Proposal: [NYR/EDM] Kreider/Georgiev/+ for 8th Overall

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I've never seen a fan base put their "star" young goalie in every proposal when their other starter is about 60 years old.
See above posts about Shesterkin. It's called dealing from a position of strength. I've seen plenty of trades proposed by EDM fans to get a goalie. Dealing to fill a weakness.

Fairly cut and dry.

But you can draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: Kupo

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've never heard a Devils fan berate a young, quality goaltender like some of your fans have. Maybe its jealousy

I don’t think it’s berating to question his starter’s upside - lots of young goalies look fine in a backup role but struggle with a bigger workload. He’s a quality young goalie but you also have to remember that goalies aren’t normally all that valuable and andone can grab a decent backup every summer for nothing more than a contract.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I don’t think it’s berating to question his starter’s upside - lots of young goalies look fine in a backup role but struggle with a bigger workload. He’s a quality young goalie but you also have to remember that goalies aren’t normally all that valuable and andone can grab a decent backup every summer for nothing more than a contract.
I never said he was valuable (though I believe he is, more than some fans, not you specifically give credit).

I didn't propose a trade.

I take issue with shit talking Geo because he has NO defense in front of him and he played a bad game against EDM. Which as far as sample sizes go, is fairly in the nano range.

I watch the games and he's been nothing short of fantastic the second half.

That's really all it is. You can keep ur 8th overall. We'll keep Geo (and Hank) and transition smoothly to Shesty over the next 2 years and EDM can solve their goaltending some other way.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I never said he was valuable (though I believe he is, more than some fans, not you specifically give credit).

I didn't propose a trade.

I take issue with **** talking Geo because he has NO defense in front of him and he played a bad game against EDM. Which as far as sample sizes go, is fairly in the nano range.

I watch the games and he's been nothing short of fantastic the second half.

That's really all it is. You can keep ur 8th overall. We'll keep Geo (and Hank) and transition smoothly to Shesty over the next 2 years and EDM can solve their goaltending some other way.

And this is fine, but you have to remember we have help of our own coming. Shane Starrett was named to the AHL All Rookie team and the 2nd All-Star team. Stuart Skinner outduelled Carter Hart in the playoffs in their last year of junior, Dylan Wells has been good in his first pro year, we used a 2nd on Olivier Rodrigue and traded a 5th for a college kid named Hayden Hawkey who’s been pretty good in his own right and I hope we sign. We really don’t need more prospect goalies. We’ve had this argument with Habs fans trying to convince us Primeau is worth the moon too .

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
And this is fine, but you have to remember we have help of our own coming. Shane Starrett was named to the AHL All Rookie team and the 2nd All-Star team. Stuart Skinner outduelled Carter Hart in the playoffs in their last year of junior, Dylan Wells has been good in his first pro year, we used a 2nd on Olivier Rodrigue and traded a 5th for a college kid named Hayden Hawkey who’s been pretty good in his own right and I hope we sign. We really don’t need more prospect goalies. We’ve had this argument with Habs fans trying to convince us Primeau is worth the moon too .
Also fine. I'm not trying to convince you or any other person that you NEED Geo. But reading fans gripe about how bad he is, is laughable. I take issue with that.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Also fine. I'm not trying to convince you or any other person that you NEED Geo. But reading fans gripe about how bad he is, is laughable. I take issue with that.

That’s fair. He’s a good young goalie with potential. I just don’t see him as particularly valuable to Edmonton.

Reactions: Riche16

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Make no mistake he was THE starter for the NYR for the second half. Over Hank.

That may not be completely impressive to many since we were a bottom 6 team. However, we are rebuilding... we have nearly zero defense and if we had been starting Hank, bottom 6 would've probably been bottom 3.

Geo was the reason we finished 6 along with Zbad's emergence, but that's another discussion.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don`t see Kevin Hayes get signed for Rangers over the summer @bernmeister - we have other options and we need to start playing our centers in proper positions in Lias & Chytil, and both Nam & Strome can do faceoffs to help out.

We should def move Namest.

Strome is excess unless he is on W, and I see him being moved as well.

Chytil stays
Lias goes to Buf in a package for 7OA

but again, april 15, super busy, will have extended prop in mid wk

Reactions: Ori

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Georgiev is nothing more than a throw in for this kind of deal. He is not tipping the scales for anyone moving a top 10 pick.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
We should def move Namest.

Strome is excess unless he is on W, and I see him being moved as well.

Chytil stays
Lias goes to Buf in a package for 7OA

but again, april 15, super busy, will have extended prop in mid wk

It could happen.
I actually like Lias as a player, but I don`t envy him his current situation. I mention it about a year ago New York Rangers is one of hardest teams in NHL for young prospect - so much pressure in media to perform at very early stages.

Last edited:

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Everyone is on the block for the right price, but that does not mean in a vacuum we are looking to move Kreider.
K is very smart and understands what's going on.
He and Hayes know MSG is billion dollar biz.
Play ball now, help us out a bit, build up chits of goodwill.
When you hang up your skates, then you cash in.

So instead of 7/+ m term max yrs each
my prediction is

Hayes returns 5 yrs 6.2 per
Kreider extended 4 yrs. 6.5 per
no NMCs, generous NTCs

I know much of the board disagrees, but Zib, with his contract, etc., is the guy we should CONSIDER to sell high, IF there was truly enough high offer, which there should be.

At this point, with the 2OA and Zib, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Strome, Names, Nieves, your name here....in the mix......I think any chance at a Hayes/NYR reunion is nixed. Add that 6.2(or whatever he would require as a UFA) per salary and it is no a brainer not to.

It slows the growth potential of our young and up and coming C's. I think we need to focus on fixing the D at this point.

Last edited:

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I've never seen a fan base put their "star" young goalie in every proposal when their other starter is about 60 years old.
Well, you see, it's like a puzzle. You have 2 open spots and 3 pieces left. Now, one of those pieces has a chain around the entire puzzle, so you cant't move it, and the other 2 pieces are competing for that final spot. At the end of the day, you lose a piece.

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
What would NY have to add to make this possible?

We could really use one of Dach/Turcotte/Krebs/Zegras.

Personally I think Georgiev+Kreider (assuming he can be resigned) alone is enough value for #8 and better fits the Oilers for their window and current needs than a #8 pick would.

When was the last time a player with 1 year in his contract got a top ten pick knowing it was a top ten pick

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
When was the last time a player with 1 year in his contract got a top ten pick knowing it was a top ten pick

Schneider had 2 years left and was traded for 9th overall. Goalies traditionally have less value than skaters though.

I doubt any team will trade a top 10 pick for Kreider without some sort of agreement to extend, but I don't think it's impossible. Edmonton and Buffalo are probably the only two that might as they both need to make the playoffs sooner rather than later. Whoever they get at 7/8 isn't going to have an impact for several years, most likely. The rest of the teams in the top 10 are either still in rebuild mode, or have older, cap strapped teams that need good ELC players more than they need someone like Kreider.

I think if Kreider gets traded, it's more likely to return a mid-round pick. There are several teams in that area who might be willing to trade their pick for more immediate help.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I'm sure the Oilers are get itching to spend their #8 pick on another NYR back-up goalie and a pending UFA.

:facepalm:

Reactions: Chainshot

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Schneider had 2 years left and was traded for 9th overall. Goalies traditionally have less value than skaters though.

I doubt any team will trade a top 10 pick for Kreider without some sort of agreement to extend, but I don't think it's impossible. Edmonton and Buffalo are probably the only two that might as they both need to make the playoffs sooner rather than later. Whoever they get at 7/8 isn't going to have an impact for several years, most likely. The rest of the teams in the top 10 are either still in rebuild mode, or have older, cap strapped teams that need good ELC players more than they need someone like Kreider.

I think if Kreider gets traded, it's more likely to return a mid-round pick. There are several teams in that area who might be willing to trade their pick for more immediate help.
I

Again one year left and no blue chip goalies do not have less value than forwards.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway

Yes I agree, Gorton should call Buffalo; Eichel was visible frustrated in that last end of season interview and a goal scorer like Chris Kreider can be the push Buffalo need to compete in the playoffs next season who are going to the Worlds next month.

Kreider +Georgiev for Buffalo 2019 1st and whatever they need; maybe Vesey for their top 9?
Buffalo goalie is not good enough.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
i think it might not be enough but we need to move lucic and i think that 8th might be involved

How about

Edmonton
Kreider (signed)
Georgiev
750k AAV retained lucic contract 4 years

New york
8th overall
$2.25 million AAV retained Lucic contract 4 years

3rd team
Milan Lucic $3.0 million AAV 4 years
(Agrees to waive NMC for expansion draft)
Assets from NYR and Oilers

That might be to much for NYR to give up but we cant mess a trade up alot of pressure in edmonton

That's some Bernmeister sh*t right there

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Yes I agree, Gorton should call Buffalo; Eichel was visible frustrated in that last end of season interview and a goal scorer like Chris Kreider can be the push Buffalo need to compete in the playoffs next season who are going to the Worlds next month.

Kreider +Georgiev for Buffalo 2019 1st and whatever they need; maybe Vesey for their top 9?
Buffalo goalie is not good enough.

Buffalo has the 7th pick, that's even worse for them than it is for the Oilers. Kreider is a UFA, if we wanted a potential top 10 pick, we should have already moved him to Buffalo when they were looking like a potential playoff team, same with the Oiler's when the division was still wide open for them. Georgiev is too unproven for any real value. There's not a lot of teams that invest in a backup, and there's not a lot of teams needing a starting goalie where a big investment will be put into one unproven. Don't get me wrong, he's got potential and was impressive this season, but unproven goalies don't carry more than a 2nd round pick value.

Grubauer had a high asking price, but that came with multiple seasons of good play. Lets say Kreiders value is #15. I personally wouldn't trade the 7th for a 15 + 2nd round pick, when you're a team like the Oiler's or Buffalo.

Ori

Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Add Tampa conditional pick in 2019 and they are probably close to Buffalo 2019 7th in value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad