Eklund Rumor: NYR interested in Alex Chiasson

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Sens didn't seem to like him, but Chiasson worked great for us in the bottom 6. He flounder greatly for obvious reasons when played in our 1st line.

Chiasson isn't as bad as some say. He's alright in the bottom 6. That being said, I'd rather pursue other options. However, I will say I am happy with the value of the Chiasson v Sieloff trade. I think many teams may be able to benefit by signing Chiasson to a low dollar contract.

Because we acquired Lazar and noticed a similar situation, Chiasson is expendable. I'm ok with him gone. I would rather try signing someone in FA this season than chase Chiasson.

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
Sens didn't seem to like him, but Chiasson worked great for us in the bottom 6. He flounder greatly for obvious reasons when played in our 1st line.

Chiasson isn't as bad as some say. He's alright in the bottom 6. That being said, I'd rather pursue other options. However, I will say I am happy with the value of the Chiasson v Sieloff trade. I think many teams may be able to benefit by signing Chiasson to a low dollar contract.

Because we acquired Lazar and noticed a similar situation, Chiasson is expendable. I'm ok with him gone. I would rather try signing someone in FA this season than chase Chiasson.

It didn't help that he also looked very similar to Spezza on the ice, the guy he was traded for when he was in Ottawa.
Expectations of Chiasson should be 4th line duties for under $1m.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Never really understood the hate for Chiasson. It's probably just because people thought he was the main piece in the Spezza deal and were expecting a top-6 forward.

Alex is good honest player, has produced 3rd line numbers in 3 of his 4 NHL seasons. He is not a top-6 forward but can play a role in the bottom-6. He was quite decent with Calgary last year.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
I would.

He is what he is at this point. He simply does not have an asset in his game (like Grabner's speed) that would allow for such a scenario to unfold.

He is a serviceable bottom six right wing option that can help in certain areas of the game and hurt you in others.

He is a good teammate who works extremely hard. Unfortunately that can only get you so far with his limited skillset.

You do realize we had Tanner Glass on this team for 3 years, he can't be worse than that.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
To be blunt, that's just dumb. I'll take the point as you think Chiasson isn't needed, but signing Neil over him makes no sense.

Not a big Chiasson fan... mostly because he was Dave Cameron's pet in Ottawa and was overused in all situations to no success.

NHLPA*

Jul 26, 2017

Did you ever watch the Flames play?

Chiasson and Brouwer were the #1 and #2 reasons why Bennett had such a poor statistical season.

Chiasson is a 5th line player on most playoff teams. The problem is he doesn't know what it means to be a 4th line player. He still has it stuck in his head he's a Top 6 or Top 9 player that is expected to contribute offensively.

Really good bottom 6 players accept their role as being defensively sound as a checker where you are providing some energy to the Top 6 group and every now and then you contribute offensively.

Picture Matt Stajan. The best 4th line player in the NHL. He accepts his role. He excels in his role. He knows what is expected of him and doesn't try to play outside of his role.

Chiason is still chasing the idea of being an offensive player as it's the only way he can extend his career in the NHL. He is great at missing open nets and has hands of stone when it comes to making passes.

Just see Sam Bennett's league wide horrific shooting % for reference.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I was wondering that, too. In that role, not a thing wrong with Puempel as long as he's not concussed.

He had/has the offensive potential (he's 24 now), but he's not very strong, responsible defensively, or overly physical. Not your ideal fourth-liner.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Would not be surprised if he had a Grabneresque rebound

Not a chance. He's nothing but a 4th liner who can sometimes play 3rd line. He was a black hole offensively and got knocked off the puck a lot more than he should have. He busted hard for Ottawa. Calgary seems to be happier with him, so maybe he's not completely done yet...not exactly the ringing endorsement you want on your team.

The Rangers have nothing better in their system?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
To be blunt, that's just dumb. I'll take the point as you think Chiasson isn't needed, but signing Neil over him makes no sense.

I second that. I'd sign Chris Neil waaaaaaaaaaaaaay before I signed Chiasson (I wouldn't).

At least Neil can play his 8 minutes (tops) a night and know his role. Chiasson never really figured out what he was in this league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad