Post-Game Talk: NYR @ EDM: RELAX, it's just the preseason

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
looked good, esp. on the PK. had a great shift on the PK right before the first Edmonton goal. I was impressed.

If he can PK, that's huge for him. Neither Asham nor Mashinter PK. I said from the beginning of the off-season, Haley + Dorsett. Both skate well and are buzz-saws but can actually play the game. Both will fight practically anyone.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The entire training camp is disjointed so the Garden can finish renovating MSG when it looks like there will be another MSG built in the next 10 years. They play 2 games 4 days after camp opens and then don't play for another six days only to play 4 games in 5 nights in 4 different cities. Richards has played 2 preseason games with the games being one week apart. Richards should play in both remaining games. The Rangers keep rolling guys out there who have no chance of making the team. Keep 8 D. Staal plays in one of the two. Another D will play just one of the 2. Either Falk or Allen. If AV wants to keep 8 D for practice purposes,then they need to another spare D. Johnson stinks. He belongs in the AHL.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If he can PK, that's huge for him. Neither Asham nor Mashinter PK. I said from the beginning of the off-season, Haley + Dorsett. Both skate well and are buzz-saws but can actually play the game. Both will fight practically anyone.

he almost fought Eager at the end of the game. Hits everyone, even on the PK, wish we'd give him a chance. Him and Dorsett are just worse than hemorrhoids together.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Kinda fell like this is the pulse of the board right now:

They need to trim this roster and put the starting lineup (or close to it) going forward. Its nice to have some set lines going for each squad, but with two games left they need to get 4 lines down and roll them as if it was the start of the regular season. They need to start building some cohesion out there, shift to shift.

I could understand though, with the preseason schedule the way it is (plus all of the travel recently and upcoming to start the season) you dont want all of your players playing 4 games in 5 nights. Thats a quick way to spin out early in the season. So its a bit of a catch 22 and i think that and emerging rookies is why AV has waited so long to cut down the roster.

Seeing some good things out there but also falling into some bad habits as well, especially in the defensive zone. I don't care what level of play you are at or if games are regular season, playoffs or exhibition, you compete and winning is important. You don't want losses to pile up and it become "ok" because you are still undecided about young players and still tinkering to find the right combinations. Losses are never ok. Especially for a team that has aspirations of a Stanley Cup run.

They need to get Stepan on the ice, like right now. Its already past the point of no return for him having a bad start to the season. He's behind 2 weeks and counting and you can't expect him to suit up and start playing like Perron once the season starts. Especially considering the rest of the team is still going to be adjusting to AV's new system (which i cant completely identify yet, given the poor execution).

They should probably find 3 set lines they can roll and get accustomed to so that once Stepan signs and Cally and Hags come back, they can just insert those three as a 3rd line to get them acclimated. Something like this:

Kreider Richards Nash
Pouliot Brassard Zuccarello
Hagelin Stepan Callahan
Boyle Moore Dorsett

I have no idea what their plans are for Powe and Asham so im leaving them out of the lineup. And again, their situation is somewhat predicated on what happens with Stepan. So his holdout is holding up a lot and is a distraction/detriment to the team.

In the meantime they could roll with something like this the last two games.

Kreider Richards Nash
Pouliot Brassard Zuccarello
Hrivik Lindberg Miller
Boyle Moore Dorsett

Fast, Kristo (Powe, Asham ?)

The defense is obviously set with pairings of Staal - DZ, McD - G-man, Stralman - Moore and 2 extras, Falk and someone else. (8). 3 Goalies.

As far as cutting down to 23 -

Honestly, i'd like to have Hrivik make the team. He's shown great speed, size and determination out there.

Tough decisions with Fast, Lindberg, Miller and Kristo. All can play and deserve a shot. The way Miller played last night throws a monkey wrench into everything. I kinda feel like you see if Kristo dominates in AHL and start him there. Lindberg can do a lot of things and I feel like since a rookie line wont get a ton of time, it makes sense carrying a versatile two-way guy on a team adjusting to a new system. So it comes down to Miller and Fast. I think if Miller is healthy you put him in. He's got more NHL experience.

Asham and Powe complicate things, good depth but they need to be sent through. Am I missing anyone? Haley? Mashinter? AHL.

Oh ****. Pyatt. god**** it.

Last edited:

KreiMeARiver*

I love JT Miller... he deserves a roster spot.

Staal obviously looks great...

Kristo, Lindberg, Hrivik, are all MEH

Kreider is scaring me... and it pains me to say that, considering I dropped $200 on a jersey 2 years ago during the playoffs.

Kristo, Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik have done nothing to show me they deserve to be in the NHL right now.

Miller has...

I'm also saying this now.... we could actually very easily (with the addition of DET and CLB) miss the playoffs, this year.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Pro's: Marc Staal, Connor Allen, Benouit Pouliot, JT Miller

Cons: Kreider - time to grab the bull by the horns. He's become the excuse machine. He's on the top line and 'Richards is bringing him down.' He plays with other players and 'no one can get him the puck.' At some point the guy has to make plays, and put up some points. Also, MZA, I always hear about how well he's playing, but he can't seem to score.

It's way to early to conclude on him yet, but if he can keep setting people alone in the slot like he's done with Brass and Staal the last couple of games, I don't think he needs to be scoring goals himself. He's a playmaker, not a goal scorer.

Thought most of the guys played well last night. If we pick the best performing players from both preseason groups I think the Rangers' are starting too look like a team that could be able to compete, even if Richards keeps sucking.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
he almost fought Eager at the end of the game. Hits everyone, even on the PK, wish we'd give him a chance. Him and Dorsett are just worse than hemorrhoids together.

That's what he needs to do. With Torts last year he was playing well but he was playing too tentative. Once he started to run around a bit to create some energy he was sent down immediately.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I love JT Miller... he deserves a roster spot.

Staal obviously looks great...

Kristo, Lindberg, Hrivik, are all MEH

Kreider is scaring me... and it pains me to say that, considering I dropped $200 on a jersey 2 years ago during the playoffs.

Kristo, Fast, Lindberg, Hrivik have done nothing to show me they deserve to be in the NHL right now.

Miller has...

Hrivik and Fast have been the best youngsters so far. I missed the game last night so I can't comment on Miller but Hrivik has shown great board work, good speed and a good hockey IQ making plays with the puck and controlling play down low. That's a good skill to have as a young player. I thin he should stay.

Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Fast has been good. He is more deserving of a spot than Kreider.
Kreider has all the physical tools but for some reason, doesn't look like he wants it. It's not a coaching issue, it's a Chris Kreider issue.

I like Miller, but I need to see him do it again. Consistency is always a question with young players. Hopefully AV has him in there the next 2 games.

In Disgust

Oct 25, 2010
Who was the dman who sped back during that 2 on 1 where Biron let that softy in? That dude was FAST.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
The entire training camp is disjointed so the Garden can finish renovating MSG when it looks like there will be another MSG built in the next 10 years. They play 2 games 4 days after camp opens and then don't play for another six days only to play 4 games in 5 nights in 4 different cities. Richards has played 2 preseason games with the games being one week apart. Richards should play in both remaining games. The Rangers keep rolling guys out there who have no chance of making the team. Keep 8 D. Staal plays in one of the two. Another D will play just one of the 2. Either Falk or Allen. If AV wants to keep 8 D for practice purposes,then they need to another spare D. Johnson stinks. He belongs in the AHL.

Dolan just spent almost a billion dollars gut renovating that C battery. This might be overly cynical of me, but I'm sure he will pull every string he can to keep from losing control when the "temporary" rights he was granted expire. They'll expire, he'll threaten to move the teams to East Squirrel ****sack, the city will cave, and the Garden will stay where it is... unless there is a better deal to be had somewhere else in Manhattan.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The entire training camp is disjointed so the Garden can finish renovating MSG when it looks like there will be another MSG built in the next 10 years.

There's not going to be another MSG in 10 years.

Seeing some good things out there but also falling into some bad habits as well, especially in the defensive zone

Doing a poor job covering the front of the net. One of the downsides to switching from the zone coverage, collapsing system. Guys are trying to be more aggressive and put pressure on the puck, but haven't really gotten it straightened out yet. Rotating coverage and when to attack the puck and when not to isn't ironed out.

One thing about Miller, he's quite good at hanging onto the puck or retrieving it if he loses it. That's something this team desperately needs and has lacked a bit since Dubinsky was traded.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Fast has been good. He is more deserving of a spot than Kreider.
Kreider has all the physical tools but for some reason, doesn't look like he wants it. It's not a coaching issue, it's a Chris Kreider issue.

I like Miller, but I need to see him do it again. Consistency is always a question with young players. Hopefully AV has him in there the next 2 games.

I like Miller too, but its one game. But he showed more to me in that one game than Kreider has the entire camp.

Agree on Kreider. Hes frustrating as hell to watch. I think we have to stop blindly penciling him into the lineup (especially the "1st" line) given his pedigree. I just did it two minutes ago.

He needs to start showing more. He's driving me crazy with his play. Every spot is going to be crucial on this squad with so many players vying for a spot. Hell, i've seen better gumption on the puck from Hrivik in the preseason.

If a team offered a nice return for Kreider, would you pull the trigger? I know its early, really early, but I think I would entertain it.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Time will tell. Definitely impressed with him though. Seems to have ice in his veins and is really smart about jumping into the play.

He also skates very well and isn't afraid of using his body positionally. I like him.

I also really liked Kantor who they signed. Solid energy forward upside out of him.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
If Richards doesn't find his game, this is what I'd like to see when all are healthy.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash | Scoring Line 1
Zuccarello - Brassard - Callahan | Scoring Line 2
Kreider - Miller - Pouliot | Energy Line / Scoring Line 3
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett/Asham/Pyatt | 4th Line

If Richards bounces back

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Richards - Callahan
Pouliot - Brassard - Zuccarello
Boyle - Moore - Dorsett/Asham/Pyatt

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Agreed with those who are saying Richards is a detriment to this lineup. Just doesn't fit and he's bringing his line down.

Miller looked great last night, but it could have been the adrenaline of getting into his first preseason game. Kreider seemed to really feed off that and he looked very good in the 2nd and 3rd period.

Allen continues to impress. Should definitely be the first call-up.

PP needs a shooter. Girardi, despite the goal, isn't that guy. Lots of movement which was great, but there needs to be some sort of finishing ability there.

Rough night for Marty. Surprised Talbot didn't see any ice time.

I think Hrivik is prime for a really good run in the AHL. Might stick out of camp, but doubt he hangs around once Cally and Hags return. Hrivik - Lindberg - Kristo should be a very good line in Hartford this season.

Kristo is fun to watch in the offensive zone, but his defensive coverage is garbage.

Still wish we had traded for Perron.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
He also skates very well and isn't afraid of using his body positionally. I like him.

I also really liked Kantor who they signed. Solid energy forward upside out of him.

I'd like to see a little bit more physicality out of him, but that's minor. He also has a great breakout pass.

Yeah I was surprised Kantor didn't see another game, but he looks like he could be a solid bottom-six guy down the line.

In Disgust

Oct 25, 2010
He has been VERY impressive. Maybe another undrafted gem?

It was just nice to see a Ranger's dmen able to cover ice like that. Love our d-corps, but speed is not their strong suit. Exciting to see Allen recover so well like that.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Agreed with those who are saying Richards is a detriment to this lineup. Just doesn't fit and he's bringing his line down.

Miller looked great last night, but it could have been the adrenaline of getting into his first preseason game. Kreider seemed to really feed off that and he looked very good in the 2nd and 3rd period.

Allen continues to impress. Should definitely be the first call-up.

PP needs a shooter. Girardi, despite the goal, isn't that guy. Lots of movement which was great, but there needs to be some sort of finishing ability there.

Rough night for Marty. Surprised Talbot didn't see any ice time.

I think Hrivik is prime for a really good run in the AHL. Might stick out of camp, but doubt he hangs around once Cally and Hags return. Hrivik - Lindberg - Kristo should be a very good line in Hartford this season.

Kristo is fun to watch in the offensive zone, but his defensive coverage is garbage.

Still wish we had traded for Perron.

I wish they had traded for Perron too.....

Agreed on Kristo's defensive game.

I'd like to see a little bit more physicality out of him, but that's minor. He also has a great breakout pass.

Yeah I was surprised Kantor didn't see another game, but he looks like he could be a solid bottom-six guy down the line.

Agreed on both counts. I think the physicality will come as he gets more comfortable but the kid can really skate.

In Disgust

Oct 25, 2010
Staal, McDonagh, Moore and Stralman all move very well. MDZ and Girardi aren't "slow" either though.

aye, they move well (McD's probably the best skater), but sheer speed like Allen's isn't something I've noticed. Maybe I've been away too long from watching a full game.

Happy to see Staal doing well, and from the highlights MZA's looking good too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad