Proposal: [NYR/EDM] Kreider/Georgiev/+ for 8th Overall

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why the heck would you trade one of the best young goalies ?

We have one of the best goalie prospects in the world in Shestyorkin. I don't think the Rangers will trade Georgiev until we're sure that Shesty is the real deal, but it's possible that one or the other will be dealt at some point. Henrik still has 2 years left, so unless he retires or asks for a trade, it's going to be tough to find enough games for everyone. They can do it for a year with Shesty getting a significant amount of AHL games, but I don't see that working for 2 years unless he just isn't ready.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
What would NY have to add to make this possible?

We could really use one of Dach/Turcotte/Krebs/Zegras.

Personally I think Georgiev+Kreider (assuming he can be resigned) alone is enough value for #8 and better fits the Oilers for their window and current needs than a #8 pick would.

Kreider has one year left on his contract.
Edmonton can't afford to give up a 3 year cost-controlled young star player for this

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Edmonton adds 2 dumb low IQ players to an already low IQ group and give the Rngers an opportunity to draft an impact player in the draft.

where do you sign

Oilers management.

regards,

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Edmonton adds 2 dumb low IQ players to an already low IQ group and give the Rngers an opportunity to draft an impact player in the draft.

where do you sign

Oilers management.

regards,
Who is the second dumb IQ player here? We already gave them Spooner...

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
It's a complicated situation, but from an Edmonton perspective, I would consider this. We need a scoring winger to play with Nuge, and Krieder, signed, would fit that bill. I like the thought of including Lucic instead of getting Georgie, and I think that the Rangers wouldn't want to move their goalie anyway. Not sure if that can play out in any reasonable scenario.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I don't like this trade for Edmonton. This is a pretty deep draft and I disagree with Edmonton having a now window.

They are on the clock now with full payments coming to McD, Drai, and Nuge. They still haven't even gotten to the playoffs. I don't think they have the 2-4 years to wait for 2019 draft picks to mature and join their trio in order to make some real noise, notably, before Nuge gets his 3rd contract after 2 more years. they need NHL players to fill out the rest of the roster.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
At this point, with the 2OA and Zib, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Strome, Names, Nieves, your name here....in the mix......I think any chance at a Hayes/NYR reunion is nixed. Add that 6.2(or whatever he would require as a UFA) per salary and it is no a brainer not to.

It slows the growth potential of our young and up and coming C's. I think we need to focus on fixing the D at this point.

I will be busy until wed late, but will preview that I hope to put out something large then.

Your statement is a reasonably premised for the status quo, but that does not consider further deals.

I see something sending
Lias + Howden +
for
7OA + St. Louis 2020 1st +

as one possibility.

I also see Strome moved or at RW, not C.
Names we have to move. He is not worth the mins.

At this point Zib stays, but he could be moved for a godfather offer.

So that's 4 guys, and Zib as outside possibility.
Subtract them.
I know you and I fiercely disagree about Kravtsov as a C.
Add him.

That's your room for KH.
Also, if he comes and only costs us acceptable $ and term, that means we can repurpose those guys for other areas of need, specifically RD.

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
That's actually a fine offer. I know Turcotte won't likely drop to 8th, so this would be a great option.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I will be busy until wed late, but will preview that I hope to put out something large then.

Your statement is a reasonably premised for the status quo, but that does not consider further deals.

I see something sending
Lias + Howden +
for

as one possibility.

I also see Strome moved or at RW, not C.
Names we have to move. He is not worth the mins.

At this point Zib stays, but he could be moved for a godfather offer.

So that's 4 guys, and Zib as outside possibility.
Subtract them.
I know you and I fiercely disagree about Kravtsov as a C.
Add him.

That's your room for KH.
Also, if he comes and only costs us acceptable $ and term, that means we can repurpose those guys for other areas of need, specifically RD.

I won't consider Kravtsov until he actually becomes a C or you present some actual facts as to why he could. I don't feel you have supported that notion. 6 games at the WJ's is not enough of a pedigree to expect a guy to become the NYR's 1OA.....even over whomever they take at 2. and especially Zib. Future trades? We can't count on stuff happening. I am reluctant to do that.

