Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
To :hawks
W Mats Zuccarello
C Mika Zibanejad

To :rangers
LW Brandon Saad
C Nick Schmaltz

Hawks move on from Saad and get vet in Zucc who is pending UFA. Zibanejad is a #2C signed to affordable rate to put on 2nd line with Kane going forward

Rangers take on Saad during rebuild as reclamation project/cap dump but at age 25 he is good fit for them going forward in rebuild if he can turn his game around but get a 22 yr old C in Schmaltz who should fit rebuild much better then Zibanejad going forward

Thoughts?

I think Zibanejad would be better fit with Kane then Schmaltz going forward and Zucc would help our top 6 this year which is thin on wing (Made worse by Saad's struggles)

If Cap is issue we can probably throw in picks/prospects/cap retentions to make things work

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Schmaltz and Zibanejad are about equal talents. Zibanejad is 3 years older, but is under contract for 3 more years at a reasonable rate, while Nick is due up this summer. All of that together, its a wash. Besides that, with Andersson, Chytl, and Howden, center is not our biggest need moving forward. And unlike Schmaltz, Zibanejad hasn't had the benefit of riding on a line with Patrick Kane to pad his numbers.

So that come down to Zuccarello, who will likely be the biggest Trade Deadline asset this spring and likely commands a 1st + prospects, for Saad, who is now 26 and is a big cap dump.

On that second statement alone, this is a hard pass from the Rangers.

Reactions: slg1963

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
I'd prefer to keep Schmaltz.

I believe his ceiling is higher than Zibanejad and he already has chemistry with Kane.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Offer doesn't help the Rangers. I'd rather keep Zibby and move Zucc for futures.

Pretty much this, out of the 4 best established players on the rangers (Zucc, Kreider Hayes and Zib), I'd move two and keep two, preferably for 1st rounders this year if we can get them

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NYR don't want Saad"s contract either

Schmaltz for Zib is at best a lateral move ... Yeah Nick is a bit younger

Chi would have to sweeten with good picks or young young talent to convince NYR

So it likely doesn't hapoen

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Chicago adds a lot. Acting like Saad isn't a negative assest at this point is a joke. Also acting like Nick Schmaltz covers Zib and Zuc and covers the gap for a negative asset is laughable. Yeah he is younger then Zib and probably going to be better eventually so i could them in a 1 for 1 trade making sense with the rangers doing a small add. Zuc is far from a small add and will realistically have at least 10 teams making offers for him at the deadline better then this deal.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I could see the Rangers taking a shot at Saad for lesser players not Zib/Zucc........no chance Zib is being moved in this deal. I also see Zucc bringing back a good return at the deadline and then re signing in NY next summer.
Rangers easily pass.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would do it, but Hawks have to add for NYR to agree. Add on Krys and it's probably more balanced.

Reactions: migi

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I mean.. this proposal is terrible for the Rangers... but there were some reclamation projects:

• Brassard
  • Stralman
  • Grabner
  • Holden
  • Raanta

Wait, how was raanta a reclamation project?

He had excellent stats with Chicago. Probable was Crawford the undisputed no.1 and raanta lost a dogfight battle between two top tier backups his last year in Chicago where Darling helped them win a cup.

Chicago just had to trade him instead of losing him for nothing through waivers. It was hardly that they gave up on him or that he struggled. Chicago would 100% not have traded raanta if they knew he could clear waivers, which he wouldn't have

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Schmaltz and Zibanejad are about equal talents. Zibanejad is 3 years older, but is under contract for 3 more years at a reasonable rate, while Nick is due up this summer. All of that together, its a wash. Besides that, with Andersson, Chytl, and Howden, center is not our biggest need moving forward. And unlike Schmaltz, Zibanejad hasn't had the benefit of riding on a line with Patrick Kane to pad his numbers.

So that come down to Zuccarello, who will likely be the biggest Trade Deadline asset this spring and likely commands a 1st + prospects, for Saad, who is now 26 and is a big cap dump.

On that second statement alone, this is a hard pass from the Rangers.

That's funy. Uhhhh. No they aren't. If Schmaltz wasn't playing with who is playing with, he would do nothing compared to Zibanejad.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Hawks would do it. Or at least should do it. I would do it, most Hawks fans wont.

NYR wont.

Reactions: WesMcCauley

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
To :hawks
W Mats Zuccarello
C Mika Zibanejad

To :rangers
LW Brandon Saad
C Nick Schmaltz

Hawks move on from Saad and get vet in Zucc who is pending UFA. Zibanejad is a #2C signed to affordable rate to put on 2nd line with Kane going forward

Rangers take on Saad during rebuild as reclamation project/cap dump but at age 25 he is good fit for them going forward in rebuild if he can turn his game around but get a 22 yr old C in Schmaltz who should fit rebuild much better then Zibanejad going forward

Thoughts?

I think Zibanejad would be better fit with Kane then Schmaltz going forward and Zucc would help our top 6 this year which is thin on wing (Made worse by Saad's struggles)

If Cap is issue we can probably throw in picks/prospects/cap retentions to make things work

Wouldnt move Mika for both of those guys

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Wasn't it only 4 months ago that the Rangers gm said zibs was the number one centre that they were rebuilding around? Seems like it would take much more than this to get him.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
No thanks. Would rather hold on to schmaltz who already looks to be the better player with more upside over Zibenejad. Schmaltz skates like the wind and is a terrific backchecker on top of his already high end vision and playmaking ability

Not to mention Zibenjad seems to get hurt often now.

While Saad is sucking right now, zuccarello doesn't interest me as a 31 year old pending FA looking for a raise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad