Confirmed Trade: [NYR/NJD] Michael Grabner for 2018 2nd round pick and Yegor Rykov

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Actually, you're the one who is stretching. And moving the goal posts.

You seem to want to judge the trade on results. If the Devils would have won the Cup, it would have been a success. They didn't and in your mind it's not.

But you're judging the Rangers return on what they got, not what those two pieces may or may not be.

Either your reading comprehension is non existent because I already addressed everything you said or you don’t know what an asset and asset management is. Either way you’re obviously not worth arguing with.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
True, and the Devils lost sleeves off their vest. Rykov and the 2nd rounder were two very expendable pieces; it was worth the gamble.

You're the only one passionately stating the Devils got boned. If that were the case, wouldn't there be more Devils fans bugging out with you?

We're all kind of just shrugging.

Who said I was passionate and when did I ever say the Devils were boned lol? You guys have gone from mental gymnastics to just making shit up now.

Never once said the Devils got boned, that the Devils are boned, that they weren’t expendable pieces, or whether or not the gamble was worth it at the time. You guys are just inferring what you want to infer.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Fans of NYR it any other team aren’t seeing how important it was for NJ to make the playoffs this season. I don’t think the team had any agenda beyond that. The end to this season was all about being all in to send a message to Hall and other vets that have been asked to buy in. By definition on hf any non playoff team that gets a pick or a prospect for a rental wins the trade. In the real world it’s the opposite. Tell me the NYR don’t trade a second and a similar prospect to make the playoffs if they missed it for a number of prior seasons. So yes by hf standards the NYR won the trade congratulations! In the real world they both won because they both got what they wanted. Does anyone actually think NJ got Grabner for a cup run? Shero knows full well the team has a number of holes. When Hall re-signs with NJ watch Shero and Hall discuss how the competitive improvements to the team made him want to stay.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Way too much is being made about this trade. It was worth the risk for the Devils. It made sense for the Rangers to maximize Grabner's value and get some assets for him.

People seem the have the need for there to be a winner and loser in every trade. It really doesn't have to be that way.

This is HFBoards. Someone got fleeced and someone got an absolute steal. There is literally no inbetween.

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
This guy is ass.

However, i supported it at the time and NJ made the post season, so I'm not too upset about this

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Just going on scouting reports, Rykov seems like he has a chance to be a top 4 d man. That alone makes this a fleecing if that comes to be. The second rounder we will see. About 11% of second rounders turn out to be good pro's. Thus why I think they will use that second rounder with a later first rounder and a player like Spooner or Namestnikov to move up somewhere to 14-18.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I liked the deal from New Jersey’s persepctive.

No one was expecting them to make the playoffs, and when they were chasing a playoff spot come the trade deadline, Shero rewarded his team.

I think it’s important for GMs to be able to read and manage the morale of their team, and acquiring help as they were chasing a playoff spot is a huge way to recognize their success and maintain high morale.

Making the playoffs, even if you’re not expecting to win the Cup, builds that hunger and a winning culture.

As a NYI fan, they didn’t even sniff the playoffs for so many years under Tavares that losing just became normal. Ryan O’Reilly spoke about a similar mindset in his exit meeting about this past season with Buffalo. You don’t want your prized #1 pick (Hischier) to fall into that same void. It’s a dangerous place to be and one that is almost impossible to get out of.

Toronto did the same thing last year with bringing in Boyle and such. Was Toronto really expecting to win a Cup? Don’t think so, but you’ve got all these young pieces (Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc.), and you want them to get a taste of what it’s
like to play for a Stanley Cup. The mentality becomes instilled in players’ mindsets from very early on in the NHL.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I liked the deal from New Jersey’s persepctive.

No one was expecting them to make the playoffs, and when they were chasing a playoff spot come the trade deadline, Shero rewarded his team.

I think it’s important for GMs to be able to read and manage the morale of their team, and acquiring help as they were chasing a playoff spot is a huge way to recognize their success and maintain high morale.

I still get a kick out of this. If that's why GMs are pulling the deal on trades then that is laughable. Getting a 3rd liner in a trade at the deadline is not magically going to bring up the morale of the team. The morale was already high where it was.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I still get a kick out of this. If that's why GMs are pulling the deal on trades then that is laughable. Getting a 3rd liner in a trade at the deadline is not magically going to bring up the morale of the team. The morale was already high where it was.

I think you’re missing the point. It’s not about what type of player you are acquiring. It doesn’t have to be a star, it just has to be help, an extra boost if you will.

These guys appreciated and notice these extra boosts their GMs give them. Everyone wants to win, and will gladly accept someone who can fill a role on their club.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->