Anyone can be moved, but I just don't think both Andersson and Howden will be. Reality is that Zib, Kakko, Howden and Andersson are those guys next season. Perhaps Chytil stays on the wing although I would make him play C and have Kakko play his natural position of RW.

If somehow Andersson is traded, that means Gorto gave up on him and acknowledges that the return for Step was poor. I don't think that happens. I think Andersson becomes a hell of a checking C 3 or 4 for the foreseeable future. Would I move him for a 8 thru 12OA??......maybe.

I think Krav, Buch, Kakko if they do not slot him as a C, are your RW's for the next 5 or 6yrs at least.
That would leave Zib, Chytil, Howden and Andersson as C's. Hughes would skew that obviously.
I could see Strome moving to wing but I would rather sell high on him. Trade names as well. We agree on that at least. Can Nieves play wing? I'd like to have his size on the 4th line. Howden/Nieves/Lemeiux would not be a terrible defensive line.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
It's a complicated situation, but from an Edmonton perspective, I would consider this. We need a scoring winger to play with Nuge, and Krieder, signed, would fit that bill. I like the thought of including Lucic instead of getting Georgie, and I think that the Rangers wouldn't want to move their goalie anyway. Not sure if that can play out in any reasonable scenario.

The Rangers are not taking Lucic. There is no way they take that salary and term. It is counter productive to any rebuild.

Reactions: slg1963

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

I see something sending
Lias + Howden +
for

Buffalo fans are blocking you right about now. That's just poor value for them. We also shouldn't look to move both in the same trade. Ideally, you're trying to send 2 centers that might have a ceiling of the centering the same line.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
Rangers might do it to accellerate the rebuild since Rangers have a high profile russian goalie in the farm so deep this 2019 draft.
I personally like Lucic as a player and he fit that Quinn`s coaching style. :)
I agree Kreider fits Oilers much better compare to Rangers, because we need picks and we need to wait to our D prospects from 2018 draft to develop.

Your honesty is refreshing.

Reactions: Ori

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Buffalo fans are blocking you right about now. That's just poor value for them. We also shouldn't look to move both in the same trade. Ideally, you're trying to send 2 centers that might have a ceiling of the centering the same line.

thanks for the heads up
whoever is doing that, they forget there was ample support for Andersson to Sabes which was a joint effort with BUF fans participation.

As to duplication, there is generally a lack, not excess, of depth on Sabes. It does not need be said Eichel is 1C on Buf duration of his career.
As for 2C down, a lot depends on Mittlestadt and Reinhart; a case can be made for them as Ws.

Andy starts 3C, competes for 2C by end of season/next season.
Howden is more of a work in progress, but it is clear he's gonna make it. He doesn't have Kreider-Larkin elite speed, but he has a legit motor for NHL level play. Can see him as a W, esp while everything sorts itself out. Whether/when he pushes Andy/anyone else, remains to be seen.
And, of course, the ultimate factor here will be chemistry, which players mesh best with others to create the best lines.
That said, I see Andy starting compete at 3C, Howden likewise 4C, with upside they both advance.

If there is enough value for what is surrendered, Buffalo should do this, esp, if they say they want instant help.
A pick would not help now and if it is Pod, you are looking at 2 yrs min zero chance of availability right off the bat. And the Blues pick is further delayed compensation until next year, the 2020 draft.

Now I get older players could be a concern, but these are 2 guys each only 1 yr into elc, with rfa cost control beyond.

Don't think they'd have much to complain about.

Rangers should take/use the picks and shed excess.
We have guys like Gettinger who can be called up pushing others up a notch if we have emergency call up scenario.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That player isn't going to be a 3-year cost-controller young star player likely for another 3 years.

Totally true, but the Oilers aren't going to cough up the 8OA for a guy who is a pending free agent after next year. Some kind of reasonable extension has to be in place.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Chias gone unfortunately, EDM shouldn’t give the 8th unless Krieder is resigned....if that happens Krieds + Georgie is fair for the 8th IMO

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Totally true, but the Oilers aren't going to cough up the 8OA for a guy who is a pending free agent after next year. Some kind of reasonable extension has to be in place.

Rangers fans understand this, which is why most proposals have had them adding.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad