Recalled/Assigned: NYR recall Boo Nieves

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
At best he turns out to be exactly what I think he could be....a 4th line center. But that is about as high as what I see of him.

I'm not sure he is a permanent fixture on a fourth line, but it's a plus if he can bring some elements similar to what Freddy Sjostrom brought back in the day.

With that said, I have some serious reservations about his ability to keep with the decision making of the NHL level. But we shall see.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nice to see the kid pick up some points. I've been steadfast for years that he can be more than just a speedy fourth line plug. Obviously one game like last night doesn't prove that in any way, but we did get to see some skill. I'm eager to see what he can produce given a regular role (although AV will probably scratch him for five straight games before going back to Cracknell).

Reactions: bernmeister

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nice to see the kid pick up some points. I've been steadfast for years that he can be more than just a speedy fourth line plug. Obviously one game like last night doesn't prove that in any way, but we did get to see some skill. I'm eager to see what he can produce given a regular role (although AV will probably scratch him for five straight games before going back to Cracknell).

I don't see that happening. Cracknell is already 32 and from what I've seen of him he's not strong on his skates. He has size but he's pretty easily knocked off balance. Nieves is at least as big but a much better skater who isn't easily knocked off balance. His size combined with skating reminds me more of Mika just in terms of his ability to get around the ice. Cracknell's more like Hugh Jessiman.

The other thing is he fit in well with Buch and Grabner. It is one game and I certainly wouldn't expect 3 points every night--OTOH even without the goals the line was very noticeable all night long. There was at least some immediate chemistry that wasn't there at all with Cracknell.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't see that happening. Cracknell is already 32 and from what I've seen of him he's not strong on his skates. He has size but he's pretty easily knocked off balance. Nieves is at least as big but a much better skater who isn't easily knocked off balance. His size combined with skating reminds me more of Mika just in terms of his ability to get around the ice. Cracknell's more like Hugh Jessiman.

The other thing is he fit in well with Buch and Grabner. It is one game and I certainly wouldn't expect 3 points every night--OTOH even without the goals the line was very noticeable all night long. There was at least some immediate chemistry that wasn't there at all with Cracknell.
Yeah, I wasn't actually suggesting that Cracknell is something that should happen, but rather is something that just seems like it WOULD happen based on some of the stuff we've seen the team do over the years. Nieves is a good fit for the team with his skating.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
yeah, he deserve his own player discussion after that historic game, and I don`t expect Boo Nieves to put up that pace, or a lot of points this season, but he bring something to this team and that is his speed. He can improve in other areas for sure, he still a young guy including face offs and a learning curve, but very positive about Nieves.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Still not really sold on him long term, for reasons I've beaten to death.

But he def. looked good against Arizona.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still believe Boo can be a 5-10 goal, 15-20 assist guy on a yearly basis. He has good speed and good hands, shows decent creativity on occasion, and has good size and strength. He lacks high-end hockey sense and has a fear of shooting the puck, but I really think he can be a good player on the third line, either on the wing or down the middle. I know the numbers he has put up in the past might not bear out my projections, but I've watched the kid extensively during his time in Michigan and have seen a good bit of him in Hartford. I really think he'll have a decent career in the NHL.

(For the record, my opinion has NOTHING to do with last night!)

Reactions: Ori

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I still believe Boo can be a 5-10 goal, 15-20 assist guy on a yearly basis. He has good speed and good hands, shows show decent creativity on occasion, and has good size and strength. He lacks high-end hockey sense and has a fear of shooting the puck, but I really think he can be a good player on the third line, either on the wing or down the middle. I know the numbers he has put up in the past might not bear out my projections, but I've watched the kid extensively during his time in Michigan and have seen a good bit of him in Hartford. I really think he'll have a decent career in the NHL.

(For the record, my opinion has NOTHING to do with last night!)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I see him more as a 5 goal, 15-20 point player IF he can put more pieces together.

Generally speaking, even the 10 goal, 20 assist, 30 point players put up some solid numbers at lower levels. Nieves has never really done that. Now there are cases where, for a variety of reasons, a guy looks better at the NHL level than he did at the AHL or college/junior level, but that is somewhat rare.

Is Boo that guy who pops in 10 goals and 30 points at the NHL level despite barely or not hitting those plateaus at any other level? Maybe. But I'm not sure I take the odds being offered.

I feel like he's one of those kids people notice because of the size/speed combination and when he has a good game, where those elements shine, he slides back up the expectation list. Then he spends 5 or 6 games spinning his wheels in circles and he slides back down. Then he has a game where he allows your imagination to get going and he slides back up. Then...

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Faster, younger, cheaper.

Fourth line spots are no longer for spare parts and enforcers.

You have to be able to skate, take a regular shift and contribute.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At least they can go to war with a 1C now.
He who laughs last....

I'm sorry but this move is a joke.
Boo just doesn't have what it takes IMO.
Is there any rational explanation as to why this center situation hasn't been resolved yet?

Zbad
Miller
Hayes
DD

Those are the players you have to work with so use them and turn a major weakness (down the middle) into a one that can at least compete.

What is the ****ing problem with AV already?
So, I was right about Boo, he is at least 4C at min possibly a complementary pivot on a higher line, not that at this point he has earned a higher C designation, but from a standpoint of chemistry/he could be a complementary fit for the correct 2 Ws on a higher line.

Where is open to honest discussion, but it is clear he DOES belong.

DD sucks, rare Gorton miscue, should not have been signed.

Unless MacKinnon gets here, JT to 1C, Boo to 4C
Hayes
Chytil/Andersson are options.
Lettieri much preferred to DD

Zucc is already an RW and is probably better than Zibanejad at their respective positions, certainly better than Zbad at RW. And we need Zbad at center badly.
That's true, but I still prefer what Zib offers on a middle line if we haven't traded him. I concur he is extremely solid add in locker room and off ice but is not indispensible.
Take 2 steps back to go 5 forward. Deal Zuc, McD

be afraid. be very afraid.
... unless it helps get AV canned.

Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->