Rumor: NYR in contract talks with Both Hayes and Zuc

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
This is not a bad thing. We have all seen guys get traded and after the fact say they would have stayed or signed. It's due diligence to ask what their number is before you start taking calls. I would avoid term on Zucc. I would avoid high AAV on Hayes. If this year's market is saturated, maybe we push the situation a year or two down the road rather than lose altogether.

Reactions: Crease

WilsonNY14

Jun 18, 2018
This could also be getting a feel for what those players are looking for on the open market after they trade them. Wouldn't be surprised if they signed with the Rangers again a few months later.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Seems like NYR has incentive to put this out there to get teams to up their offers...
Well really that sounds like a wild speculation to me - Rangers barely have top 6 depth and that is fact. :)

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
Well a few weeks ago with Hayes it was

"A first plus top prospect plus roster player"

*crickets*

Time to try something different maybe?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
trade both
Hayes returns
Zuc is welcomed back, but does he prefer short term deals for less $ or does he want the final bigger payday he deserves?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I am ok with keeping the core. The crap we will get in return will likely bust or not get the roster spots. Our AHL team sucks and is low scoring no matter how much talent is there. I am not crazy about how we develop prospects in NHL or AHL. I am not seeing too much success from the likes of Chytil, Howden, Andersson, etc.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
The article also says they aren't close at all to a deal and negotiations are in the very early stages

Basically where they've been for a long time. It'll be so boring if they re-sign tho

Reactions: Shootertooter

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Oh surprise this comes out when it's reported the price for Hayes is sky high. Zuc isn't exactly playing at a bargain price either.

I get at times they would rather stand pat rather than trade for pennies on the dollar, but Zuc doesn't fit their timeline unless he screws himself with a short term deal. Hayes seems more complicated based on his next contract ask

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I'll take boring. I won't take this team somehow thinking their not only not selling, they're buying. Aw, who am I kidding? I can't control it and Im gonna watch either way.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Well a few weeks ago with Hayes it was

"A first plus top prospect plus roster player"

*crickets*

Time to try something different maybe?

I'm not sure how much credence should be put in both statements as they appear to be little more than Brooks' assumptions/speculations. He gets one correct occasionally but he gets far more incorrect.

Reactions: Deuce Awesome

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
If Zuccarello gets moved do you think Dobson straight up for him would be enough or would we need to add a conditional 2nd? Asking for a friend.

regardless of how much thru the nose, I want Dobson out of the Isles.
If NY adds its projected early 2019 2nd w/Zuc, so be it.
But not Dobson, no cavalry to support Isle playoff push

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Media like TSN usually hype up TDL though, and not the first time this happen. However I`ve a notion if a team get Zucc in a rental value - they will have a hard time to resign him on a contender team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't think the Rangers want to take less back in a trade than they believe their value is. I think Zucc is going to get moved but I can see him returning next year on a short 2-3 year term. If the Rangers don't sign and move Hayes I don't see him coming back. He's still kind of young and getting better and he's going to be looking at long term and pretty big $'s if he goes to free agency. He'll no doubt have several very good teams he'll be able to choose from that aren't rebuilding like the Rangers.

I think it's smart that the Rangers are talking to their respective agents. There's no point in painting yourself into a corner. It gives them an option if they don't like what they see on the trade market.

FWIW they'll likely move McQuaid but I wouldn't be surprised if they signed him as a UFA if he's willing. From what I hear the Rangers like him and he likes the Rangers.

Reactions: Ori

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Yes I think some of us will be surprised at this TDL including me. I doubt Hayes return though - if they decide to get value for him based on his 1 year contract.

Reactions: Morgs

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
As I've mentioned before both guys don't really want to be traded and NY can't continue to trade everyone. Also Hayes is having a career year. Eventually teams will keep some vets even if they are reloading.
Plus Rangers can get value from Namestnikov and Pionk and the like.

Daniel Phillips

Feb 15, 2019
I see both of them traded for NHL ready prospects and then both of them resigning in the off season. They will both work it out because they both want to stay in NY. If the rumors are true on both Panarin and Bob signing with the same team together in the off season because they have the same agent, then I want them both back! The chemistry between Kreider-Zibby-Zucc is insane and that will be even more entertaining to watch when Kravstov comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad