Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Rangers sign Kevin Hayes (1 year, $5.125M)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Higher then I thought it would be. Figured if he was getting that, it would at least have some term attached to it.

Reactions: Mork

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
I blame his brother for making me cringe while seeing Hayes and 5m in the same sentence.

Reactions: easton117

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
A 1 year deal is more valuable for him imo. If we trade him to a contender in a cap crunch (most contenders) and retain 50% that holds a lot of value. Sucks to see him about to go though, he really likes it here and he’ll make some team very happy, he’s a beast. Looks like we might potentially have 4 1st round picks. (If Tampa wins cup and Hayes+Zucc get traded and NYR’s own.) would’ve rather locked him up long term though but it makes sense considering we have Zib/Chytil/Lias/Howden down the middle

Reactions: haveandare

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Wow, they gave him a lot of money to essentially seal his walk to unrestricted free agency.

It would pretty much benefit them to try and trade him right away. With him likely being a lame duck you'd think the coaching staff will work with the youth more over a guy likely on the way out. That coaching staff will not be in "win now" mode and will not be pressed to do Hayes any favor and play him in advantageous situations to help him maximize his next contract on the open market. Not saying they wont play him, but they are going to cut into his ice time and deployment to start giving the youth more opportunities.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
It’s a one year deal. Doesn’t hurt the Rags. Rags are going young. Best case scenario Hayes has a decent/good first half and the Rags can flip him at the deadline.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
5 million on a 1 year deal is not a lot of money for a guy that played a defensive role last year because of our dumb coach, scored 25 goals and was over 50% on faceoffs. More anti NY hatred. Never stops here.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Wonder if they start working on a trade for him. Trade him now while his value is high and the team that acquired him can start working on a contract extension. Seems like he might be a guy who’d like to test free agency though.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I could see the Avs looking to acquire him either through trade or FA next year. They were linked to him when he was a college UFA and the Avs have had a pretty consistent habit of acquiring players they've been linked to in the past (even if they are past their prime at that point).

Reactions: Pure

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
He was better last year, especially defensively and with less ridiculously stupid plays. At this rate and with us becoming a weak team, I might even be sad to see him go. I could take or leave him at the moment, but the roster probably needs him.
Reckons he's Datsyuk, is more like a poor man's Radek Bonk.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
It’s a one year deal. Doesn’t hurt the Rags. Rags are going young. Best case scenario Hayes has a decent/good first half and the Rags can flip him at the deadline.
Hayes gets paid and the Rangers ultimately increase his worth by paying him more and then retaining at the deadline

Reactions: Flair Hay

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
He gets 1 year now or probably 1 year in arbitration. Writing on wall is he likely wants out
He actually doesn’t want out. (From what it looks like) he’s best friends with Skjei and Vesey
He wants a multi year deal at a fair price imo but Rangers don’t want to commit to him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad