Proposal: NYR-FL

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Rangers arent taking on cap. They are over the bonus money and its going to be a cap hit.
Again, as to the OP, it is one step backward to go two forward.

Strome has to be kept or dealt, either way, with a view toward beyond the next year or 2.
Stralman IS clearly only his 2 yr term AND
if we make ours up front at step one,
we can make Stralman available for basically just his cap hit, like a conditional 7th.

It is either that or add salary by signing Strome [not desirable]
or
let Strome walk for nothing, not acceptable.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Again, as to the OP, it is one step backward to go two forward.

Strome has to be kept or dealt, either way, with a view toward beyond the next year or 2.
Stralman IS clearly only his 2 yr term AND
if we make ours up front at step one,
we can make Stralman available for basically just his cap hit, like a conditional 7th.

It is either that or add salary by signing Strome [not desirable]
or
let Strome walk for nothing, not acceptable.
What is the obsession over washed up Anton? Rangers could just trade Strome to a team for picks/young player if they want. Makes no sense to taken Anton on.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
What is the obsession over washed up Anton? Rangers could just trade Strome to a team for picks/young player if they want. Makes no sense to taken Anton on.

Prove it.
Give me a better deal for Strome.
I am sure once we unload Smith we will be in better shape as to the bean counting but I still want to move Strome, Buch and Deangelo.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Prove it.
I am sure once we unload Smith we will be in better shape as to the bean counting but I still want to move Strome, Buch and Deangelo.
A 2nd round pick at the TDL. Get a 2nd and not have to take on a deadweight contract. We traded a 2nd to dump Staal so unless a first and Tippett or Borgstrom comes with Anton the Rangers won’t be interested.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
It's far from the worst proposal I've seen and it
would make sense if not for a few outside factors, and it's a big yes from my FL half of my heart, but a nah from the NYR half.

Stralman is not only a tad bit older and too expensive for too long for what we have to negotiate in the next couple years, we now have a log jam of defensemen. That's something I'd never thought I'd say, go figure Hank leaves when I am saying it. With Fox/Lindy and TDA/Trouba solidifying a most solid and satisfying top 4, we have the last two spots (hopefully temporarily) taken by Smitty and now Johnson while we have at least 4 potentially killer dmen trying to make their way in KAndre, Robertson, Lundkvist, and Schneider.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Prove it.
Sell, Mortimer, sell.
No.
Freedom of speech for all.
You don't like it, we won't miss you.
But I would miss you and your endless ragsplaining to fans of other teams as to why they need your potential cast offs.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A 2nd round pick at the TDL. Get a 2nd and not have to take on a deadweight contract. We traded a 2nd to dump Staal so unless a first and Tippett or Borgstrom comes with Anton the Rangers won’t be interested.

That's not as seamless as you suggest.
We would still have to sign Strome and play him between now and then.
That means he
a) immediately counts vs cap
and
b) would take away mins from other emerging Fs, which repeat of the Namest fiasco needs to be avoided

I understand Stal is another 1 mil we are taking on, but again that is temporary.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
As usual, another couple of vapid offerings.

Do let us know if and when you have something meaningful to contribute.
Okay. Fans of other teams:
Bern is going to try to talk you into trading your up and coming players or picks for Rangers that he wants off the team. He really thinks he is the GM, and will reiterate again and again why Ryan Strome is just starting to hit his stride. He will not mention that Panarin is the reason, but he will tell you that a fifth overall draftee is worth whatever he says Strome is. He will tell you that DeAngelo is not a nutcase, and I cannot believe that he is not already trying to move Jack Johnson.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
That's not as seamless as you suggest.
We would still have to sign Strome and play him between now and then.
That means he
a) immediately counts vs cap
and
b) would take away mins from other emerging Fs, which repeat of the Namest fiasco needs to be avoided

I understand Stal is another 1 mil we are taking on, but again that is temporary.
A) Strome should get a 1 year deal between 4.5-5.2. His replacement could be cheaper but I doubt many teams contending will trade for him now anyway due to cap crunch.
B) what other centres do Rangers have. The have Zib,Chytil,Howden..... They still need to sign someone and even if they went with Morgan Barron on the 4th that means Howden is on 3rd with Chytil on the 2nd yikes. Chytil could emerge but could be demanding a lot more money by playing with Panarin so it’s in the Rangers best interest to hold the pony back before the big finish.

Anton has two years left vs Strome’s one year so it’s not swapping money around plus the additional money for Strome’s replacement. Rangers are better off letting Strome walk after the year for nothing if it means getting Chytil locked up at a much cheaper rate while looking to add a cheap option down the middle for 3rd line in 21/22

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A) Strome should get a 1 year deal between 4.5-5.2. His replacement could be cheaper but I doubt many teams contending will trade for him now anyway due to cap crunch.
B) what other centres do Rangers have. The have Zib,Chytil,Howden..... They still need to sign someone and even if they went with Morgan Barron on the 4th that means Howden is on 3rd with Chytil on the 2nd yikes. Chytil could emerge but could be demanding a lot more money by playing with Panarin so it’s in the Rangers best interest to hold the pony back before the big finish.

Anton has two years left vs Strome’s one year so it’s not swapping money around plus the additional money for Strome’s replacement. Rangers are better off letting Strome walk after the year for nothing if it means getting Chytil locked up at a much cheaper rate while looking to add a cheap option down the middle for 3rd line in 21/22

re:

All the more reason to move him now while FL considers it in their best interest to make this deal.
IF FL wanted only cap relief, it could go there and just jettison Stralman but obv prefers to see if they can get value for him.
We don't have to do that; we get our value up front for Strome, so if Stral returns anything great, if not, we take a conditional 7th for him for immediate cap relief.

I envision Kravtsov as a good fit to pivot betw Kakko and Panarin.
Whether or not Krav or Chytil benefit from line w/breadman, they are immediately and cost controlled so this is not an issue until down the road, and we want their fullest possible results anyway.

Krav with that line
Zib pivots his line
Chytil unless traded in which case Morgan if ready moves up
Howden if not Morgan
next guy up should be re-signed Nieves, cause he would be solid defensive pivot on checking line w/Lemieux and RW.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
re:
A)

All the more reason to move him now while FL considers it in their best interest to make this deal.
IF FL wanted only cap relief, it could go there and just jettison Stralman but obv prefers to see if they can get value for him.
We don't have to do that; we get our value up front for Strome, so if Stral returns anything great, if not, we take a conditional 7th for him for immediate cap relief.

I envision Kravtsov as a good fit to pivot betw Kakko and Panarin.
Whether or not Krav or Chytil benefit from line w/breadman, they are immediately and cost controlled so this is not an issue until down the road, and we want their fullest possible results anyway.

Krav with that line
Zib pivots his line
Chytil unless traded in which case Morgan if ready moves up
Howden if not Morgan
next guy up should be re-signed Nieves, cause he would be solid defensive pivot on checking line w/Lemieux and RW.
Rangers paid a 2nd to unload Marc Staal’s 1 year and you think Anton who has less value than Staal will be a positive asset????? Sorry I think it’s stupid you want Florida’s 2nd so you can flip Rangers first with Anton because you are afraid of losing Strome for nothing.

Kravstov is playing in KHL for the season and he won’t be playing 2C for Rangers considering he is viewed as a Winger. Serious question do you have a bet on Strome going to Florida? Panthers signed Wennberg so I doubt they want Strome now.

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Rangers paid a 2nd to unload Marc Staal’s 1 year and you think Anton who has less value than Staal will be a positive asset????? Sorry I think it’s stupid you want Florida’s 2nd so you can flip Rangers first with Anton because you are afraid of losing Strome for nothing.

Kravstov is playing in KHL for the season and he won’t be playing 2C for Rangers considering he is viewed as a Winger. Serious question do you have a bet on Strome going to Florida? Panthers signed Wennberg so I doubt they want Strome now.
Apparently Kravtsov has played centre so there is every chance NYR try him at centre.

Reactions: bernmeister

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Apparently Kravtsov has played centre so there is every chance NYR try him at centre.
Yes he has played Centre but apparently they see him more as a RW which is why they past on Fast. Do you think they will play him on 2nd line like Bern suggested? Hayes started on 3rd line when he was converted. Kravs also did not look great last year. I’m not even sure he plays with Rangers till KHL season is over.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Yes he has played Centre but apparently they see him more as a RW which is why they past on Fast. Do you think they will play him on 2nd line like Bern suggested? Hayes started on 3rd line when he was converted. Kravs also did not look great last year. I’m not even sure he plays with Rangers till KHL season is over.

When Krav plays is partly a function of legal commitment, but idea is principally for him to stay busy, pref at first line level mins. So if he is mid season or later, whenever he gets here, fine.

Krav had whatever # of games in WJC and looked good there. Logic says they would not have put him there, or let that be his first ever high level of compete experience at pivot, unless there was a basis -- presumably including some level of prior history -- that he could cut it there. Which he did, comfortably.

Kravtsov has all the skills puckhandling/passing/vision skills required to handle C at NHL level. Whether or not he should be there or at F and on which line, obv depends on what those other lines are and who those pivots might be. But that said, I rely on my earlier representation of a formula that works is:
(dominant) driver of play - facilitator - finisher w/scoring touch
Fitting that equation nicely is
Kakko-Kravtsov-Panarin

Krav had a great training camp but we stupidly
a) did not move Namest earlier
and
b) indulged Lias w/top line mins he did not deserve

so Kravtsov got screwed at sq 1.
Fortunately for us, while he was not a happy camper -- who would be -- he was mature enough to do the right thing and work despite the fact he was mishandled.

It is official: while it is not quite can't miss and things could still go wrong, Kravtsov has the bern seal of approval.
Other combos can possibly work but I would be very confident the above line [whether you consider it the 2nd or whichever # you wanna give it] works, so I hope they listen to me.
There is a reason we drafted this guy 9OA ahead of Dobson.
Used properly, he will deliver.
The skill/ability is there. We are seeing it in Europe now.
It is a matter of experience -> comfort -> chemistry which should happen.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
When Krav plays is partly a function of legal commitment, but idea is principally for him to stay busy, pref at first line level mins. So if he is mid season or later, whenever he gets here, fine.

Krav had whatever # of games in WJC and looked good there. Logic says they would not have put him there, or let that be his first ever high level of compete experience at pivot, unless there was a basis -- presumably including some level of prior history -- that he could cut it there. Which he did, comfortably.

Kravtsov has all the skills puckhandling/passing/vision skills required to handle C at NHL level. Whether or not he should be there or at F and on which line, obv depends on what those other lines are and who those pivots might be. But that said, I rely on my earlier representation of a formula that works is:
(dominant) driver of play - facilitator - finisher w/scoring touch
Fitting that equation nicely is
Kakko-Kravtsov-Panarin

Krav had a great training camp but we stupidly
a) did not move Namest earlier
and
b) indulged Lias w/top line mins he did not deserve

so Kravtsov got screwed at sq 1.
Fortunately for us, while he was not a happy camper -- who would be -- he was mature enough to do the right thing and work despite the fact he was mishandled.

It is official: while it is not quite can't miss and things could still go wrong, Kravtsov has the bern seal of approval.
Other combos can possibly work but I would be very confident the above line [whether you consider it the 2nd or whichever # you wanna give it] works, so I hope they listen to me.
There is a reason we drafted this guy 9OA ahead of Dobson.
Used properly, he will deliver.
The skill/ability is there. We are seeing it in Europe now.
It is a matter of experience -> comfort -> chemistry which should happen.
A) they moved Names two games into the season
B) they gave Lias 4th line minutes with Gorton’s boy Michael Haley. Do you think Kravstov would succeed with that scenario?

You are missing the point I’m not saying he can’t play Centre but putting a 20 year old on 2nd line at a Centre facing Backstrom,Crosby,Malkin,Aho etc. look at Jack Hughes and Nico from the Devils how that is going pushing 18/19 year old in top centres. Nathan Mackinnon was a 3rd line guy entering the league until he was ready. Seems it worked out well for him

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
A) they moved Names two games into the season
B) they gave Lias 4th line minutes with Gorton’s boy Michael Haley. Do you think Kravstov would succeed with that scenario?

You are missing the point I’m not saying he can’t play Centre but putting a 20 year old on 2nd line at a Centre facing Backstrom,Crosby,Malkin,Aho etc. look at Jack Hughes and Nico from the Devils how that is going pushing 18/19 year old in top centres. Nathan Mackinnon was a 3rd line guy entering the league until he was ready. Seems it worked out well for him

MacKinnon wasn’t a 3rd line guy in 2014. Only 4 forwards averaged more TOI than MacKinnon, ROR, Landeskog, Duchene and Stastny.

I agree with what you’re saying about Kravtsov, but MacKinnon isn’t a great comparison to use.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
MacKinnon wasn’t a 3rd line guy in 2014. Only 4 forwards averaged more TOI than MacKinnon, ROR, Landeskog, Duchene and Stastny.

I agree with what you’re saying about Kravtsov, but MacKinnon isn’t a great comparison to use.
ROR Duchene and Statsny were centres and Mackinnon was not used like one. I said 3rd line guy as in he wasn’t used in big spots which was Statsny and ROR was in big FO situations. MacKinnon was sheltered in the sense he wasn’t used as a Centre unless favorable spots on the dot. Rangers haven’t had that Centre FO depth since 2014

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
ROR Duchene and Statsny were centres and Mackinnon was not used like one. I said 3rd line guy as in he wasn’t used in big spots which was Statsny and ROR was in big FO situations. MacKinnon was sheltered in the sense he wasn’t used as a Centre unless favorable spots on the dot. Rangers haven’t had that Centre FO depth since 2014

Yes, but he was still a top-6 forward and playing center. So he was getting the matchups.

Like I said, I get your point and the occasional use of Kravtsov at center for international teams is definitely not a sticking point for playing him at center, but I just don’t think MacKinnon would be the best example to use to prove your point. He actually prospered there as a rookie. He tried to put on weight/muscle after and it took him 3 seasons to find that balance, plus Colorado was a really bad team 15-17.

Anyway, the organization views Kravtsov as a wing, from everything that’s been reported, so I’m not worried about him playing center. Bern is just being Bern again.

FireGorton

Laf to Kak
Aug 6, 2020
Yes, but he was still a top-6 forward and playing center. So he was getting the matchups.

Like I said, I get your point and the occasional use of Kravtsov at center for international teams is definitely not a sticking point for playing him at center, but I just don’t think MacKinnon would be the best example to use to prove your point. He actually prospered there as a rookie. He tried to put on weight/muscle after and it took him 3 seasons to find that balance, plus Colorado was a really bad team 15-17.

Anyway, the organization views Kravtsov as a wing, from everything that’s been reported, so I’m not worried about him playing center. Bern is just being Bern again.
You referred to 13/14 season which they won 51 games. His insulation disappeared in ROR,Statsny and still had disgruntled Duchene. His production dropped once those guys were done and he was used as a legit top 6 Centre. It took 3 years as a Centre full time for him to develop but somehow you think he’s a bad example. I wonder why Jack Hughes and Nico other guys I pointed to were not good examples?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad