Eklund Rumor: NYR interested in Alex Chiasson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Did you ever watch the Flames play?

Chiasson and Brouwer were the #1 and #2 reasons why Bennett had such a poor statistical season.

Chiasson is a 5th line player on most playoff teams. The problem is he doesn't know what it means to be a 4th line player. He still has it stuck in his head he's a Top 6 or Top 9 player that is expected to contribute offensively.

Really good bottom 6 players accept their role as being defensively sound as a checker where you are providing some energy to the Top 6 group and every now and then you contribute offensively.

Picture Matt Stajan. The best 4th line player in the NHL. He accepts his role. He excels in his role. He knows what is expected of him and doesn't try to play outside of his role.

Chiason is still chasing the idea of being an offensive player as it's the only way he can extend his career in the NHL. He is great at missing open nets and has hands of stone when it comes to making passes.

Just see Sam Bennett's league wide horrific shooting % for reference.

After Gully stopped throwing Chiasson on top 6 and bottom 6 lines for experiments, he began settling into a good energy pest role in the bottom 6. I agree Chiasson didn't know what he was, but he was being thrown up and down the roster as well. It's Gully's fault for not helping Chiasson understand his bottom 6 role at the beginning of the year.

I think Chiasson accepts he's a bottom 6 now and that's why we started seeing better performance from him later in the season. I am saying he's decent at around 1 mil. I'm not saying he's great value that other teams are idiots for not taking advantage.

There's far more than just Chiasson and Brouwer for Bennett's season. A huge part of that is Gully and Bennett's rotating cast of players like Ferland, Bouma, Versteeg, Chiasson, Brouwer etc. Bennett after a while just stopped trying to use his team mates due to the varying styles of players placed on his line. Similar to Chiasson, Bennett didn't understand his role due to the types of players placed on his wing. Most of this is sorted out now.

According to you, I don't watch Flames games. I don't know anything.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not a chance. He's nothing but a 4th liner who can sometimes play 3rd line. He was a black hole offensively and got knocked off the puck a lot more than he should have. He busted hard for Ottawa. Calgary seems to be happier with him, so maybe he's not completely done yet...not exactly the ringing endorsement you want on your team.

The Rangers have nothing better in their system?

I'd rather go with a guy who can pot in 12 goals and kill penalties than call somebody up. The issue is we have a lot of prospects who are either going to bust or have a much larger role than a 4th liner. Halting their development for 4th line duties might not be the best thing for them. And the prospects I would say have 4th line written all over them, I'm not sure they'd be better or more reliable than Chiasson who could at least be put on our PK after losing a pker in Stepan.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Chiasson was really good for us in Calgary once he settled into his 4th line role. We hated having hm play with Gaudreau and Monahan because he'd be offside 1000x a game but he was really effective on the PK and worked well in the bottom 6. Would be a good pickup

zharkenby

Jun 17, 2011
You would think by now people would stop taking anything this plug has to say seriously . He makes money off of bored fans during the offseason. Terrible terrible source who's gotten almost nothing rigjt since kovy to NJ... Which ESPN also had

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Name them.

Chiasson is an effective bottom 6 forward, and if a team could sign him at 1 million, they likely would. You could do a hell of a lot worse than him.

Look, I've watched Chiasson play in Ottawa, and he's the worst NHL regular I've ever seen. Like other Sens fans have said, it is true that Chris Neil is a better player than Chiasson. Chiasson is the player I have seen that takes the most penalties. I have never seen a player take so many bad penalties.

The guy scores 10, but he costs you about 10 just by himself. There is nothing he's very good at other than board work. He was not a good penalty killer in Ottawa, hence why he got taken off of it. He never went to the net, extremely bad skater so doesn't get to use his size to his advantage, not very physical... Not much good about Chiasson.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Did you ever watch the Flames play?

Chiasson and Brouwer were the #1 and #2 reasons why Bennett had such a poor statistical season.

Chiasson is a 5th line player on most playoff teams. The problem is he doesn't know what it means to be a 4th line player. He still has it stuck in his head he's a Top 6 or Top 9 player that is expected to contribute offensively.

Really good bottom 6 players accept their role as being defensively sound as a checker where you are providing some energy to the Top 6 group and every now and then you contribute offensively.

Picture Matt Stajan. The best 4th line player in the NHL. He accepts his role. He excels in his role. He knows what is expected of him and doesn't try to play outside of his role.

Chiason is still chasing the idea of being an offensive player as it's the only way he can extend his career in the NHL. He is great at missing open nets and has hands of stone when it comes to making passes.

Just see Sam Bennett's league wide horrific shooting % for reference.

It was the exact same story in Ottawa. Couldn't have put it better. He drags his teammates down. He quite simply should not be a NHL regular.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not bad tbh, 4th line player while Fast is out and makes sure puempel is not playing

Puemple is a better player than Chiasson. Chiasson actually is a negative, he is really bad. Goes offside all the time, takes terrible penalties, would rather chip it to no one than make a direct pass. Only reason I thought he was signed last year was due to the inexplicable love that Dave Cameron has for him.

The biggest problem with Chiasson is that your team just won't score with him on the ice. He just doesn't have much vision or offensive anticipation, and isn't much of a shooter overall. On the rush he seems to have a 65% offside rate.

What he is though is an excellent 4RW in a checking role, and he's strong on the forecheck and PK.

I'd like to have him back in Calgary if we had a spot on 4RW but between Brouwer, Freddie Hamilton, and Lazar I'd wish him all the best.

This except i think you're still giving him too much credit. How does an NHL player go offside so much? Does he not understand the rule?

To be blunt, that's just dumb. I'll take the point as you think Chiasson isn't needed, but signing Neil over him makes no sense.

Sure it does, atleast Neil will drop the gloves and finish his checks without letting up moments before contact.

Id take Neil over him in a heartbeat. While he isnt as good a skater as Chiasson he has more hockey sense and thats really just a dig on Chiasson because he has no idea where to go on the ice.

Last edited:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Puemple is a better player than Chiasson. Chiasson actually is a negative, he is really bad. Goes offside all the time, takes terrible penalties, would rather chip it to no one than make a direct pass. Only reason I thought he was signed last year was due to the inexplicable love that Dave Cameron has for him. ...

this^
chia is fast but soft if he misses on d w/his speed, forget it.

ahl depth signing for minimum only, w/hope he can be whipped into shape, and learn to play better; if not, not even worth the contract slot

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
To be blunt, that's just dumb. I'll take the point as you think Chiasson isn't needed, but signing Neil over him makes no sense.
He's a bitter Sens fan because their GM was stupid enough to trade Spezza with Chiasson as the main piece coming back.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
How so? You can't not at least be "interested" if you're "looking into" him.

If I go to the mall, pick up a pair of shoes to look at them, decide I don't like them, put them down and leave the store that's looking at them. If I do the same and try them on, then I'm interested.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Puemple is a better player than Chiasson. Chiasson actually is a negative, he is really bad. Goes offside all the time, takes terrible penalties, would rather chip it to no one than make a direct pass. Only reason I thought he was signed last year was due to the inexplicable love that Dave Cameron has for him.

Regarding Puemple being a better player, that could be true, but we're looking for the 4th liner and I don't see Puemple playing that role.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
He's a bitter Sens fan because their GM was stupid enough to trade Spezza with Chiasson as the main piece coming back.

No one wanted Spezza and when Nashville actually stepped up, Spezza vetoed it. Ottawa was lucky it got anything for him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not a big Chiasson fan... mostly because he was Dave Cameron's pet in Ottawa and was overused in all situations to no success.

So in reality you didn't like Cameron?

Think about it, any player would take the ice-time and responsibility given to them. Wouldn't you?

Look, I've watched Chiasson play in Ottawa, and he's the worst NHL regular I've ever seen. Like other Sens fans have said, it is true that Chris Neil is a better player than Chiasson. Chiasson is the player I have seen that takes the most penalties. I have never seen a player take so many bad penalties.

The guy scores 10, but he costs you about 10 just by himself. There is nothing he's very good at other than board work. He was not a good penalty killer in Ottawa, hence why he got taken off of it. He never went to the net, extremely bad skater so doesn't get to use his size to his advantage, not very physical... Not much good about Chiasson.

wow it's crazy, I have watched the NHL religiously for 25 years and this statement is not even remotely close for me. You're saying that and yet tons of people came in this thread saying he's been good or decent in his role.

It's insane when hockey fans start to develop an hate for a player... seems there is no limit.

No one wanted Spezza and when Nashville actually stepped up, Spezza vetoed it. Ottawa was lucky it got anything for him.

In the end, it was Nick Paul (should be a great bottom-6 player) + 2nd (unfortunately they could/should have made a better choice with that pick) + Chiasson (decent 3rd/4th liner) for 1 year of 30 y/o Spezza (had back problems too) who was going to test UFA and end up overpaid (which he is now at 7.5 per year). The Sens took very little salary back in Chiasson. Freeing up real money is a big asset in that deal that is totally overlooked by fans.

Sens were pretty much screwed when Spezza demanded a trade, stated that he would not re-sign with Ottawa and then refused the (great) deal that was going to send him to Nashville.

When you take all the reality context in consideration, it's really not as bad as people make it out to be.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
This except i think you're still giving him too much credit. How does an NHL player go offside so much? Does he not understand the rule?

I think he just has terrible timing and skates too fast for his own good. Many of his offsides were of the "video review five replays needed" variety. His offsides did go down significantly once he was put on Bennett's line, but that line just never put the puck in the net because of his lack of offensive ability as Versteeg/Bennett were thinking the game at a higher level.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Chiasson is a pretty good player with awful hands. Probably an NHLer. Sometimes he makes surprisingly good plays.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017
All that matters is he did not sign again in Calgary. The average team will have 3 to 5 more losses with Chiasson on their roster instead of an average replacement player.

Considering Chiasson was gifted time with a #4 pick with #1 line upside and Troy Brouwer who at the time was coming off a career year.

People now question Bennett's upside after a year with Chiasson and Brouwer went from an in demand UFA to a negative value player.

I see Brouwer hitting 15-20 goals if they put him on Backlunds wing on our #3 line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad