Prospect Info: NYR Prospect Poll: #17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Boo Nieves easily won round 16. Defenseman Tyler Nanne is added to the poll.

Please write who you want added to the poll, and give a reason for it. This makes the discussion here more lively.

THE RULES

WHO IS A PROSPECT: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/whatmakesaprospect

HOW TO RANK PROSPECTS: Based on their value in a hypothetical trade or waiver draft. This takes into consideration a prospect's ceiling, how close he's to making it, his health, work ethic, the whole deal. Imagine there was a prospect waiver draft and you could keep only one prospect. That guy is our #1 prospect. Then imagine we had one more waiver protection. That guy is our #2 prospect.

TOP PROSPECTS

1. LW/RW Anthony Duclair
2. C Kevin Hayes
3. LW/RW Pavel Buchnevich
4. D Brady Skjei
5. RW Jesper Fast

SECOND TIER

6. C Oscar Lindberg
7. D Dylan McIlrath
8. G Igor Shesterkin
9. D Ryan Graves
10. G Brandon Halverson
11. C Adam Tambellini
12. G Mackenzie Skapski
13. D Conor Allen
14. RW Ryan Haggerty
15. LW Marek Hrivik
16. C Cristoval Nieves

Cristoval Nieves
Center
Born Jan 23 1994 -- Baldwinsville, NY
Height 6.03 -- Weight 200

2014-15 U. of Michigan Big-10 21GP 4 13 17 6PIM

11227009-large.jpg

PROSPECTS ELIGIBLE TO BE ADDED

Andersson, Calle
Bodie, Matt
Bourque, Ryan
Donnay, Troy
Hughes, Tommy
Iverson, Keegan
Kantor, Michael
Kristo, Dany
McCarthy, Chris
Missiaen, Jason
Nicholls, Josh
Noreau, Samuel
St. Croix, Michael

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Don't really like the options here. I wish I could've voted for Hughes. Went with Mantha because he's a recent 4th rounder.

Add Hughes.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Messier was always listed at 6-1 and Nieves is listed at 6-3, but on that picture it seems like the gap is 3-4 inches. Nieves is a tall kid, didn't just lie and exaggerate his height.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Would be good if people posted who they feel deserves to be added.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Hard for me to fathom how most of the players we're voting for now are ahead of Hughes.

Just looking at Nanne--a very undersized high schooler last year--so-so statistically in the USHL this year--we're not sure whether he's going to be a forward or a defenseman but pretty sure if he does enter Ohio St. U next year (as he's committed)--a good program (not a great one) that he's going to need 4 full years before we decide whether to sign him or not. It's going to take him at least 6 years from now to make the NHL at best.

Walcott (again) I'm not sure he gets an NHL contract for next year. I know he's a very good QMJHL defenseman and a leader of his team--but again very undersized. Do we need two scrawny guys like Walcott and Bodie in Hartford next year? Bodie will need another contract this summer too. Do we sign them both? one or the other? or neither?

Mantha--big guy. As the season has gone along he's gotten more acclimated in Niagara-OHL. Really rocky start though. I have no idea if this guy is going to be a player or not.

Hughes played for the London Knights in the OHL. His team went to the Memorial Cup finals twice while he was there. He has great size. His game is unspectacular but very defensive and steady. He's not ready yet but he's not nearly the long shot as the three up above who may never sniff an NHL contract. There's at least some history of success with this guy and unlike the others he does have a contract and he's been pretty decent at the AHL level.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Eco's Bones is right. Hughes is a far superior player than the guys we are voting for, but defensive defensemen get no love.

Undersized defensemen have to be incredibly smart and talented, which at lower levels normally translates into a ton of points. Walcott put up a nice stat line, but as a small Overager, he had to be dominant right now at this level and he's merely good. Being 14th in the QMJHL in scoring among defensemen when you are an offensive player who's among the very, very oldest guys in the league is not special to me.

Nanne: even people around him reported being shocked that he was drafted. Another undersized defenseman. How many are only 5'10 who play defense in the NHL? And the ones who do are usually capable of putting up points due to their skill. Not so much here. Playing in the third-rate (below college and below the juniors) USHL, he still can't put up points. This despite the fact that he's supposed to be some kind of a PP QB.

Bodie isn't up there, but he's crap. If he were a big two-way blue liner, he'd have enough offense, but as an offensive defenseman who is weak, he's useless because his offense is not enough to make up for the rest of his shortcomings, not by a long shot.

How many undersized defensemen who can't even score does Hartford (much less the Rangers) need?

Fogarty is 22 years old, yet still mired as a very average college player. Yes, he's got size, but he had size when he got drafted, yet still slipped to the third round because he lacked skill. He still lacks skill. I'm not even talking about high-end skill needed to be a top-6 guy, I just don't see him being able to turn himself into anything more than an AHL scrub.

Zamorsky seems to be struggling in the Finnish league according to reports.

Nej is another overager who's not dominant.

Mantha is meh also, though he has the advantage of size and youth compared to others.

Hughes is definitely better than this bunch.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I am no longer going to do tie-breakers since it's too late in the game. We'll run the poll for the full 48 hours if there's no clear winner, and whoever wins even by a single vote after the 48 hours is the kid placed on the list. If it's a perfect tie, then no choice but to do a tie-breaker.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Messier was always listed at 6-1 and Nieves is listed at 6-3, but on that picture it seems like the gap is 3-4 inches. Nieves is a tall kid, didn't just lie and exaggerate his height.
Noticed that too. No BS with his height listing. Walcott here. Add Hughes.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fogarty. His game isn't flashy, but it's effective. I think he'll have a good career on the bottom six. He's a big, strong, shut-down center that skates well and can take a face-off. His offense is nothing special but he has decent hands, so he shouldn't be a total black hole. He'll at least be able to cycle the puck and maintain possession.

At this point you have to add Kristo. I don't like him as a prospect but I feel that he's more likely to have an NHL career (to any degree) than any of the other guys left to be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad