Confirmed with Link: [NYR/TBL] Callahan/2015 1st/Cond 2014 2nd to TBL for Martin St. Louis/Cond pick Pt.II

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Wonder what San Jose was offering for Cally. Apparently Sather was offering a 2nd and Cally for msl and yzerman would only make the deal w the first

If Cally left as a rental then what would yzerman want back as a player then ?

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcAqZ?

Lightning Name Stamkos Captain

via ble.ac/teamstream-

yzerman... What a putz such a disrespect naming stamkos your captain the DAY AFTER you ship your captain out..

How is that disrespectful (or did I miss the humour somewhere)? Naming the captain the day before shipping out MSL may have been slightly disrespectful but doing it after he's gone is called doing business

ajdj10

Feb 14, 2012
Neverland
How is that disrespectful (or did I miss the humour somewhere)? Naming the captain the day before shipping out MSL may have been slightly disrespectful but doing it after he's gone is called doing business
Disrespectful coz Cally wasn't considered for the C.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Wonder what San Jose was offering for Cally. Apparently Sather was offering a 2nd and Cally for msl and yzerman would only make the deal w the first

If Cally left as a rental then what would yzerman want back as a player then ?

Dreger added that CBJ was another team involved.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut

only person who has lacked class is all this is MSL. i'm happy hes here, happy we've benefitted, but its the truth.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
http://bleacherreport.com/tb/dcAqZ?

Lightning Name Stamkos Captain

via ble.ac/teamstream-

yzerman... What a putz such a disrespect naming stamkos your captain the DAY AFTER you ship your captain out..

That's the best possible decision he can make. It's Stamkos' team now and getting everyone on board with that rather than sitting around thinking about MSL is a very good move.

They are moving on and focusing on now.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I read that Sather said the clincher was when Cally would not back off the NTC. Just something interesting in that a demand for a No Trade Clause played the key role in the trade. An indication perhaps that the two sides were ready to part ways.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Just speculating, anyone think there's a chance Cally tests the open market and nobody offers him more than 6x6? If not, and he decided to come back to NYR, could it work in under the cap?

All I know is a lineup of

Kreider-Richards-MSL
Zucc-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-Cally
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

Would be a damn sweet lineup. Let Brass and Pou walk to fit Cally under the cap? Give 3c duties to Miller? Hags-Miller-Cally could be a fantastic checking line. Give Cally PP minutes too.

I know it's just me trying to tell myself everything will be okay lol. It's just weird Cally being gone. Thought he'd be here for the long haul and hopefully life the cup one day. I know Sather's stance was the correct one and the right decision for the franchise, but I'll still miss Cally.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
1FpkaKk.jpg

Cally. Please come back.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Don't know if anybody else caught the Tampa game tonight, but man that was difficult. I don't think I can watch them again...not only to see Callahan in a different jersey but how good he looked. He was playing really well...So it goes.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Don't know if anybody else caught the Tampa game tonight, but man that was difficult. I don't think I can watch them again...not only to see Callahan in a different jersey but how good he looked. He was playing really well...So it goes.

6 million times 6 good? Gonna miss the guy a lot but the contract did seem insane and Well a team like buffalo will pay over that. Hoping he stays in tbay to get the 2nd though

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Just speculating, anyone think there's a chance Cally tests the open market and nobody offers him more than 6x6? If not, and he decided to come back to NYR, could it work in under the cap?

All I know is a lineup of

Kreider-Richards-MSL
Zucc-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Miller-Cally
Boyle-Moore-Carcillo

Would be a damn sweet lineup. Let Brass and Pou walk to fit Cally under the cap? Give 3c duties to Miller? Hags-Miller-Cally could be a fantastic checking line. Give Cally PP minutes too.

I know it's just me trying to tell myself everything will be okay lol. It's just weird Cally being gone. Thought he'd be here for the long haul and hopefully life the cup one day. I know Sather's stance was the correct one and the right decision for the franchise, but I'll still miss Cally.

Buyout Richards and play brassard In they spot. Stastny will be everyone's target at c so he will gets ton

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Callahan jerseys are $57 on NHL.com website if anybody wants one. Considering how much I paid for my winter classic jersey (figuring Cally would NEVER get traded) - that's a steal.

Todd Harvey

Dec 29, 2013
It was definitely odd seeing Cally wearing a Bolt uni; but this had to be. God knows Im no genius, but it became obvious 2 years ago in the ECF season that Callahan was expending an inordinate amount of his hockey life with his style of play, and he really never matured past diving in front of Zdeno Chara in 3-0 games. While I'd seen him compared to Drury many times, to myself and just the people I talk hockey with a lot, we thought he was becoming scarily similar to Mike Peca, in body type and how the injuries started to mount up. And the effective part of Peca's career ended prematurely. Not to say it will happen to Cally, no one can predict. And for his sake I hope he lasts, cause the guy is an old-time player. But you could just see back then this contract becoming a fork in the road. Cally needs to capitalize on the career he's had, and Sather was 100% correct in not locking the club into a long term deal here. I thought their 6-year offer was one they hoped Callahan wouldnt accept, because anything over 3 years lost rationality. Same time, I wouldve never given Lundqvist the monster deal he got, so what do I know? But, one more thing; Sather did get a player that definitely wants to be here, and even I couldnt believe the stat the other night, it'd somehow even escaped me. St Louis has more points than anybody the past 5 years; Crosby, Ovechkin, you name it. I also liked the suggestion I saw to flip Kreider and Hagelin. The 1st unit, which I really like, has grown stale; and they cannot waste MSL's playmaking ability. Maybe Marty will get Kreider going again, and it also adds some size to Richards & MSLs line, and means the first 3 lines would all have at least some size on the wing, if not snarl.
I think this team has a reasonable chance at success; a final four appearance is not out of the question; whether they get the **** beat out of them in the process, and just how much fight they have in them remains to be seen.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
Look at what MSL has done recently. He is an elite level scorer. NOW! Forget age. He'll be productive here longer than Callahan at a higher level....

You don't get a player like him for Callahan alone unless significant pieces are coming back.

Rangers can recoup the pick.

Nyrvana

Aug 29, 2008
Bronx, NY
www.nyrvana.net
Love the guys saying Callahan played so great. I watched part of the game and saw Callahan playing like he normally does - blocking shots, playing hard, and not scoring points. He ended with a -1 and the team lost 3-1. Cally is just not worth the constant risk he is playing so hard.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
The more I think about this trade, the more it pisses me off.

Time to stop thinking I guess.

Found this in reading through Sharks boards (See below). They feel they dodged a bullet by not getting Cally
I don't want to knock Cally as he squeezes every drop out of talent he has, but this has been my impression as well. I am not a Corsi nut, but it is something to consider.
He is overvalued by fans and media because of what a likeable and hard working guy he is. Sam & Joe rarely get on him even when he fumbles the puck away at the blue line as he is prone to do from time to time.

Callahan is one of those players who will always be overrated and overvalued in NHL circles because he brings grit, leadership, character and other all-important intangibles; he (allegedly) "does the little things that help you win" and "makes an impact that isn't visible on the scoresheet." I'm not saying none of those things matter or even that they're inaccurate descriptors of the hard-nosed, 5'11" right winger's game. But when you're giving up something tangible (draft picks, prospects, roster players, cap space, dollars) I think you had better get something tangible in return. And when it comes to providing tangible value, I'm not sold Callahan comes anywhere near matching the hype.

Consider this: of the 19 skaters who have played at least 20 five-on-five minutes alongside Callahan this season, 16 have a higher Corsi% (meaning the Rangers have done better at controlling play) away from him than with him. That's despite the fact that New York head coach Alain Vigneault has started Callahan in the offensive zone on a whopping 60.7% of his non-neutral 5v5 shifts. This year is far from an anomaly, either; there hasn't been a single season since 2008-09 in which the Rangers have had better territorial results at even-strength with Callahan on the ice than off and, despite his reputation as a defensive warrior, only in 2010-11 did he actually play difficult minutes.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i think you can throw out corsi numbers for the Rangers while torts was here.

our possession numbers were terrible because we played the collapse D. we pretty much conceded territorial advantage the second we got on the ice.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Found this in reading through Sharks boards (See below). They feel they dodged a bullet by not getting Cally
I don't want to knock Cally as he squeezes every drop out of talent he has, but this has been my impression as well. I am not a Corsi nut, but it is something to consider.
He is overvalued by fans and media because of what a likeable and hard working guy he is. Sam & Joe rarely get on him even when he fumbles the puck away at the blue line as he is prone to do from time to time.

Callahan is one of those players who will always be overrated and overvalued in NHL circles because he brings grit, leadership, character and other all-important intangibles; he (allegedly) "does the little things that help you win" and "makes an impact that isn't visible on the scoresheet." I'm not saying none of those things matter or even that they're inaccurate descriptors of the hard-nosed, 5'11" right winger's game. But when you're giving up something tangible (draft picks, prospects, roster players, cap space, dollars) I think you had better get something tangible in return. And when it comes to providing tangible value, I'm not sold Callahan comes anywhere near matching the hype.

Consider this: of the 19 skaters who have played at least 20 five-on-five minutes alongside Callahan this season, 16 have a higher Corsi% (meaning the Rangers have done better at controlling play) away from him than with him. That's despite the fact that New York head coach Alain Vigneault has started Callahan in the offensive zone on a whopping 60.7% of his non-neutral 5v5 shifts. This year is far from an anomaly, either; there hasn't been a single season since 2008-09 in which the Rangers have had better territorial results at even-strength with Callahan on the ice than off and, despite his reputation as a defensive warrior, only in 2010-11 did he actually play difficult minutes.

I think the majority was in favor of trading Callahan. It's giving up a first and second rounder (possibly two firsts) that is causing most of the angst.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
i think you can throw out corsi numbers for the Rangers while torts was here.

our possession numbers were terrible because we played the collapse D. we pretty much conceded territorial advantage the second we got on the ice.
That's why they were bad. But does that mean it doesn't matter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->