Proposal: NYR/Col and NYR/Van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I'm not the GM, but I don't think you're getting anywhere close to the 1st for a team doubtful to make the playoffs. You beat Ottawa. This would be like hitting the powerball twice.

Staal is overpaid and can't play hockey anymore, yet, there is 3 years remaining on his deal. NYR will either buyout or offer another team with cap space a sizable incentive to take this player.

So unless a 1st or prospect Anderrson or Hajek, you're stuck with Staal.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
2fbd653ecba0d0f3caab8a9963589a61.jpg

"Your defense sucks. LOL! You better take Staal or to heck with ya."

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Col gets Staal retained at 2.85
NYR get a 3rd round pick 2019

Staal had a good year last season. I think Colorado can be dangerous with a little more defense. Staal would have to agree to a deal unless the Av's are not on his limited no trade clause list. He's well worth a 3rd rounder for the Av's. Rangers can free up a spot for Hajek

Van gets Namestnikov and DeAngelo
NYR gets a second rounder in 2019

There is no room for DeAngelo in NY. Pionk is better. Shattenkirk isn't going anywhere and they just spent a first rounder on a right handed d-man. Namestnikov is a good role guy but NY has plenty of them.

too little return for Namestnikov and ADA

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Col gets Staal retained at 2.85
NYR get a 3rd round pick 2019

Staal had a good year last season. I think Colorado can be dangerous with a little more defense. Staal would have to agree to a deal unless the Av's are not on his limited no trade clause list. He's well worth a 3rd rounder for the Av's. Rangers can free up a spot for Hajek

Van gets Namestnikov and DeAngelo
NYR gets a second rounder in 2019

There is no room for DeAngelo in NY. Pionk is better. Shattenkirk isn't going anywhere and they just spent a first rounder on a right handed d-man. Namestnikov is a good role guy but NY has plenty of them.
No thanks from the Canucks. We don’t have much use for either of those players and should not be trading draft picks right now.

Reactions: mstad101

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Staal is overpaid and can't play hockey anymore, yet, there is 3 years remaining on his deal. NYR will either buyout or offer another team with cap space a sizable incentive to take this player.

So unless a 1st or prospect Anderrson or Hajek, you're stuck with Staal.
It wasn't my proposal. Now that we aren't competing for a cup and are in a rebuild, he's not as much of an anchor as he was. No rush to get rid of him and certainly not at the cost of a first...
So keeping him is a far better option than this nonsense.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The proposal (and more so things said about it) warrants drastic action and excessive judgement by sheer stupidity. It's a poor reflection on other Rangers fans.

I respectfully disagree.
You or I will say things, be they brilliant or stupid, and people will disagree.
Nobody suddenly says wow, member X posted Y, now let's {arbitrarily} (take a capricious posture and) diss all Ranger fans.

Sure, if the guy [or anyone else] makes a statement like,
"and on behalf of all Ranger fans..."
then and in that event, he clearly asked for it going beyond the right to his own opinion, so by all means who am I to step in and try to stop the crucifixion?
But clearly, the OP did not go there.

The OP seems to press his arguments on our board, sometimes to the consternation of several, including usually a core chorus of dissenters. I do not remember all language of every post as I have more important things to attend to, but while I get the feeling it is probably fair to say he is as snarky on occasion as anyone else, I don't believe he is nearly always the aggressor. That is, he gives as good as he gets. I am guilty of that as well, justified or not, so I will only remind there is a famous phrase about casting the first stone.

The quality of posts should not be a determining factor in the issuing of punishment such as sanction and unilateral ostracism. That only works against freedom of speech and encourages a herd mentality, right or wrong on the merits of the proposed argument.
If any of us feels strongly, rebuke is in order, based on merit as argued.
If any of us wants to go further, there is the individual option if conscience dictates to ignore.
But a call to not merely shun but fully excommunicate is not acceptable, especially without good reason.

You have a right to your opinion MH, as we all do.
But you are better than this. You are quite professorial and erudite at times.

Turn away, if you will, from the slippery slope leading to the dark side.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I'm not sure Staal has any value but why would Col. want him if they waived Orpik?
The Names/ADA for a second is terrible for NY. I'm sure Names can muster up a 40pt season and get a 2nd+ on his own, maybe more for higher production. Getting rid of ADA now means the Stepan trade was a failure for the most part for Gorton. I don't think ADA is going to be terrible on the 3rd pair. Rangers easily decline.

Reactions: MacBradley

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
Yes, I've looked at your defense. It's comical. Barrie has no clue how to play defense. Nemeth couldn't make the Stars who have no defenseman to begin with. Girard is a midget. He can't play. Defensively you were middle of the pack in GA and most of that was due to the fact you have some really good, puck possession forwards. When you look at the talent you have on defense, it's non existent and that can't be argued.

Is this how you lash out on people pointing his misinformed you are?

Now that’s comical

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
No thanks from the Canucks. We don’t have much use for either of those players and should not be trading draft picks right now.
Yup! Don’t see why the Canucks would get involved in this deal. We bleed draft picks already, and we are supposed to be 3 years deep in our rebuild and I think we’ve acquired 1 extra draft pick that’s been used on a player we still have.
Whereas on the other hand, the Canucks also have like 47 NHL contracts and like 30 of them are forwards! We are loaded with tweeners and don’t need or even want anymore at this point. We’d rather start trimming the fat that is the tweener selection this team has. So no a 2nd for more tweeners doesn’t sound like a good deal for Vancouver.

bbskiff

Jul 1, 2014
Ontario
Didn't realize Staal was still playing? LHD the AVs already have Nemeth, Barbeiro and Cole fighting for the 4th line. At least, 1 of these player must cca

Terrible deal with 3 years @ $5.7M per remaining. Not only is his contract among the worst in the league, being 31 years old, little chance of any improvement. He was rumoured to be a buyout candidate. There is no chance any team will take this deal unless NYR adds.

Staal (50% retention) @ 3 years
2019 - 1st

for

2019 - 7th
Barberio

No chance AVs accept unless a significant return with the inclusion of their 1st.

Ian Cole is 29yrs. Still got some gas in the tank.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I respectfully disagree.
You or I will say things, be they brilliant or stupid, and people will disagree.
Nobody suddenly says wow, member X posted Y, now let's {arbitrarily} (take a capricious posture and) diss all Ranger fans.

Sure, if the guy [or anyone else] makes a statement like,
"and on behalf of all Ranger fans..."
then and in that event, he clearly asked for it going beyond the right to his own opinion, so by all means who am I to step in and try to stop the crucifixion?
But clearly, the OP did not go there.

The OP seems to press his arguments on our board, sometimes to the consternation of several, including usually a core chorus of dissenters. I do not remember all language of every post as I have more important things to attend to, but while I get the feeling it is probably fair to say he is as snarky on occasion as anyone else, I don't believe he is nearly always the aggressor. That is, he gives as good as he gets. I am guilty of that as well, justified or not, so I will only remind there is a famous phrase about casting the first stone.

The quality of posts should not be a determining factor in the issuing of punishment such as sanction and unilateral ostracism. That only works against freedom of speech and encourages a herd mentality, right or wrong on the merits of the proposed argument.
If any of us feels strongly, rebuke is in order, based on merit as argued.
If any of us wants to go further, there is the individual option if conscience dictates to ignore.
But a call to not merely shun but fully excommunicate is not acceptable, especially without good reason.

You have a right to your opinion MH, as we all do.
But you are better than this. You are quite professorial and erudite at times.

Turn away, if you will, from the slippery slope leading to the dark side.

This reads like an article from The Players' Tribune in a world where writing bad trade proposals is a professional sport.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
No on both. Colorado doesn't need Staal and Vancouver doesn't need Deangelo with a good Defensive prospect on the rise like Hughes and Woo. I do believe Staal will be traded or bought out but not until the off-season and the Rangers should keep Deangelo in their system in case of injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->