Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Lias Andersson loaned to HV71 in SHL

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
From another thread.

The guy clearly needs some mental health care and is crying out for help. He clearly wasn't getting the help and support he needed and felt he had to go home which is a brave decision for a guy his age to make knowing what he's potentially throwing away. There's so much more around this other than him not just making the team, the way we treat athletes as a whole needs to change, they're not perfect, they're still human being and they still need help.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Being loaned to a SHL team so he can resume hockey activities is a continuation of the trade demand, from suspended without pay for refusing to play for the organization to playing with an European team. Same predicament as JP. Both will be gone in a package deal at the deadline where respective GMs will have a much easier time trading away and trading for something where JP/LA isn't the sole or even center piece and won't be as vulnerable to bad optics and reactions, particularly from the Oilers and Rangers fan base. A simple hockey transaction that benefits both the player and the org in a situation made sour mostly by the player. Hardly another thread to pronounce his career dead.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
The guy clearly needs some mental health care and is crying out for help. He clearly wasn't getting the help and support he needed and felt he had to go home which is a brave decision for a guy his age to make knowing what he's potentially throwing away. There's so much more around this other than him not just making the team, the way we treat athletes as a whole needs to change, they're not perfect, they're still human being and they still need help.

You can make your own assumptions about the situation but one thing is for sure: nothing is “clear”. You have no insight into how the Rangers organization handled this. To assume they didn’t get it right is as unfair as assuming this is on Lias. Both sides have been vague and posts like this are a misrepresentation of a story that isn’t fully understood.

Reactions: tgo0 and egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Rangers don’t want to move him. They don’t want to give in to his demands and want to work it out but apparently Lias is still scarred and won’t even talk to JD in person, only through his agent
Bro your over-consumption of McMuffins is getting to your head. This is so wrong. :laugh:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Jeez, some of the things being said here is just messed up. A kid taking charge of his mental health shouldn’t be scolded upon, there’s some things that’re just more important.

Good for him. Hopes he takes care of his mental health.

With that said, please can fans stop valuing him? He's basically worth nothing in a trade until he plays a full year of successful hockey.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
It's best for all parties that he actually plays hockey. Hes still in a development age and cannot afford to sit on his ass. Hopefully he plays well and boosts his trade value.

Reactions: Ciao

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
ah the Rangers version of Jesse Puljujarvi ! a trade for each other would make sense here but i have a feeling the Oilers will include Jesse in a package at the trade deadline in February to get a legit scorer?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
No one:

Lisa Andersson: I'm about to end my whole career

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
According to swedish newspapers he was offered to return to Frölunda first who declined because of strings attached that he was to recieve a big playing role.

Makes sense for Frölunda since the only thing he's shown in SHL is promise due to young age, followed up by an unconvincing NHL and AHL performance, plus their team is stacked by swedish standards.

Despite that, I'm sure he's going to prove to be an effective SHL'er at HV71. Maybe not enough to warrant a return to NHL though, it'll be interesting to follow though.

I won't make any judgement about the whole suspension and asking to be traded thing since I don't know any of the details.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I don't think this situation is solely about him not getting what he wanted and bailing.
I think there was a physical injury involved and then something happened with his mental well being because of it.
I read a couple of things about him having issues with his skates and his feet were injured and things compounding from there.

Reactions: UnSandvich

nilssont

May 27, 2007
According to swedish newspapers he was offered to return to Frölunda first who declined because of strings attached that he was to recieve a big playing role.

Makes sense for Frölunda since the only thing he's shown in SHL is promise due to young age, followed up by an unconvincing NHL and AHL performance, plus their team is stacked by swedish standards.

Despite that, I'm sure he's going to prove to be an effective SHL'er at HV71. Maybe not enough to warrant a return to NHL though, it'll be interesting to follow though.

I won't make any judgement about the whole suspension and asking to be traded thing since I don't know any of the details.

I am a huge HV71 fan, and he was solid for us back at 17 when we won, so im kind of happy that he is back, even if he act like a baby often.

Still, I dont think he will have much success here.
Our GM is shit and our headcoach is bad, and we play a very boring, slow and old school type of hockey with a crappy powerplay.

Frölunda would have been better for his development imo, even in a smaller role.

Last edited:

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

I’m sorry but Lias was one of the leading players on the team when HV71 won it all, scored Important goals and had a crucial role shutting down the opposition.
His line, the gummi bears, was arguably the best one during those playoffs, every time the other teams pushed Lias and co would get the team going again. He had the hardest role on the team and aced it.

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
You can make your own assumptions about the situation but one thing is for sure: nothing is “clear”. You have no insight into how the Rangers organization handled this. To assume they didn’t get it right is as unfair as assuming this is on Lias. Both sides have been vague and posts like this are a misrepresentation of a story that isn’t fully understood.

Well they don't have a resident psychologist with the team, they outsource in the summer and bring in ex players to 'mentor' these kids rather than surrounding them with mental health practitioners. It's more a problem with sports in general rather than just the Rangers, the state of sports psychology is these extremely high pressure environments is severely lacking (I spend most of my days researching this shit so it's not just assumptions). Guys just dont walk away from their best shot at making it big without there being further issues at play.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Kid thought he was entitled to a gold medal, then entitled to a roster spot?

Kick rocks.

Do you really think he feels he was entitled to a gold medal or more likely he was upset with his failure to earn it?
I don't see how you worked the entitled thing in with any actual credence.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Well they don't have a resident psychologist with the team, they outsource in the summer and bring in ex players to 'mentor' these kids rather than surrounding them with mental health practitioners. It's more a problem with sports in general rather than just the Rangers, the state of sports psychology is these extremely high pressure environments is severely lacking (I spend most of my days researching this **** so it's not just assumptions). Guys just dont walk away from their best shot at making it big without there being further issues at play.

There is still a boatload of assumptions being made. It’s not clear. I wish the best for Andersson, but you really have no idea what actually happened here and you shouldn’t state otherwise.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
I don’t know the whole thing about Andersson but I think it’s maybe the best for him to take a step back from the NHL maybe 2 years and work on himself in a good league. I still believe in the guy
Agreed, he may just need time to grow up.

Reactions: Maitz

Doriva

May 6, 2015
Middlesbrough, UK
There is still a boatload of assumptions being made. It’s not clear. I wish the best for Andersson, but you really have no idea what actually happened here and you shouldn’t state otherwise.

I'm not saying it's 100% the case this time, I'm just more trying to make the point that it's alarming that an organisation run by a billionaire doesn't have a resident Sports Psychologist with the team as part of the staff. The world of pro sports is a rough place for those involved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad