Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Rangers sign Kevin Hayes (1 year, $5.125M)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I would trade more for a non rental Hayes than a rental one

Not if you didn’t have the cap space the following year. Makes it easier.

Also if it’s a one year deal I imagine it’s because he or NYR didn’t want a longer term deal.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
The money is “thrown around” because that’s what those players are worth relative to the cap. It’s really more perception than reality that teams are overspending on players.

Ya i get that.. I just hate seeing contracts getting bigger and bigger every year with salary cap just increasing slightly is all.. Gonna be chaos in a few years it seems.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Sounds like a team not being bothered going through arbitration with a player they don't particularly like.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
[QUOTE="tradenashnow, post: 148541089, member: 298883"

. More anti NY hatred. Never stops here.[/QUOTE]

Just ride the subway. The hatred has nothing to do with your delusion

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
The 1 year hurts his trade value. Stupid deal for the rangers.
Not at all. If Hayes signs a big deal and then comes into the season playing like he did in 2015-2016, he will not be movable. On a 1 year deal, his value takes a hit but is still movable. Obviously he isn't in the Rangers long term plans. I like Hayes but it is what it is.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
It's easy to see he just wants to get to FA. But it's a gamble. If he flips this season and gets single digit goals and low 20s points, his FA contract will suffer.

It's not likely to happen but its certainly possible.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Not at all. If Hayes signs a big deal and then comes into the season playing like he did in 2015-2016, he will not be movable. On a 1 year deal, his value takes a hit but is still movable. Obviously he isn't in the Rangers long term plans. I like Hayes but it is what it is.
1 year means you will get less for him and might lose him for nothing if he gets injured like CDH did

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
1 year means you will get less for him and might lose him for nothing if he gets injured like CDH did

Not necessarily.
The Rangers likely don't see Hayes(27) as an option for them in the future with Zib, Chytl, Andersson and Howden +. And they could lose him to expansion if they keep him.
They are a rebuilding team and can move him for another 1st + assets.

Every playoff team will be in on him at the deadline.

Reactions: NewYorkNick

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
5 million on a 1 year deal is not a lot of money for a guy that played a defensive role last year because of our dumb coach, scored 25 goals and was over 50% on faceoffs. More anti NY hatred. Never stops here.

Agree he is solid but for the sake of argument: If he is so good it’s a bad contact due to short term. If he is isn’t it’s a bad contact due to the relatively high AAV for a 1 year deal to UFA. (Usually players need to take a sizable discount not to give up UFA years.)

But it doesn’t really matter in the end for NY. I guess the rangers think they can get more value out of him at deadline as a rental than right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad