Confirmed with Link: NYR Fire John Davidson and Jeff Gorton

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
One person that has survived this mess that no one has talked about is Gordie Clarke. You know the guy responsible for the Lias Andersson fiasco among other bad draft picks. Does Drury get a new Director of Player Personnel? It would be very odd if we just have a new GM, but keep the head scout and head coach.

Gorton and Gordie are connected. I'm pretty sure Gorton came into the organization at the recommendation of Gordie Clark.

I don't think he's long for the organization. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires soon or if he and most of the staff is let go.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Gorton and Gordie are connected. I'm pretty sure Gorton came into the organization at the recommendation of Gordie Clark.

I don't think he's long for the organization. Wouldn't be surprised if he retires soon or if he and most of the staff is let go.
Agree, he’s gone especially if they move farther into the analytics field

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
I know Carp isn’t taking a shot at Larry but I did laugh at this snippet from his article this morning when you compare it to Larry’s column yesterday saying the complete opposite lol

It's not that they missed the playoffs, it's how they missed the playoffs.

And the fact that much of the season was marked by disturbingly uninspired play and a lack of any visible leadership on the ice when it mattered most.

Having patience in a young team is one thing, ignoring obvious signs of trouble is another matter entirely.

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
The team played its best Hockey with Quinn in quarantine and Drury on the bench. If you guys can't see that Quinn is gone you haven't been paying much attention. Dolan certainly was. I said a week before Dolan fired everyone that I wouldn't be surprised to see both Groton and Quinn gone, and that would allow JD to put his stamp on the team. I never saw JD being fired. But he has been, Drury is the guy in charge and he has a hell of a lot to work with and still has much to do. I think Drury will be fine in his new positions.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Here's the thing I take issue with (& sorry I'm just getting caught up on reading your posts Edge)

Lemieux wasn't ever a 1st line player... Zbad is. When you have altercations and or straight up muggings, wanting Panarin or Zbad to answer those calls is foolish.

When you have no one in your lineup who can/will that's an issue.

I realize he may not have been on the ice during the Wilson riot, and Lemieux is NO deterrent, you still need someone (wish it was Kreider) to ring the damn bell at some point, answer the call, whatever analogy you want.

Wilson kills Buch and Bread... Wilson goes to box, Kreider or Lemieux come on the ice and you send a message to their best player(s). It's how hockey goes sometimes (sadly or not) and WE HAD/HAVE NO ability to do that because each and every single player on this team thinks they're Wayne f***ing Gretzky and no one says "I'm MOTHER f***ING MARTY McSORLEY"

I don't disagree. I think they need a pack mentality. I don't think it exists on the current roster --- especially with Lindgren and Trouba out. It doesn't come naturally to them, and if they're going to survive, it better.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I don't disagree. I think they need a pack mentality. I don't think it exists on the current roster --- especially with Lindgren and Trouba out. It doesn't come naturally to them, and if they're going to survive, it
better.

who do u think or have heard the rangers will target this year?

What would your ideal scenario be?

always enjoy reading your insights

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I don't disagree. I think they need a pack mentality. I don't think it exists on the current roster --- especially with Lindgren and Trouba out. It doesn't come naturally to them, and if they're going to survive, it better.

@Edge - any idea what this smoke is around Lemieux? Carp mentioned that he was not moved b/c of VK or a trade request, players yesterday mentioned more issues than the media/fans even knew about....anything there?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
who do u think or have heard the rangers will target this year?

What would your ideal scenario be?

always enjoy reading your insights

Honestly it's too early in the new regime to tell. Things will loosen up a bit, but outside the organization people have mentioned someone like Ryan Getzlaf or Foligno as a transition piece for them.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
@Edge - any idea what this smoke is around Lemieux? Carp mentioned that he was not moved b/c of VK or a trade request, players yesterday mentioned more issues than the media/fans even knew about....anything there?

Nothing that's made it's way outside the organization.

His father made the request and the info they've been sharing thus far was that they were hoping for an expanded role and they didn't see that happening in New York.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The good news is that we have a number of guys who are willing to follow someone else’s lead in that department. Kreider, Buch, Laf, Kakko etc aren’t going to start stuff themselves really but if they’re on the ice with a guy or two who will, I suspect they’ll stand a bit taller and join the pack. We just need those guys who lead the way sprinkled throughout the lineup. Say we add a Coleman, a Reeves, an Oleksiak or similar bottom pairing guy - all of a sudden, between them and Lindgren, Trouba, etc, more often than not there’s someone on the ice who’s going to mix it up and rally everyone else

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
I'm going to apologize in advance - work is incredibly busy right now and we're in the process of packing up our home and moving to a new location about an hour east.

im in the same boat. We are packing our house too. But i still dont have closing date. Should be within next 30 days bc our on or about date is May 15.

packing sucks. Thank god for my wife.

Reactions: kovazub94

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
One person that has survived this mess that no one has talked about is Gordie Clarke. You know the guy responsible for the Lias Andersson fiasco among other bad draft picks. Does Drury get a new Director of Player Personnel? It would be very odd if we just have a new GM, but keep the head scout and head coach.
I thought Lias was bc the team environment was toxic in his opinion and he was forced to play through injury or something

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

I haven't forgotten, hence my little tagline.

The McIlrath pick was a big enough disaster to get everyone involved fired.

And that was in response to Carcillo doing the same thing to Gaborik that Wilson did to Panarin so I shudder to think what insane drastic reaction is coming this time around.

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
I don't think they necessarily have to but you mention Crosby and you should look up what Sullivan has had to say about him as a captain/leader. He has been the 'kick you in the ass' type when he's needed to be. What he further said about Crosby is that he knows how to adapt his communication with an individual depending on what best works to get a good response out of them. Honestly those tend to be the best kind of leaders in group settings.

With Ovechkin, he wasn't named captain until age 25, and couldn't it be said that except for the Cup year that the Caps, as a team, have underperformed in the playoffs during his tenure? Since he's been captain, they've finished first in their division 10 out of 13 years (also lead the division this weird year) and have only made the CONFERENCE finals that one time.

This is what great leaders possess.. This is in no way an advocation for Mark Messier to be coach, there’s more to coaching than this skill alone.. This is what the camp that wants Messier does not understand.. Never put the work in to do the X’s and O’s..

Reactions: JCProdigy

DekeR

Jan 11, 2008
I don't believe in coincidences. The firing was in a direct relation to the "2nd letter" to the NHL. You don't air your laundry in the NHL without consequences. I believe that both the NYR's players and the owner, both lacking backbone in the moment were bullied into these circumstances and responses. You don't fire hockey minds like JD and Gordon with the pretense that a different avenue needs to be taken and than hire Drury who recently said "Drury said not to expect anything drastic in the wake of the firings and his promotion." I don't get the crap that says we need a different direction and then hire someone that says we are on the right track. Change the third and forth lines by adding some urgency in their play and backbone, add some size because it takes both to contend.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
That is just a bizarre take, given Fox and Trouba both forced themselves here, Kreider gave up money compared to what he was expected to get on the open market to stay here and Panarin left money on the table to come here.

It's not bizarre when Edge said no one wanted to come here. due to Covid. Trouba and Fox didn't force themselves to NYR specifically. Fox would have waited it out as a UFA after and probably comes to New York but not guaranteed.

You can't compare Richards over a decade ago or even Shattenkirk four years ago to now.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
That is just a bizarre take, given Fox and Trouba both forced themselves here, Kreider gave up money compared to what he was expected to get on the open market to stay here and Panarin left money on the table to come here.
After a winning tradition is established, the mystique may well come back, but it's worth noting that Fox has detached himself from any talk of a nostalgic, fanboy return to his hometown (which Shattenkirk and Drury totally did not - different circumstances, of course), and that Trouba would have gone anywhere in the East Coast that could have provided career opportunities for his fiancée.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->