NYR must be pretty nervous about Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
what can Montoya and Schneider do? The game I saw Schneider play the defense was just :cry: I guess I can say the same thing about Montoya.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
It hasn't been just one tournament with Montoya. He has played spotty all year long. He is inconsistent and I would be a little nervous if I were in the Rangers front office.

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
Enoch said:
Russia did last year for starters.

When you look at team USA's play of late, you can find fault with so many things. Bad point play on the PP, poor defensive zone coverage by the forwards, inability to clear the net on almost every scoring chance, weak goals consistently let in.........
I would say another problem was simply team building. The USA staff did not put together a team where each player fills a role and fits a need. Instead they grabbed all players that could score. The defensemen, for the most part, are all offensive minded and jump into plays. The forwards are even worse.

On the other hand, the Canadian team has players to fill every role. Whether its scoring, checking, getting infront of the net, blocking shots or just using their body, the Canadian team has players that fit each role.

Being an American I can say I am jealous as hell at how you guys built your team. It's a shame that the US left off players like Johnson, Lewis and Thelen.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Russian_fanatic said:
what can Montoya and Schneider do? The game I saw Schneider play the defense was just :cry: I guess I can say the same thing about Montoya.

On the same token, each goal Schneider let in were just pathetically bad.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
Russian_fanatic said:
Did I say that they Schneider is god? I'm saying the defense could've played better.

Certainly they could have played better, but he only faced 8 shots on goal through a little over a period of hockey. It's not like he was being bombarded from every angle. Now a few scoring chances could have and should have been avoided. But, while Montoya can blame a few goals on pathetic D play, I'm not sure Schneider has any leg to stand on. All three of his goals allowed could be argued as weak and did he even make one good save the entire game?

I'll buy Montoya backers blaming the defense for his bad numbers but I won't buy the same argument from Schneider fans.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Russian_fanatic said:
Did I say that they Schneider is god? I'm saying the defense could've played better.

No you didn't. You asked a rhetorical question though implying that Montoya and Schenider had no chance to stop the goals against them. Montoya has let in some weak ones, for sure, but I do not think Schenider had any excuse to let in the goals he did. All three were bad. The defensive zone coverage, likewise, was bad. However, 3 goals on 8 shots and all three of the goals being weak, routine saves has nothing to do with the defensive zone coverage. I'm not bashing Schenieder......I know your a Canuck fan - just his performance in that game ;).

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
SmokeyClause said:
I'll call your bad coaching. There hasn't been one aspect of the coaching that I've been enamored with. I don't like the line combos, I don't like the defensive pairings. People have even questioned the handling of a goaltenders. The team just isn't playing with focused intensity. The times they play defense first and within themselves, they appear tentative and slow to react. The times they play with passion and intensity, they forget their assignments and responsibilities.

One of the better comparisons I saw on coaching was someone saying how the U.S. team reflects Sandelin's Minnesota-Duluth team this year. Sandelin coached the Bulldogs to the NCAA Frozen Four last year, while the U.S. ran the tables at the WJC... they both returned good teams on paper, but have performed poorly and way underachieved. Minn-Duluth started out 5-0-1, but are now 8-9-3 and have only won three of the their last 14 games. Looks like Sandelin's lack of success has spead this year to Team USA.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
SmokeyClause said:
I'll call your bad coaching. There hasn't been one aspect of the coaching that I've been enamored with. I don't like the line combos, I don't like the defensive pairings. People have even questioned the handling of a goaltenders. The team just isn't playing with focused intensity. The times they play defense first and within themselves, they appear tentative and slow to react. The times they play with passion and intensity, they forget their assignments and responsibilities.
IMO thats the #1 problem with this team. Its as simple as this team having no structure and being picked apart from teams that do. Its not one or two players playing poorly its everyone and I think that falls directly on the coaching.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
SmokeyClause said:
I agree that they should never be left a lone in front of the net. And while that has happened, how many times have Montoya and Co. let in a bad goal? Let's see, the Ovechkin goal and the Rylov goal in the Russian game are goals that should have been stopped. I'm trying to recall the Pestunov goal, so I can't say for that one. There have also been countless 20-25 shots that find there way by him. Not every goal is his fault. In the Belarus game, there were times the defense hung both out to dry. But I stand by my comment that more of the goals have been of the weak variety as opposed to the poor D play kind.
I thought that the reason the Rangers drafted Montoya was so he would be able to stand on his head and dominate the game while his defense played like cones. He's not going to get a good defense in NY. And he has let in alot of bad goals. He has let in alot of bad goals, just not one or two. The reason why the Rangers drafted Montoya was to not have to worry about bad goals and have a goalie that will be able to make spectacular saves when the defense is lost. Montoya has not done that this far, and I am a bit concerned, especially considering that he is supposed to be at his best in the most important games, such as the playoffs and the WJC.

Vlad The Impaler said:
I disagree. Many of those shots were of the routine variety. They should have been stopped by any goalie and the defense couldn't do much.

It's all good that in this thread, Montoya-lovers are trying to blame the defense and Suter-lovers are trying to blame goaltending but the reality is, both the defense and goaltending have been beyond awful.

Fleury was not that bad, no way.
I'm a Ranger fan and a Montoya-Lover, but I'm not making any excuses for him, most of the goals have been his fault.

The Great One said:
As for Montoya.Montoya has a big weakness and it's confidence.The thing is that When his moral/confidence is down , He's brutal and lost.He's losing the desire to play.He should work on that.When this guy is playing with confidence then it's another story.It seems that He doens't even have the desire to play.
I read that Montoya never gets down on himself and that he always has confidence and that he is a bit cocky. He is supposively one of the most competitive people out there, but he sure hasn't shown it in this tournament.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Vlad The Impaler said:
I still don't like his selection that high but that has nothing to do with his performance at the WJC this year. As you probably know, I just think it is a mistake to draft goalies that high. It's not that bad this year because it was not such a deep year. But I wouldn't have done it.

I completely agree witrh you here and still question the pick. But, whatever. They had a good draft that year so I'm not going to complain.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
#66 said:
IMO thats the #1 problem with this team. Its as simple as this team having no structure and being picked apart from teams that do. Its not one or two players playing poorly its everyone and I think that falls directly on the coaching.

Sandelin is an awful coach for this team, and it's showing now. Man, is it showing.

eyeofthetiger

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
I'm shocked at Montoya's performance. It's hard to believe that he's the same player who stood on his head for team USA last year and stole the tournament from the Canadians. Is this an indication of the quality of the play he's been exposed to this year in the NCAA?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I thought that the reason the Rangers drafted Montoya was so he would be able to stand on his head and dominate the game while his defense played like cones. He's not going to get a good defense in NY. And he has let in alot of bad goals. He has let in alot of bad goals, just not one or two. The reason why the Rangers drafted Montoya was to not have to worry about bad goals and have a goalie that will be able to make spectacular saves when the defense is lost. Montoya has not done that this far, and I am a bit concerned, especially considering that he is supposed to be at his best in the most important games, such as the playoffs and the WJC.

why do people say "he's not going to have good defense in new york" how the hell do you know? montoya isn't gonna be in the NHL next year, probably not the year after either...it's gonna be years before he plays for the rangers...people need to realize these guys are PROSPECTS and aren't all about to jump into the NHL. in 2 years, the rangers D could be much improved...they could have a decent defense and system to help out their goalies. to just say in general "oh the rangers D will suck" is being extremely extremely shortsighted. we don't know what it will be like

i also don't think montoya was ever billed as a goalie who would stand on his head and bail his team out game in and game out and be absolutely amazing...i dunno, your description is of a franchise #1 goalie winning multiple vezina trophy's and being the best goaltender in the league...montoya is supposed to be good, be a very solid goaltender who plays good in big games...but i don't think he's ever billed as the wayne gretzky of goaltenders like you described :dunno:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
eyeofthetiger said:
I'm shocked at Montoya's performance. It's hard to believe that he's the same player who stood on his head for team USA last year and stole the tournament from the Canadians. Is this an indication of the quality of the play he's been exposed to this year in the NCAA?

Well, he stood on his head tonight and played amazing. He's had so many freaking odd man rushes in Michigan. The team defense is just awful.

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
Reveille! said:
He's had so many freaking odd man rushes in Michigan. The team defense is just awful.
Yeah and about 50 other Ncaa teams wish they had Michigans defense. He's only facing an average of 24 shots a night at Michigan so the D can't be all that bad.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
NCAA Hockey Fan said:
Yeah and about 50 other Ncaa teams wish they had Michigans defense. He's only facing an average of 24 shots a night at Michigan so the D can't be all that bad.

And the majority are odd man rushes left and right. I've actually caught a number of Michigan's games with Fox Sports and that's definately the majority of what he sees.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Reveille! said:
Bandwagon <3333333333333333333333333333333333333 x infinity.

JOIN IT NOW. JOIN IT EARLY.

I'm in!!

Is it too early to try and figure out if the Rangers will have a shot at him in the 06' draft?

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
Reveille! said:
Well, he stood on his head tonight and played amazing. He's had so many freaking odd man rushes in Michigan. The team defense is just awful.

Well, I wouldn't say he stood on his head or played amazing - he wasn't tested all that much. But, he sure did look a lot more solid, more poised and confident.

The US D was much better than the previous two games and Montoya rose to the occaision.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Levitate said:
why do people say "he's not going to have good defense in new york" how the hell do you know? montoya isn't gonna be in the NHL next year, probably not the year after either...it's gonna be years before he plays for the rangers...people need to realize these guys are PROSPECTS and aren't all about to jump into the NHL. in 2 years, the rangers D could be much improved...they could have a decent defense and system to help out their goalies. to just say in general "oh the rangers D will suck" is being extremely extremely shortsighted. we don't know what it will be like

i also don't think montoya was ever billed as a goalie who would stand on his head and bail his team out game in and game out and be absolutely amazing...i dunno, your description is of a franchise #1 goalie winning multiple vezina trophy's and being the best goaltender in the league...montoya is supposed to be good, be a very solid goaltender who plays good in big games...but i don't think he's ever billed as the wayne gretzky of goaltenders like you described :dunno:
As long as Sather is GM, the Rangers defense will suck.

And I didn't say that he needs to win 10 Vezinas to be a good pick. He was horrible before last night. And the 6th pick in the draft should be able to have his moments, while making the easy saves.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Broadway Crosby said:
As long as Sather is GM, the Rangers defense will suck.

And I didn't say that he needs to win 10 Vezinas to be a good pick. He was horrible before last night. And the 6th pick in the draft should be able to have his moments, while making the easy saves.

Horrible before last night - that refers to what? the 3-4 games we got a chance to see. What about the rest of his UM and WJC career. He had a bad stretch - no question, but so far he's played his best in the biggest game that the US had. Let's see how he does tonight.

How do you know the Rangers D will always suck because of Sather? That's sort of a foolish statement right there. We have two very good 2nd pairing prospects in Tjutin and Kondratiev. If we get lucky we could definately land a great d-man like Jack Johnson this year. We then have nice depth after that to easily fill up the 3rd pairing and probably land another nice 2nd pairing player. In 3-4 years we might have a very solid D that is quickly becoming one of the best in the NHL.

Very possible Johnson or Kindl
Tjutin-Kondratiev
Baranka/Taylor/Lampman/Pock/Liffiton/Potter

Not such a bad group at this stage of the rebuild. After two more lousy years we will no doubt stock up on more d-men so to just say it will suck because Sather is GM is kind of short sighted.

Note: That does NOT mean I like Sather ;)

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Barnaby said:
Horrible before last night - that refers to what? the 3-4 games we got a chance to see. What about the rest of his UM and WJC career. He had a bad stretch - no question, but so far he's played his best in the biggest game that the US had. Let's see how he does tonight.

How do you know the Rangers D will always suck because of Sather? That's sort of a foolish statement right there. We have two very good 2nd pairing prospects in Tjutin and Kondratiev. If we get lucky we could definately land a great d-man like Jack Johnson this year. We then have nice depth after that to easily fill up the 3rd pairing and probably land another nice 2nd pairing player. In 3-4 years we might have a very solid D that is quickly becoming one of the best in the NHL.

Very possible Johnson or Kindl
Tjutin-Kondratiev
Baranka/Taylor/Lampman/Pock/Liffiton/Potter

Not such a bad group at this stage of the rebuild. After two more lousy years we will no doubt stock up on more d-men so to just say it will suck because Sather is GM is kind of short sighted.

Note: That does NOT mean I like Sather ;)
I was kind of meant before last night, but IMO, he has not played spectacular all season. He has been good, not great.

My comment about the defense always sucking was more of a Sather Hater comment. If I had the chance, I would kill the b@st@rd.

And we also need a good system, not just good players. I don't have confidence that Sather will be able to hire a man that will be able to employ a good defensive system.

I would love Johnson, he is #2 on my list. He'll be a clone of Brian Leetch, but a little better defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad