Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Michael Grabner (2 years, $1.600M AAV)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Well I hope you didn't sign him for your PK, because he isn't very good at that either.

You sure? The guy was the 2nd most PK time in the league.

A year ago, the Austrian was on for just 22 power-play goals against, one every 11:18.

Big reason why the Leafs, as brutal as they were, still had almost a top 10 PK.

And to compare the Rangers:

Rangers first-tandem partners Jesper Fast and Dominic Moore (on his way to other pastures as a free agent) were each on for 24 PPGAs in just over 171 minutes, or one goal per 7:08. Derek Stepan was on for a PPGA every 6:50 and Rick Nash one every 9:02.

Last edited:

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
You sure? The guy was the 2nd most PK time in the league.

Big reason why the Leafs, as brutal as they were, still had almost a top 10 PK.

And to compare the Rangers:

Look, I watched pretty well all of the Leafs' games last year, he isn't anything special on the PK.

McDonagh27

Aug 3, 2005
Canada
Look, I watched pretty well all of the Leafs' games last year, he isn't anything special on the PK.

Can you come up with a better reason then "you've watched all Leafs games?" Anything specific you can point to to prove your point that he isn't anything special on the PK?

Jyrki Lumme

Generational User
Mar 5, 2014
Can you come up with a better reason then "you've watched all Leafs games?" Anything specific you can point to to prove your point?

Basically positionally he is just ok, doesn't have a particularly active stick, will not get involved along the boards. Has a tendency to cherry pick around the point. His best asset on the PK is his speed, while it's not what it used to be, he's still quite fast. This leads to what I'd say is his best virtue on the PK, which is his threat to get breakaways, which keeps the opposing d honest.

I mean he's ok, and you can definitely use him on your PK, but I just don't think he has the motor or the smarts to be an elite PKer.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Grabner is money on the PK. Good shot blocker and he's a one man breakout. In fact the PK is pretty much the best use of his skillset since his biggest deficiencies are his lack of vision, bad hands in tight and only an average shot.

Hotel Mario

Feb 4, 2013
Thunder Bay
Lol... That's a good one.

As for Grabner, if healthy and has his speed... Great signing at that price. Just the threat of a break away makes teams adjust their game plan.

Nope, teams will keep their gameplan as is given that Grabner doesn't finish his breakaways. Easily one of the worst regular players on the Leafs that contributed to the last place finish with nothing short of horrendous offensive touch. Zero physicality to speak of which is not admirable in a bottom six role. Best suited as a fourth liner that exclusively kills penalties and doesn't see such much (if any) ice 5 on 5.

New York overpaid by 1 million dollars and a year in term.

Morten

May 24, 2014
Lol. The inevitable collapse of a team that gave away every draft pick and prospect

What have the Islanders achieved recently by keeping their picks/prospects? Rangers would just have to replace 2-3 bad players to stay as a top team in the east

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
What have the Islanders achieved recently by keeping their picks/prospects? Rangers would just have to replace 2-3 bad players to stay as a top team in the east

Yes, Rangers were one of only 8 teams to be eliminated in the first round last year. If I recall, Islanders went farther and still have their best days ahead thanks to all those prospects.

theFiGS

Oct 13, 2013
He's hagelin lighter than light.. Not a point guy and not as fast as he was but he should give us more than 19 points this year on a better team and at that price you can't go wrong. We got a great depth signing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad