Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Ryan Spooner signs with the Rangers (2 years, $4M AAV)

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
for years I predicted he would get traded and become a 60 point guy for his next team and still completely suck. it reminds me when I used to predict shawn bates would move on from the bruins and score 20 goals for his new team and still suck

spooner seams like a good guy that tries hard without actually trying hard. he picks his spots. he can produce points but its never like anyone is scared of him. the other team never ever fears he will be the one that beats them. his teammates aren't going to look his direction when they are down and needing a leader.

but he scores points... and some fans value that. and I guess some teams do as well. im glad we aren't the team that is still paying him

Reactions: KnightofBoston

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
You would rather pay Backes 6 million a year at 34. LOL. As long as Spooner is on a 40+ point pace, is good on the PP, Rangers should be able to deal him for at least a 2nd and a good role player prospect at forward. Namestnikov and Spooner were signed to trade and acquire picks. Hopefully, those 2 players will yield a similar return to Grabner.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
was surprised he didn't produce on the bruins since he was pretty hyped up

How did he not produce?

11 points in 23 games.
18 points in 29 games.
49 points in 80 games.
39 points in 70 games.
25 points in 39 games

I guess if you were expecting elite numbers, or 50-6o'ish points he was a disappointment, but he didn't put up bad numbers considering he basically got under 15 minutes a game.

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
You would rather pay Backes 6 million a year at 34. LOL. As long as Spooner is on a 40+ point pace, is good on the PP, Rangers should be able to deal him for at least a 2nd and a good role player prospect at forward. Namestnikov and Spooner were signed to trade and acquire picks. Hopefully, those 2 players will yield a similar return to Grabner.

The difference in Spooner P/GP vs Backes P/GP equates to 10 more points for Spooner over an 82 games season. I'll gladly take a responsible two-way forward with a warrior mentality who gives 100% every shift and is a leader in the locker for $2 million more

Spooner is an exciting player to watch when he wants to play. I think his downfall is he's a streaky producer whos only real asset is his production. Spooner played 20 games for the Rangers and his start and finish were night and day...

First 10 Games - 2G / 11A / 1.30 P/GP
Last 10 Games - 2G / 1A / 0.30 P/GP

If he could every put a consistent season together he'd have some impressive numbers.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
4m for Spooner is huge overpayment and is why he was dealt.
4M is fair value for a 40~ point player in his mid-20's with a cap ceiling of 78~82M.

We're not in 2009 anymore. As the cap grows, so do the contracts.

Love how Spooner out produced Nash after the trade though. Funny **** right there.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The difference in Spooner P/GP vs Backes P/GP equates to 10 more points for Spooner over an 82 games season. I'll gladly take a responsible two-way forward with a warrior mentality who gives 100% every shift and is a leader in the locker for $2 million more

Spooner is an exciting player to watch when he wants to play. I think his downfall is he's a streaky producer whos only real asset is his production. Spooner played 20 games for the Rangers and his start and finish were night and day...

First 10 Games - 2G / 11A / 1.30 P/GP
Last 10 Games - 2G / 1A / 0.30 P/GP

If he could every put a consistent season together he'd have some impressive numbers.
He's had too many concussions and is signed for 2 more years after this season. I always liked Backes, but he's not the player we should be paying 6 million for.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
He's had too many concussions and is signed for 2 more years after this season. I always liked Backes, but he's not the player we should be paying 6 million for.

He's only showed missing 4 games due to concussions. Now how accurate that is vs what teams tell people is a different discussion.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Love how Spooner out produced Nash after the trade though. Funny **** right there.

As a Rangers fan, Nash was a far more productive player before the deadline than Spooner was for us after the deadline. There's more to the game than numbers. I didn't watch the Boston games, but if Nash wasn't an improvement, it's because he was hurt.

Reactions: Alicat

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
for years I predicted he would get traded and become a 60 point guy for his next team and still completely suck. it reminds me when I used to predict shawn bates would move on from the bruins and score 20 goals for his new team and still suck

spooner seams like a good guy that tries hard without actually trying hard. he picks his spots. he can produce points but its never like anyone is scared of him. the other team never ever fears he will be the one that beats them. his teammates aren't going to look his direction when they are down and needing a leader.

but he scores points... and some fans value that. and I guess some teams do as well. im glad we aren't the team that is still paying him

It's amazing how some players can put up 60 points and yet suck because of how they go about doing it while others can put up 35 points and be far more effective at getting their teams to come through

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Good place holder for the kids. Can be traded at any point they force their way on the line up. The Rangers sure are going to look different in a few years.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
As a Rangers fan, Nash was a far more productive player before the deadline than Spooner was for us after the deadline. There's more to the game than numbers. I didn't watch the Boston games, but if Nash wasn't an improvement, it's because he was hurt.

Nash was great until the concussion. Made a HUGE difference on that line. Was not so hot in the playoffs. And now obviously talking retirement.

Reactions: Alicat

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

DeBrusk and Krejci both saw their P/GP increase playing with Nash vs Spooner. He also bought a nice 200ft game to the 2nd line which they desperately needed. If he decides to come back this year, I'd gladly take him back.

Reactions: Alberta_OReilly_Fan

remer

Oct 18, 2005
4m for Spooner is huge overpayment and is why he was dealt.

I really liked Spooner as well but at 4 million a year, he was too rich for the Bruins. Good player but just seemed to have issues of becoming a true centerman. For him to be an effective winger he will need to beef up. To offen he found himself out matched on the boards.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

What exactly does one have to do with the other?:laugh:

Backes is going to give you a lot more in a lot of other areas. Spooner is going to give you more on the power play. Last year for the Bruins Backes scored at a .57 ppg clip while spooner scored at a .64 ppg clip and the difference is that Spooner was one of the main PP guys and Backes was one of the main PK guys, Spooner played on the 2nd line with David Krejci and Jake DeBrusk for most of his year, Backes played on the 3rd line with Riley Nash and Danton Heinen in a more defensive role. There is no doubt in my mind that Backes is going to give you more in most areas than Spooner is going to give you and he is also going to score at roughly the same rate. Backes also will be making $4 million per year after next season so he has a higher cap hit but they will be paying him exactly what Spooner is getting.

Backes and Spooner have different roles so it is hard to make a direct comparison.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Good for Spooner, liked him as a Bruin, knew he would light it up. As for Backes he does not kill penalties for the Bruins, they keep him off it because he is too slow. We did you guys a solid after stealing Middleton, Ratelle and Park from you. Took awhile but there you go

Reactions: NewYorkNick

klingsor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Manhattan
Visit site
Good for Spooner, liked him as a Bruin, knew he would light it up. As for Backes he does not kill penalties for the Bruins, they keep him off it because he is too slow. We did you guys a solid after stealing Middleton, Ratelle and Park from you. Took awhile but there you go

Thank you but I think you owe us a lot more.

Reactions: FanSince72

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
For spooner it’s all about drive

If he ever had the drive of some of the best players in the league he’d be a force, but at the end of the day he’s kind of a surfer dude that will give you pop every once in awhile but the rest of the time you’re wondering where he is

He could put up a lot of points this year though if he starts playing like he wants to win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad