Post-Game Talk: NYR @ EDM: RELAX, it's just the preseason

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
aye, they move well (McD's probably the best skater), but sheer speed like Allen's isn't something I've noticed. Maybe I've been away too long from watching a full game.

Happy to see Staal doing well, and from the highlights MZA's looking good too.

John Moore and Marc Staal are very good skaters. The team is based around speed and skating for sure.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fast has been good. He is more deserving of a spot than Kreider.

Kreider has all the physical tools but for some reason, doesn't look like he wants it. It's not a coaching issue, it's a Chris Kreider issue.

I like Miller, but I need to see him do it again. Consistency is always a question with young players. Hopefully AV has him in there the next 2 games.

I don't agree with the bolded part.

Some have seen Chris Kreider and noted that Kreider is not Zherdev II, and hence thought that it would be a dance on roses for him since he is a physical monster, skates fast and can shoot the puck. There are many players in this league who just plays a straight forward game. Why can't Kreider do the same even if he isn't a offensive wiz?

But the game in the NHL is never easy. Even to play a simple game, you need to be "smart". There are diffrent kind of smarts. A Hagelin got his smarts. A Fedetenko got his smarts. And so forth. But its not easy and its -- never -- a given that a kid that can skate and shoot is smart enough to get by so to speak. The range here is just as big as the range as it comes to skating for example. Its maybe not a relevant comparision, but Freddy Shoestring was strong, really fast and could shoot too, great on SOs etc. Still never more than a 4th lineer and he couldn't even cut it as in the SHL and hence recently retired.

Kreider is definitely not lazy from my point of view. But when playing a game of hockey against the absolute best players in the game, he is just far behind the avg player when it comes to processing the game.

I don't want to tear Kreider apart, unless things really go south I -- like I have all along -- think he will become a solid 2-3rd lineer for us. But he just needs to learn to play the game at this level and that could take time.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm also saying this now.... we could actually very easily (with the addition of DET and CLB) miss the playoffs, this year.

Holy ****ing **** with this board. We haven't even played ONE regular season game with our ACTUAL
roster. Take a step back dude. :help:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He has been VERY impressive. Maybe another undrafted gem?

Yeah, and he especially good in the areas we as a team is weak.

He is making decisions with the puck that many of our established D's are unable to do at this point, and that AV definitely wants to be made.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I love JT Miller... he deserves a roster spot.

Staal obviously looks great...

Kristo, Lindberg, Hrivik, are all MEH

Kreider is scaring me... and it pains me to say that, considering I dropped $200 on a jersey 2 years ago during the playoffs.

Kristo, Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik have done nothing to show me they deserve to be in the NHL right now.

Miller has...

I'm also saying this now.... we could actually very easily (with the addition of DET and CLB) miss the playoffs, this year.

NYR might not be a playoff team because of the mighty CBJ? :laugh:. Come on guy. If the Rangers can't make the playoffs what in the world makes you think CBJ will?

16 To Stanley*

Holy ****ing **** with this board. We haven't even played ONE regular season game with our ACTUAL

No one on this board has any patience. We have 40 playesr on the roster right now. We haven't played one game with a team even remotely close to an NHL lineup.

Players are learning a new system, learning new teammates, learning new rules. NO team looks perfect this time of year.

People learn to need to have patience. Richards doesn't look good, but calm down, he hasn't played one real game this year. He's learning a new system as well.

People are already saying how bad Arniel has been with the PP. He's been working on it what, a week?

Let them at least play a few real games, with a real team, before passing judgement.

Missing the playoffs :help::help::help:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Agreed on both counts. I think the physicality will come as he gets more comfortable but the kid can really skate.

The other thing to note is that he looks 100% comfortable on the right side. I tuned in late to the game last night and saw Staal make a pass to his D partner, who then lasered a stretch pass to Hrivik on the far wing, and thought to myself, "Nice pass, DZ... Wait, what? Allen? Wow!"

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Pro's: Marc Staal, Connor Allen, Benouit Pouliot, JT Miller

Cons: Kreider - time to grab the bull by the horns. He's become the excuse machine. He's on the top line and 'Richards is bringing him down.' He plays with other players and 'no one can get him the puck.' At some point the guy has to make plays, and put up some points. Also, MZA, I always hear about how well he's playing, but he can't seem to score.

You hear that because he has been one of the better guys on the ice. Zooks can score but his first instinct is to pass. He had 2-4 beautiful set ups in his 2 games. 2 resulted in goals (Brass, Staal). Zooks will get 12-16 goals and 30-35 assists. That is huge for a guy often playing on the 3rd line and only making 1.2 mill.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The other thing to note is that he looks 100% comfortable on the right side. I tuned in late to the game last night and saw Staal make a pass to his D partner, who then lasered a stretch pass to Hrivik on the far wing, and thought to myself, "Nice pass, DZ... Wait, what? Allen? Wow!"

He is quietly confident which is a very good thing.

He had 53 PIM's last year in college. That is a lot when there is no fighting. He must normally play with an edge to his game.

Drewbackatu*

pretty much :shakehead

Gotta agree with you guys; he's a square peg trying to fit in a round hole bc of his lousy skating; still and all, buying him out this this june instead of last june is the right decision for this team.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
All in all I'm just very happy with the Conor Allen signing. Hope he gets big minutes in Hartford next to McI.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I thought the team played pretty well last night, by preseason standards. Everyone is still getting their games up to speed, but that's particularly true of most goaltenders. Inconsistent outings for them right now.

I liked our puck possession, even in the first period when we only managed 3 shots.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Fast has been good. He is more deserving of a spot than Kreider.
Kreider has all the physical tools but for some reason, doesn't look like he wants it. It's not a coaching issue, it's a Chris Kreider issue.

I like Miller, but I need to see him do it again. Consistency is always a question with young players. Hopefully AV has him in there the next 2 games.

Well, I'm glad people are finally starting to realize that it's a Kreider issue. All last year people spewed garbage towards anyone who was criticizing him. Kid is very, very skilled but skates faster than he can think the game.

His lack of hockey IQ is killing him. Same **** that killed Rico Fata (Kreider is a lot more talented, though). He just outskated his mental abilities and looked lost.

Jim Ramsay

Jul 1, 2003
Warwick, NY
I'm starting to come to the realization that Kreider may not being the legit scoring winger I thought he would be... I just feel like coaches must have told him that with his size, power and speed he should be a lot more noticeable and he simply hasn't done that.... and I can't accept people trying to blame this on Richards...Richards didn't play last night and I saw a lot of the same inconsistency in his game

DudMan28

Jan 30, 2013
Well, I'm glad people are finally starting to realize that it's a Kreider issue. All last year people spewed garbage towards anyone who was criticizing him. Kid is very, very skilled but skates faster than he can think the game.

His lack of hockey IQ is killing him. Same **** that killed Rico Fata (Kreider is a lot more talented, though). He just outskated his mental abilities and looked lost.

His biggest problem is that he doesn't even skate half the time. I wouldnt mind if he was out there flying around and making mistakes, but he seems to just float most of the time.

KreiMeARiver*

blah blah blah....that bit is tired...

I see the ingredients on the counter and I'm not sure they are going to make for a very tasty dinner.

The conference is much improved...

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
When it is all said and done, I expect a very similar team to last year. Outstanding defense and average offense.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
His biggest problem is that he doesn't even skate half the time. I wouldnt mind if he was out there flying around and making mistakes, but he seems to just float most of the time.

He's very passive, think he gets overwhelmed playing with guys better than him. That's why he looked better with Miller. He seemed more involved on that line, trying to make things happen instead of waiting for someone to do something.

blah blah blah....that bit is tired...

I see the ingredients on the counter and I'm not sure they are going to make for a very tasty dinner.

The conference is much improved...

Please. This bit is tired.

But it is easier to be negative about everything than to expect good things and having to deal with the possibility of disappointment. A pretty weak mindset really.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
the conference is much improved only in the sense that playoff spots are harder to come by. I consider NYR the third best regular season team in the East. The Rangers wont be perfect and will probably stumble early but give this "we're going to miss the playoffs because we didn't win a preaseaon game" **** a rest. I don't lose any sleep over Carolina, CBJ, NJ, or the Isles stealing a playoff spot. You shouldn't either.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
and again, Kreider had a pretty good game last night from what I've seen. Slowly getting more involved in the games, using his speed more, just give the kid some time. And keep him away from Richards, lol.

BarbaraAlphanse

In regards to Kreider, this board will never change. Many of you hyped him up without ever watching him play a single game. You built up expectations on how he should play or what he would do when he played based on... what exactly?

I watched him for 3 years, game in and game out. I don't know how many times i've come on here to try and quell misconceptions about his play or unrealistic expectations that people have but no one ever seems to listen.

Systematically, Torts system for him was horrible. You need to let a kid with that speed fly. Torts system inhibited that. Torts wanted him to play puck retriever, Kreider is far more skilled than that.

Now you're all wondering why he has underwhelmed so far this year? He's played in 3 preseason games. Key word here is pre-season. Before you all go jumping off ledges, although that may be too late judging on the reactions many of you had during the GDTs these last 2 nights, you need to take a step back and remind yourself that preseason is used by every coach in the league to see which players work together, which players excel in certain aspects of the game, and which don't. Especially during the beginning of pre-season, when there is a new coach implementing a new system, using pre-season as a test trial is very common.

As for Kreider's play in particular, many of you still need to understand the type of player he is before you start advocating for his demotion. He's not a player that's going to come in and WOW you every night. Very few players can do that consistently, even Nash's skillset it wearing thin on this board when he doesn't produce - flashy moves and all. Kreider is a gamer, he shows up for games that matter and not so much for ones that have little meaning. I don't know why that's the case, i'm not Freud, but for some inexplicable reason he always comes up big when it matters. In games that have little relevance he has the tendency to be invisible. If he has one fault it is that he's complacent during these games to give some sort of positive effort but not everything of himself.

In terms of playing style he needs a defensively responsible center, who is fast enough to keep up with him, and a winger who can not only grind out pucks but create space for himself. He wasn't on the first line here at BC... ever, but he was our best and most dangerous player. He played north-south, defenses constantly had to stay true against his line because he'd break out so often. He's not Jagr where he's going to beat you using his hands and hips. His dominance is derived on speed and strength.

Now look at Nash and Richards as linemates and what that may do to a player like Kreider. Richards is not a defensively responsible center. He's too slow to keep up with Kreider. He hesitates before he makes many decisions which tells me he doesn't have a good grasp of either of his linemates and the games they play. Nash on the other hand loves the puck to be on his stick. He wants players to adapt to him when he holds the puck. All big time players want that - when I get the puck, watch me and get open. Nash throws a lot of audibles when he's on the ice - which if you want me to dumb it down for you means he's going east-west far more often than north-south. He slows the game down, especially when he's already in the opponents zone.

Now you have 2 players, albeit your 2 highest paid players that give them a stigma of being our best (even though it is not necessarily true)... 1 who struggles to make decisions when they need to be made, slow, and defensively irresponsible and another who thrives off of controlling the puck, playing east-west, and is also defensively irresponsible....

And you expected Kreider, a player who plays north-south, thrives off of speed and impulsive decisions, and is ALSO defensively irresponsible to look good with 2 players like that?

Stepan is 1) impulsive 2) defensively responsible 3) has chemistry with Kreider 4) fast enough

Miller is 1) impulsive 2) defensively responsible 3) has chemistry with Kreider 4) fast 5) can grind it out on the boards

1) You all need to know the player you're watching. Understand who he will succeed with before you throw these line combinations out there and expect them to just work cause you say they will.
2) Lower your damn expectations. Kreider isn't going to come game in and out and make game changing plays. Like many skill players, he has the tendency to disappear during some games and show up for others. What makes him a welcome relief, in my opinion, is the fact that he'll come up in the games that matter the most... and that's what you should want. Gaborik showed up for games that didn't matter, scoring 5 goals against the maple leafs and islanders when they were bottom feeders... but where was he in the playoffs? No show. I'd rather have it where my big time players actually perform when there is a lot at stake... not the other way around.

:shakehead

KreiMeARiver*

NYR might not be a playoff team because of the mighty CBJ? :laugh:. Come on guy. If the Rangers can't make the playoffs what in the world makes you think CBJ will?

You serious, Clark? They are a MUCH improved team. They almost made the playoffs in a more powerful west, and have made improvements in the offseason. It would be a fool's errand to sleep on Columbus, this season. JD knows what he's doing.

Please. This bit is tired.

But it is easier to be negative about everything than to expect good things and having to deal with the possibility of disappointment. A pretty weak mindset really.

You wanna follow me on twitter, also?

It's not negative at all, it's called being a realist. I hope everyone gels, Kreider kills it, Richards rebounds, etc. Right now I'm just wondering where are goals/chemistry are going to come from. If it makes you happier to pretend to know my mind set, though, by all means...have at it.

I'll be waiting for that X-mas card, this year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
sure CBJ are improved but every team in the Metro minus NJD and CAR are still better than them. The playoff format is different now, they could be great but if the other teams are better, they still miss. Horton and Gaborik are going to have to score A LOT of goals to keep them afloat. I still think they overachieved last year, Bob will come back down to earth, and they wont win as many of the one-goal games they won last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad