Proposal: NYR & SJS

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I'm shocked Rangers fans are saying no this.

How come?

Hertl is only signed for another 2 full seasons after this year... Then he's a UFA... If he continues to play well there's no telling what kind of money he will command on the open market at that time...

Rangers give up 3 young, cost-controlled players with good potential AND a 2nd round pick for a high quality player at a time when the Rangers' roster as a whole is not ready/prepared to compete and go deep in the playoffs...

It would not be a smart move for the NYR organization - the timing of it is certainly 'off'...

Chytil & Hajek I could tolerate parting ways with in a smart trade (this is not for the NYR)... But Georgiev has the possibility/potential to develop into a #1 goaltender - and the Rangers still have uncertainty surrounding Shesterkin (or however it's spelled these days)... They can't afford to trade away Georgiev and simply hope that Shesterkin's KHL success translates to the NHL and the NA-style game... Hopefully Henke considers retirement after this season.... Rangers really need to retain both Russian goaltenders in order to see what they have -and I think NYR management is fully aware of that..

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Are we getting Hertl from last year, or prior seasons? You know what, either way, count me in...

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Are we getting Hertl from last year, or prior seasons? You know what, either way, count me in...

Right. a 45-50 pt Hertl is a good player to have. the PPG Hertl from last year is a great player to have. But right now, the ratio of PPG seasons to 40-ish point seasons is about 1:4.

It would be easier to tell if he wasn't starting out this season with 0-pts in 5 games.

a 45-50 pt Hertl is likely the mid-point projection of what Chytl is to become. and the ask on top of that is a #4/5 projected D, a 1B Goalie, and a high 2nd round pick??? No thanks.

As a point of comparison, when we got Zibanejad, thats about what Hertls track record was, and that only cost us Brassard, and we *got* a 2nd back with him.

Reactions: The S5

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
The Rangers fans saying no to this are off their ****ing coconuts.

Chytil, Hajek, and Georgiev can all get in my car. I'll take them to SJ myself for Hertl.

I agree. We all love our prospects but come on, we are talking about some okay, long term "maybes" for a 25 year old legit top 6 (and most likely at least a low end #1 to high end #2) center locked up through his prime. I mean it's not like you are trading Jack Huges for a 35 yrs old player past his prime, on the decline and with a high cap hit he's no longer worth.

Reactions: Machinehead

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
His agent should be fired if that’s the case. Lesser players have recently signed bigger contracts.

You think Kreiders going to do the Rangers a favor and leave millions on the table... You’re wrong as usual.

your irrational bias despite factual basis to the contrary continues to undermine your credibility.

Panarin signed with us even tho we were not the very top $ offer.

And McAvoy, for one, did not have to take less now.
He's playing nice now in the hopes of payoff later, but he could have played hardball if he wanted.

we'll see

and if you parse things down to the fine details, I am usually more correct than incorrect. That needed to be said so your mischaracterization would not be allowed to misinform.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
How come?

Hertl is only signed for another 2 full seasons after this year... Then he's a UFA... If he continues to play well there's no telling what kind of money he will command on the open market at that time...

Rangers give up 3 young, cost-controlled players with good potential AND a 2nd round pick for a high quality player at a time when the Rangers' roster as a whole is not ready/prepared to compete and go deep in the playoffs...

It would not be a smart move for the NYR organization - the timing of it is certainly 'off'...

Chytil & Hajek I could tolerate parting ways with in a smart trade (this is not for the NYR)... But Georgiev has the possibility/potential to develop into a #1 goaltender - and the Rangers still have uncertainty surrounding Shesterkin (or however it's spelled these days)... They can't afford to trade away Georgiev and simply hope that Shesterkin's KHL success translates to the NHL and the NA-style game... Hopefully Henke considers retirement after this season.... Rangers really need to retain both Russian goaltenders in order to see what they have -and I think NYR management is fully aware of that..

so much da bold
hello wolfie

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
I agree. We all love our prospects but come on, we are talking about some okay, long term "maybes" for a 25 year old legit top 6 (and most likely at least a low end #1 to high end #2) center locked up through his prime. I mean it's not like you are trading Jack Huges for a 35 yrs old player past his prime, on the decline and with a high cap hit he's no longer worth.
We will not be competing for Lord Stanley for at least 3 years, I simply would rather keep our youth and mold them into maybe becoming a hertl.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Dream crusher.
KYDdFsT.gif

Reactions: TGWL

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We will not be competing for Lord Stanley for at least 3 years, I simply would rather keep our youth and mold them into maybe becoming a hertl.

I don't necessarily agree.
We have/will have G.
Reasonable expectation for enough D once it is in place and molded and excess is removed. Faster we jettison a couple of guys so others have their mins to make this happen, the better.

That leaves Fs.
Can go either way.
Best case scenario, we are rockin and rollin by next year.
Worst case, hmmn...

a line at the close of Chicago's classic I've Been Searchin So Long
goes:
"good things
in life
take a long time"
YEAH, YEAH

insane Terry Kath guitar riff.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
your irrational bias despite factual basis to the contrary continues to undermine your credibility.

Panarin signed with us even tho we were not the very top $ offer.

And McAvoy, for one, did not have to take less now.
He's playing nice now in the hopes of payoff later, but he could have played hardball if he wanted.

we'll see

and if you parse things down to the fine details, I am usually more correct than incorrect. That needed to be said so your mischaracterization would not be allowed to misinform.

McAvoy is 21 and he was a RFA. Panarin didn't leave MILLIONS on the table like you think Kreider is going to. Both of these examples are horrible.

As far as parsing you, bro, you're like 1/841. :laugh:

Reactions: themelkman

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
McAvoy is 21 and he was a RFA. Panarin didn't leave MILLIONS on the table like you think Kreider is going to. Both of these examples are horrible.

As far as parsing you, bro, you're like 1/841. :laugh:

McAvoy rfa or not did not have to make nice.
He had enuf juice to dictate terms. He just decided to play nice.

Panarin left estimated mil + or so.
I said Kreider comes down from 7+ to 6.2 to stay here.
That dif is very similar, possibly almost identical.

Just another 2 example of how you like to throw it, but wind up with the mud on you after.

And as for my batting average, take care.

As the Wisest of all once said:
Judge not lest ye be judged
For you shall be judged by the very standards you measure others

Reactions: LDF

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
In fairness to all players mentioned, the Rangers still do not know what they have in any of their prospects.

Trading a guy today in Chytil that can potentially be as good as Hertle is foolish, not to mention a potential top 4 defender.

The STILL REBUILDING RANGERS are not a Hertle away from competing for a cup.

That said, The Sharks would be foolish to give up this kid for that package. Their windows is open, ours, with and without Hertle is not.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
His other option was sitting out.

You’re comparing a 21 year old RFA to a 29 year old UFA. It’s a dumb comparison.

not dumb
if he held out, he'd get his $ now
but
he'd be burning bridges as to goodwill
not the best karma

my point remains
he made another choice instead of very top $

you stand corrected
still

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
not dumb
but
not the best karma

my point remains

you stand corrected
still

With what cap space...? Boston is right up against the cap. ADA held out for a bigger contract then reality hit him.

Boston Bruins - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It’s painful watching you struggle.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
not dumb
but
not the best karma

my point remains

you stand corrected
still

Kreider is not giving the Rangers close to a 10 million discount.

Forget about it

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Hertl's a good player, and to be fair, I haven't seen a ton of his games, so take this for what it's worth: I get concerned when a player has a breakout season that involves a massive jump in shooting percentage. Zibanejad had a breakout season last year, but his shooting % has been pretty consistent (+/- 2 or 3) for the last 6 years. Last year he got more minutes and produced with them. Hertl's shooting % last season was nearly double his career average at almost 20%. That screams "outlier" to me. I'm not giving up two high end prospects, a good goalie, and a high pick for that. Especially not when you consider that the Rangers defense is at least a year or two away from being ready to compete (Fox, ADA, Hajek, Miller, and/or a few others will need a bit of time).

Reactions: The S5

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Context is everything.

The Sharks have a shot this season, so they aren't giving up one of their top three forwards unless they gratuitously win in a given trade. Hertl is a possession monster on our hockey club now and so valuable to the roster on the whole; it's a non starter. And I say that as a big fan of the pieces going from NYR in that trade. But potential is just that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->