Proposal: NYR/DET

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
DeAngelo
For Glendening and Filpula

money works . 2 UFAs for 1 yr left on Tony

not sure Yzerman wants to take a shot on him ....again ...but he would help their D s depth and can pair w Staal again

NYR gets cap space but it’s a cheap buyout for Detroit if they don’t like what they see

Glendening also can win faceoffs and NYR needs that

It's not awful, but I want to steer clear of TDA. Don't think he's worth the baggage.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
pass from NY too, does nothing to support NYR rebuild,

not contending this year, dont need two older F's clogging the roster
(and those guys can also bring DRW back decent retrun from contenders)

NYR under zero presure to move Tony D
they will wait for a return they value

not saying they get huge return, but this deal is almost a negative return,
no offense intended to the players,

there is just virtually no benefit to NYR to add those guys, instead of possible a comparable aged/CapHit player, or B/B+ prospect(s)

Detroit has little motivation to trade for him. They're going to be bad this year with TDA or without him. They could probably deal Glendening for a similar return to what they'd get for TDA if he didn't work out here.

TDA should bring in a negative return currently.. He's a negatively valued asset at the moment. If he wasn't, the Rangers wouldn't basically just be sitting on his contract.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
DeAngelo
For Glendening and Filpula

money works . 2 UFAs for 1 yr left on Tony

not sure Yzerman wants to take a shot on him ....again ...but he would help their D s depth and can pair w Staal again

NYR gets cap space but it’s a cheap buyout for Detroit if they don’t like what they see

Glendening also can win faceoffs and NYR needs that

no way from Rangers. We can maybe do Staal + 2nd rounder for ADA

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
so it's almost as if that 5+mil for nothing means nothing, to no one?
its a sunk cost. you dont deny it, but its done, it's not currently a problem,
and the smart move is to not let addressing it create a new problem

Last edited:
Reactions: bernmeister

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
It's not awful, but I want to steer clear of TDA. Don't think he's worth the baggage.

I can respect this view I just think the Wings should take a shot. He’s a talented player and it’s not a big risk giving him a shot this year

he does well then keep him
He is a pain you but him our cheap

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I can respect this view I just think the Wings should take a shot. He’s a talented player and it’s not a big risk giving him a shot this year

he does well then keep him
He is a pain you but him our cheap

And I don't think they should. They're not a good team and they don't have strong leadership. Larkin is brand new to this captain thing. If they had a locker room full of vets like they did in the 2000s? Sure, bring in the talented TDA. But now? He'd bork the thing.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
I guess people here believes only a bunch of jerks will have anything to do with Tony? Carolina it is then. They sign every defense men anyway.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I guess people here believes only a bunch of jerks will have anything to do with Tony? Carolina it is then. They sign every defense men anyway.
I was just going to write this. Watch him go to Carolina or Nashville and start tearing it up and he becomes a model citizen lol

Reactions: ETTER DE

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
can't believe posters still write that passing through waivers means no one will trade for that player
in hard-Cap/flat-Cap world, multiple useful guys pass through waivers unclaimed every week

and NYR have NO desperation here, NO need to swap him for a bad contract, no incentive to take actions which hurt the club,
they can ride out the 'sunk cost' of this season and buy-out for chump-change, if no appreciated offer comes along

posters like to throw around nasty names and overheated opinions, and yes Tony D acted like an ass on occasion

but this is a young talented RHD, motivated because his career is at stake, and who has shown he can be a signifigant contributor
it is as likely as not some GM will take a shot at him jump-starting or adding to his possible contender

yes it may be mutual "change of scenery' trade, or unproven prospct or picks,
but NYR under no pressure to make a damaging deal

maybe more like the Lias to LA deal, one-time recent 7th overall returned 60th overall which yielded a hit-or-miss power- forward pick
underwhelming return, but with upside, not further pain

Just stop

He has no value and NY is stuck with him

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
I was just going to write this. Watch him go to Carolina or Nashville and start tearing it up and he becomes a model citizen lol
Nashville is a good call. They need to changes things, maybe? But maybe Seattle? A fresh start on a new team? They have to pick someone from the Rangers roster. Not much else to choose from. Makes more sense for them than to pick a 4 th liner. Is he still eligible?

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

there is just virtually no benefit to NYR to add those guys, instead of possible a comparable aged/CapHit player, or B/B+ prospect(s)
You could probably get at least a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for Glendening at the deadline.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
DeAngelo cleared waivers nobody gives any asset for him. Justified or not his reputation destroyed his value.

No one was taking him on waivers because of the cap hit. If the Rangers were willing to retain, they would have found a taker in a trade already.

I posted this in another thread, sums it up perfectly.

Most of us Ranger fans know he’s a problem in the locker room. The fact of the matter is that for a pennies on the dollar type of return where a bad contract is going back or if he eventually gets bought out after the season ends, someone will take a chance on him. He’s a major risk right now at his current AAV, but someone will absolutely take a chance on him at a fraction of the AAV he’s making, as that would be a low risk, high reward type of signing.

So whether any fans on here or social media like it or not, he’s eventually going to get another chance. Teams will take chances on talent, even with problem children like him. It happens across all sports for a variety of reasons with the bottom line being a better chance at winning by adding a talent.

abbbaron

May 6, 2015
its a sunk cost. you dont deny it, but its done, it's not currently a problem,
and the smart move is to not let addressing it create a new problem
a sunk cost is a cost that has already been incurred, in this case that'd be the ~1mil for 6 high impact performances (1pt, -6) that DeAngelo provided NYR with this season
the salary owed/projected is outstanding (i.e. not 'sunk'), it can be avoided if the price is right

Halla

Jan 28, 2016

LOL

you get rid of DeAngelo without giving up a pick, and you dont have to buy him out (with a dead cap hit for 2 years)

rangers take this and run. detroit laughs and hangs up. Denagelo is done in the NHL

Reactions: TS Quint

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I wouldn't want him due to reputation.
Yzerman already owned his rights in TB and got rid of the player then.

I think he saw this coming. I am very very confident Yzerman would never add someone with this much chemistry / publicity downside.

Also considering how bad our team is.... we were your best hope for a taker for this player too.

So I think he gets bought out... and then I don't think anyone signs him again... ever.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'll be back to visit this thread when DeAngelo ends up on another team in the NHL. Woke fans will scream and cry until TD starts putting the puck into the net, then will staunchly defend TD for getting a raw deal.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I’d love that. But this isn’t NHL 21: attitude issues can be dealbreakers.
Attitude problems can be a very qualitative exercise for a desperate GM sore.y needing a 50+ pt PPQB RD. He does his mea culpas, which have started, and the news moves to page 17. It’s still fresh, as the political saying goes he wasn’t caught with a dead girl or live boy.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
You do understand ADA stinks like a 25 bag of manure on the ice this season and a 2500 lb bag of manure in the locker room? lol

Its not about the talent back. Its about saving 1.6m in cap next season.
The savings does nothing for NYR next year as we can project being 10 mil under the cap. The 833,333 yer after does sting though. Do the projection and inform yourself.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->