Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #8 TIE-BREAKER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
With only a couple votes separating three guys, let's have a tie-breaker round. Halverson, Graves and Shesterkin (listed in alphabetical order) are the finalists.

Brandon Halverson
Goalie -- shoots R
Born Mar 29 1996 -- Traverse City, MI
Height 6.04 -- Weight 179

2014-15 Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds OHL 29GP 2.84 21-3-2 0.910

Ryan Graves
Defense -- shoots L
Born May 21 1995 -- Yarmouth, NS
Height 6.04 -- Weight 225

2014-15 Quebec Remparts QMJHL 28 8-11-19 31PIM

Igor Shesterkin
Goalie
Born Dec 30 1995 -- Moscow, Russia
Height 6.01 -- Weight 187

SKA St. Petersburg KHL 4GP 2-0-2 2.45 .908
SKA-Kareliya VHL 8GP 1.72 .943
SKA-1946 MHL 3FP 2.26 .934

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am changing my vote from the regular round when I voted for Graves and this time will go with Shesterkin. Not only was he dominant in the WJC, he's been dominant in Russia too. His VHL numbers are insane and the VHL is supposed to be better than the ECHL. The VHL is certain head and shoulders above the Canadian Juniors. He also put up very respectable numbers (didn't lose a game in regulation yet) in the KHL, which is clearly above the AHL.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I think Halvorsen and Shesterkin are about equal. As far as the WJC Halvorsen got stuck behind Demko who was going to get the starter's job with the USA no matter how well Halvorsen or Nedeljkovic played in the prelims leading up to the tournament. Demko was going to have to fall completely apart for another USA goalie to take his starter spot in that tournament. That is not Halvorsen's fault. As far as comparing leagues--Halvorsen is pretty much playing in as good a league as he can (as Shesterkin is) and I suspect the OHL is going to continue to turn out more NHL players than the VHL does. Maybe the VHL is better but again the OHL is going to turn out more NHL players--of that I have little doubt.

Even so--Shesterkin, Halvorsen and even Skapski--their rankings could pretty much be interchangeable. They all have a lot of promise. I wouldn't be surprised if two or even all three of them become NHL goaltenders.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Halverson. Again, I'm going to take the North American prospect with equal upside and talent over the Russian one 10 times out of 10.

However, we are blessed to have both him and Shesty for sure.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I voted Shesterkin but I won't pretend to know anything extensive about Halverson.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Overstatement.

LOL. I meant to write that the VHL is supposed to be better than the ECHL, which is a superior league to the Canadian Juniors. Shesterkin dominating the VHL is a lot more impressive than a kid of the same age dominating the Canadian Juniors.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
As far as comparing leagues--Halvorsen is pretty much playing in as good a league as he can (as Shesterkin is) and I suspect the OHL is going to continue to turn out more NHL players than the VHL does. Maybe the VHL is better but again the OHL is going to turn out more NHL players--of that I have little doubt.

That a 17 year old OHLer may be good in 7-10 years is wonderful, but he's still inferior to a 27-year-old VHLer right now. It's similar to the ECHL/Juniors discussion we had earlier: every time a player moves from the juniors to the ECHL, regardless of position, his numbers drop drastically (St. Croix, Nicholls, Noreau, Chris Chappell, etc). And my strong guess is that the VHL is better than the ECHL because the KHL is significantly superior to the AHL right now, the KHL has fewer teams than the AHL, and the VHL has fewer teams than the ECHL, so my guess would be that the VHL is at least as much above the ECHL as the KHL is above the AHL.

Now, when it comes to comparing the VHL, a second level in Russia where adults play, to a Canadian league for teenagers, there's absolutely no doubt that the VHL is a superior league right now. Will more 17 year olds in the Juniors make the NHL in a decade? Yes, but right now, the VHLers present better competition to Shesterkin than the OHLers would've. His numbers in the VHL are more impressing than similar numbers in the OHL/WHL/QMJHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad