NYR must be pretty nervous about Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Broadway Crosby said:
I was kind of meant before last night, but IMO, he has not played spectacular all season. He has been good, not great.

My comment about the defense always sucking was more of a Sather Hater comment. If I had the chance, I would kill the b@st@rd.

And we also need a good system, not just good players. I don't have confidence that Sather will be able to hire a man that will be able to employ a good defensive system.

I would love Johnson, he is #2 on my list. He'll be a clone of Brian Leetch, but a little better defensively.
Little early for that...

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
jtuzzi21 said:
Little early for that...
Hey, someone's gotta make a bold prediction, right?

Evilo said:
Better than Brian Leetch, one of the best Dmen ever?
Ouch!
Well, I'm projecting Johnson to be one of the best ever. What's wrong with that? :dunno:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nothing wrong.
After all, the NY Rangers are projected to be the best team ever with Montoya being the best goalie the NHL has ever known. On D, you'll find the best D corps any team ever put together with Johnson, Tyutin and co who will make the Coffeys, Bourques, Chelioses and Orrs look like pansies. Finally the offensive group will make everyone forget about the 80s Oilers with future HOFers like Jamie Lundmark and Hugh Jessiman!
Really nothing wrong with that.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Broadway Crosby said:
Hey, someone's gotta make a bold prediction, right?

Well, I'm projecting Johnson to be one of the best ever. What's wrong with that? :dunno:
Wait a few years, is all I'm saying. How many times have you even seen Johnson play?

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
jtuzzi21 said:
Wait a few years, is all I'm saying. How many times have you even seen Johnson play?
Five. I think that he will be great, so I made the prediction.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Evilo said:
Nothing wrong.
After all, the NY Rangers are projected to be the best team ever with Montoya being the best goalie the NHL has ever known. On D, you'll find the best D corps any team ever put together with Johnson, Tyutin and co who will make the Coffeys, Bourques, Chelioses and Orrs look like pansies. Finally the offensive group will make everyone forget about the 80s Oilers with future HOFers like Jamie Lundmark and Hugh Jessiman!
Really nothing wrong with that.
I actually don't like Montoya all that much. If you read my posts around draft time, you would've seen I hated the pick. And we don't have Johnson yet, but I think that Tyutin could be a #1 D-Man. I know you were being sarcastic, but I made one statement about one player, and you make it seem like I am looking through rose-colored glasses.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Yes I do. The guy is not even going to be drafted number one, and yet you project him to be one of the best ever.
Seems a bit of a stretch to me.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Evilo said:
Yes I do. The guy is not even going to be drafted number one, and yet you project him to be one of the best ever.
Seems a bit of a stretch to me.
So? Adam Oates went undrafted and Brett Hull was drafted in the 6th round. Brian Leetch was drafted 9th overall. Alot of great players weren't drafted #1 overall. Saying that Johnson won't be one of the best ever because he won't be drafted #1 overall is pretty ignorant, IMO.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I didn't say so. But he's "projected to be lower than 1st". So at this moment, no logical projection should make him one of the best ever.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Evilo said:
I didn't say so. But he's "projected to be lower than 1st". So at this moment, no logical projection should make him one of the best ever.
Was it logical that Gretzky would be the best ever? No. Logic isn't needed in hockey. And using your theory, wouldn't it be stupid to project Crosby as one of the best ever, as many have done?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Well I do think it's stupid to project Crosby as one of the best ever, but he sure looks more fitted to be a HOFer than Johnson right now.
At least HE has dominated in every age category.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Evilo said:
Well I do think it's stupid to project Crosby as one of the best ever, but he sure looks more fitted to be a HOFer than Johnson right now.
At least HE has dominated in every age category.
A scouts job is to project who will be great and who won't. As a fan, it's fun to do the projections too. I think Johnson will be one of the best ever, but that's just my opinion.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Saying Johnson will be one of the best ever is setting yourself up for dissapointment. I do think he will be a great defenseman in the NHL, but noone will know just how good for at least a few years.

Thats like all the 'Crosby is the next Gretzkey talk.' Crosby will be Joe Sakic, and people will still be calling him a dissapointment who never lived up to his Gretzkey potential to be the greatest player ever.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Barnaby said:
Saying Johnson will be one of the best ever is setting yourself up for dissapointment. I do think he will be a great defenseman in the NHL, but noone will know just how good for at least a few years.

Thats like all the 'Crosby is the next Gretzkey talk.' Crosby will be Joe Sakic, and people will still be calling him a dissapointment who never lived up to his Gretzkey potential to be the greatest player ever.
I know. But that's my opinion of him.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Broadway Crosby said:
I would love Johnson, he is #2 on my list. He'll be a clone of Brian Leetch, but a little better defensively.

Yea, and i also like the moron who said Phaneuf will be like Scott Stevens except better offensively.... :shakehead

Why dont we just put Johnson and Phaneuf inthe HOF already... :mad:

These guys would be lucky just to be half of Leetch or Stevens.....not that they are no good...we are talking about HOF, once in a lifetime dmen here.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Dallas Flames Fan said:
Yea, and i also like the moron who said Phaneuf will be like Scott Stevens except better offensively.... :shakehead

Why dont we just put Johnson and Phaneuf inthe HOF already... :mad:

These guys would be lucky just to be half of Leetch or Stevens.....not that they are no good...we are talking about HOF, once in a lifetime dmen here.
At least I have the b@lls to make any projection for a player. Who's career do you think Johnson's will be comparable to? I think he'll be a HOF'er, but it's my opinion, and I could easily look like a dumb@$$ in five years.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Too many people throw around comparisons. Every top prospect has to be the next Lemieux, Wayne G, Leetch, or Stevens. Comparing styles is one thing, but man. Johnson will probably be a stud, but offensively I doubt he is ever Leetche's equal. He'll probably be a great 2-way d-man for years to come, but can't he just be a top young player? The best ever? Noone can predict that now. It's not making a bold prediction, it's making a foolish one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad