Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Really like this trade. Joey Keane wasn't getting any more value than that without proving hes ready for the NHL. Joey Keane also wasn't going to get a chance to prove he is ready for the NHL with the way the team is currently setup.

We got a good prospect, who fits a big organizational need, that will likely be getting a cup of coffee after the trade deadline and pushing for a full time spot next season.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Not in love with it. I was high on Keane and I'm not convinced there's much to Gauthier's game other than being big.

He is big with a hard shot. That's it. A stark contrast to the logic that had us take Andersson 7th overall (though that might be a good thing actually. Whatever organizational philosophy led to that pick needs to be lit on fire)

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Honestly dont think this will make much a difference either way. I liked Keane but it was unlikely he would be cracking the right side of the D anytime soon. Gauthier may have a bottom role on this team, or not. Well see but I dont think its something to get crazy about either way.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Gauthier jumped up in Pronman's latest mid-season prospects rankings. Keane didnt make the list.

56. Julien Gauthier, RW, Carolina (Charlotte-AHL)
Oct. 15, 1997 | 6-foot-4 | 225 pounds
Drafted: 21st-overall (2016)

Previous ranking: Not Ranked
Skating: 55
Puck Skills: 60
Physical Game: 65
Hockey Sense: 55

There’s a part of me that was reluctant to put Gauthier on this list. He’s a third-year pro who has not dominated the AHL. He does have 17 goals in 29 games this season, though, and has a toolkit that screams NHL player. You don’t see many 6-foot-4 forwards who can skate, have legit skill and can score goals like Gauthier does. He may not be the smartest player ever, but he’s shown this season he can make plays and score in hard areas, has earned some NHL games and ticks off most of the boxes you want in a prospect.

There was a time you were seeing the same things said about Kreider. I remember when people were questioning his hockey IQ, then it became the questioning of his motor or intensity.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is a pretty fair trade for both sides. I've followed Keane since his draft year in Barrie and have been one of his bigger proponents on here even when he was getting 3rd pairing minutes in London. Yes, he's having a really good first year in Hartford, but we also have a laughable amount of good RHD in our system, so it only made sense to deal from a position of strength.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Gauthier has a solid shot to be a very good bottom-6 forward for us. Given the state of that part of our lineup the last five years or so, you'd think there'd be more appreciation for what an addition like that can do, especially if the player is young and cost controlled. Then there's the fact that he might even be a factor for the pp or top half of the lineup...

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Excellent asset management by Gorton. Keane was never going to get a fair shake here with Fox, ADA, and Trouba ahead of him in the NHL and Lundkvist on the way. Our system is STACKED at RD. He's a good prospect, but wasn't going to make it in NY I don't think.

Gauthier is a need for us, potential bottom 6 forward and young. Really like this for the Rangers.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So I guess I'll just post this here:

Kreider
D+1 season
23 points in 38 games in the NCAA

D+2 season
24 points in 32 games in the NCAA

D+3 season
45 points in 44 games in the NCAA
7 points in 18 playoff games in NHL

D+4 season
23 (12g) points in 48 games in the AHL
3 points in 23 games in the NHL

Gauthier
D+1 season
51 points in 43 games played in the QMJHL
17 points in 16 playoff games in QMJHL

D+2 season
25 points (16g) in 65 games in the AHL
2 points in 8 playoff games in AHL

D+3 season
41 points (27g) in 75 games in the AHL
8 points in 17 playoff games the AHL

D+4 season
37 points (27g) in 44 games played in the AHL

Players with size often take a bit longer to develop. He's proven to be improving consistently and he knows how to score in a professional league. Why are people down on him?

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
This is a solid trade!!

Gauthier has been a key contributor for Charlotte for years and Carolina's forward depth is crazy for him to be given a chance. Sucks they let Keane go so quickly, but they sold high on him. Gauthier can play right now on the bottom 6 with the potential to still carve out a middle 6 possession/scorer game. I really would like to see him on a line with Chytil and Kakko. That would be nuts if it connects!!

Keane might have the better potential, but he was never really going to play long term with NYR's RD depth. This to me signifies that DeAngelo is sticking around!!

Oh, and the only comparison with Gauthier and Kreider is that they are both MASSIVE gym junkies!!

Good move by Gorton!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad