .5 PPG clip on a contending team. But my best bet says he wants to be paid for the production he's producing at right now. If there was long term viability to his partnership with Panarin, it wouldn't be the end of the world if NYR overpayed him when he'll continue to produce like that, but I think NYR see this and will ultimately trade him because the salary he'll want for his production now will not match his production in the long-term.

I'd say a fair return for a player like this would be along the lines of the returns for Marcus Johasson when he was traded in the past. Likely closer to the return the Caps got for him from the Devils 2nd + 3rd. I could also see a younger player coming back for Strome, as Strome is more established. I know the Jets are in limbo with Byfugliens situaion, but they are always searching for a center, and Strome can play with good wingers. Jack Roslovic has never really found his stride in WPG, I wonder if he can't come to NY for Strome? Just a random thought.

3) I was very supportive of Buchnevich when he was producing in a lesser role and deserved a bigger one based on merit. But merit works both ways, and after 3 ish years of saying the breakout into a 60 point player is coming based on "perceived impact", the results still don't match. Kakko and Kravtsov will surpass him, so it would be a mistake to keep him, and pay him like the player he is "supposed" to become, when he still hasn't and won't produce like one when he gets knocked down the depth chart. The long term high AAV deal everyone was yelling for would've turned out badly had they decided to not bridge him, and it will turn out badly if they sign him to it now.

In my opinion, both eye test and advanced stats play significant roles in player evaluation. But in the end, a continued trend of results not matching what is expected, results win out. The time is now to trade Buchnevich so someone else can make that mistake and not us.

I would expect a similar young player in return. I could see the Rangers asking a 1st + a roster player from a contending team since Buch is and RFA at end of this deal and is still young, but don't know if any team would give that up right now. I proposed a Penguins look, with something like their 1st + Galchenyuk for Buch + NYR 3rd, but got mixed reviews from Pens fans and hard passes from NYR fans. I personally think Galchenyuk could be a fit as LW behind Panarin at just 25 and would get a better role here with chance for improvement. Could also see a deal with EDM about Buch for Puljujarvi +. A Vancouver fan mentioned Buch for Hoglander + Baertschi with $ retained but I don't know if VAN would be interested in movign Hoglander so soon or if NYR would bite on a guy that far from NHL when they likely look to be back in Playoffs within 2 years.

Not a young player for young player swap in the ilk of the above, but wonder if Flyers would inquire about a deal involving Buch and Gostisbehere. Not sure of Ghost's stock, so would need input from youguys on filling out details. Not probable though considering divisional rival status.

4) Could see a possible Jesper Fast trade with Vancouver. Once again I would see Baertschi coming back as cap equalizer, while also being a young bottom-6 option at just 25 for the Rangers. He's been productive in the past. Likely see a 4th round pick coming back with Baertschi (maybe with condition of it being 3rd if Fast re-signs).

While I'd love to keep Fast in the fold in NY, don't see it being possible unless the salary is below $3M...don't think it will be though. With Zibanejad needing a new deal in 3 years, Panarin and Trouba at above $8M, NYR can't afford to overpay guys like Fast, no matter how valuable, because guys slightly less effective can be found in FA for 1/3 the price.

5) Brady Skjei's name has been around. I think he has more value on the Rangers than in a trade. He's shown potential, but has had trouble with staying even keel and with consistency. He's either really good or really bad and they switch far too often. I think the best option is to hope he finds the potential that he was awarded his contract under.

If the Rangers decided to go the trade route, I honestly have no clue what he'd be worth. I'd have to assume it's atleast a 1st considering term and age, along with potential. If the Rangers don't want the pick, I'd guess a young LHD would be a swap.

In recap, these deals in a vaccum (obviously not all considering the fact that some of them are with the same team) would be best case scenario for NYR, while also staying close to what I think would be fair value:

or
To NYR: 2020 1st, Tyson Jost, 2021 4th (becomes 2021 3rd if Kreider re-signs/Avs win Cup...2021 2nd if both)
or
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or
or
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
or
or
To NYR: Shayne Gostisbehere (don't know if 1-for-1 suffices with either side, assuming other pieces needed, just not sure what)
or

One last random thought, what if Marc Staal waives his NTC to play out his contract with brother in MIN? Would Wild be interested in doing something around Rask for Staal with pieces added? Don't know much about the situation with Rask post Niedereitter trade so just an outlandish thought that likely won't happen. NYR will most likely have to buyout Staal.
Canucks have zero interest in Fast, but I would do the Buchnevich trade.

Also, theres no chance in hell you get Labanc for Georgiev.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009

or
or
or
or
or
or
or

Pit doesnt seem like a likely trade partner. Their price for any Rangers pieces would be higher than for a non-divisional rival.

I personally would love Athanasiou. Not sure if Strome is the piece i would send but he's a guy wouth targeting.

Reactions: kinger8998

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad