Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
In 6 games against the Pack this year this kid scored 6 goals and 3 assists. He terrorized them

I saw the pack vs. the checkers this year here in CLT. Two players on the ice stood out to me: Vitali for the pack, and Gautier for the checkers. They just seemed to both 'move' like NHLers, if that makes sense.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Gauthier actually reminds me of Kreider. Great straight ahead speed, some power to his game but not exactly a hitting machine. He has good hands and will score goals due to his speed and shot. He is not a playmaker, like Kreider isn't, but is solid on the boards and can cycle.

If he becomes Kreider 2.0 I'll take it!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Gauthier actually reminds me of Kreider. Great straight ahead speed, some power to his game but not exactly a hitting machine. He has good hands and will score goals due to his speed and shot. He is not a playmaker, like Kreider isn't, but is solid on the boards and can cycle.

If he becomes Kreider 2.0 I'll take it!

I didn't want to outright make that call, but yeah, I saw a lot of Kreider-lite in him, especially on the cut to the net to draw a penalty. He might've scored there if he pulled it to his forehand

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I thought he looked pretty good last night. I know his NHL experience is low but he should be getting reps w us. If he can get used to the speed (thinking wise etc) he could be a damn good acquisition.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gauthier is a big kid who skates well and has good hands. He's a load to handle for most defensemen at any level. In saying that, he is FAR more in the mold of the new age power forwards who lean on people and use their reach to be a PIA than running people over. That's not a knock, it's just not his game. I wouldn't be expecting Josh Anderson.

I'm hopeful Tim Gettinger continues to progress and can fulfill a 4th line forward spot. Adding Gautier and Gettinger make this team that much more difficult to handle all over the ice. Wing-span is hard to replicate when the players skate well and have good skill.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Gauthier looks like brick wall on skates out there. He's huge and very hard to handle. Good debut but I couldn't have thought of a worse center for him than Howden if I tried. Him and Lemieux had to do all the work on that line while Howden f***ed off to nowhere.

It's been one game but I also think its apparent why he's always had so few assists. He does not have soft hands and definitely is not much of a passer or playmaker.

I'm hopeful Tim Gettinger continues to progress and can fulfill a 4th line forward spot. Adding Gautier and Gettinger make this team that much more difficult to handle all over the ice. Wing-span is hard to replicate when the players skate well and have good skill.

I would really like an explanation as to why we haven't given Gettinger any significant 4th line reps. Every time he's came up he's looked pretty competent to me.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Gauthier looks like brick wall on skates out there. He's huge and very hard to handle. Good debut but I couldn't have thought of a worse center for him than Howden if I tried. Him and Lemieux had to do all the work on that line while Howden f*cked off to nowhere.

It's been one game but I also think its apparent why he's always had so few assists. He does not have soft hands and definitely is not much of a passer or playmaker.

I would really like an explanation as to why we haven't given Gettinger any significant 4th line reps. Every time he's came up he's looked pretty competent to me.

That last part I have no idea. Maybe they want to develop him slowly and get him to develop more of his offensive game a bit in the AHL. I agree though, he has looked competent.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Gettinger has been the BEST of the revolving door of AHL'ers to play on the 4th line.

I think PDG would look fine there as well, but they've been rolling straight up booty candy out there on a regular basis.

Reactions: Kendo

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I one its only one game, but Gauthier managed to do what I have been critical of Andersson for failing to do: find a way to be noticed.
Hah...totally agreed. Lived the way he used his body to shield the puck. And shrugs defenders off. Want to see him a little meaner.. I know he took a bunch of penalties for the canes and rode the pine for it. So I wonder if he was being hesitant because of that.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I think what we saw is exactly what most were expecting, and what we should continue to expect going forward. Bull rush the net and pressure the defense on the pro side. Not see Kakko for a white open tap-in on the con side.

Reactions: nyrage

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Why not? Many people had Carolina as a Cup-contender going into the season.

the canes' 4th line isn't that great and the canes also brought justin williams back out of retirement mid-season to put him on the 2nd line...so they are a very good team but I'm not sure they are so deep on RW that it is the only reason he didn't get a chance. not saying it wasn't a factor but if he didn't have flaws, they could have found room.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I think what we saw is exactly what most were expecting, and what we should continue to expect going forward. Bull rush the net and pressure the defense on the pro side. Not see Kakko for a white open tap-in on the con side.

I was laughing last night about that play. We wanted a guy that finally shoots when he has an open shot and we probably would have killed him if he gives up the shot and the pass doesn't work.

I've watched that play about a dozen times. KK was open at the last second when the def committed to Gaulthier's shot on the off wing. It was hard for Gaulthier not to shoot in that position. Like you said, we got what we expected and it's a good thing.

He was very noticeable in this game. Major upgrade to the crap we have been rolling out on the bottom six.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
My family had a garage sale when I was a youngster. The sale got so frenzied, TWO real estate agents drove by and made a stop to give us their business cards because they had looked up our address to see if we were selling and when they saw that we weren't and assumed this was a moving sale, they just had to get their foot in the door. We sold every couch we didn't really love and just about everything else that was a stop gap piece of furniture. We had no couch and 1 dining table left by the end of the day since we were planning on buying new contemporary high quality furniture that would be keepers this time around. We ended up buying 2 couches over the next 6 months from Costco and never figured out why we started lifting all the furniture out into the yard when we only wanted to sell a few lamps and coffee tables.
Brilliant. If you are not an attorney, you should be.
Apologies if that attorney comment is taken as an insult.
It is meant as a compliment.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I saw what everybody else saw, I saw a great first game by him. Also what I think I saw was a great play when he just came on the ice...... and then somehow it turned out to be a 2 on 1 or a 3 on two for Chicago and they scored. It wasn't his fault they scored, just unfortunate, and the fact that he just came on the ice was kind of like he got screwed and ended up with a minus. Anybody else see and know what I am talking about?

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I woulda put him with panarin and strome. The number of times fasth has fumbled a great pass or overpassed a puck...I wanna see a guy with a good shot and size to be getting these passes
And I'd imagine with all the attention Panarin gets, Gauthier would be able to get in position to score more easily than Fast.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
the canes' 4th line isn't that great and the canes also brought justin williams back out of retirement mid-season to put him on the 2nd line...so they are a very good team but I'm not sure they are so deep on RW that it is the only reason he didn't get a chance. not saying it wasn't a factor but if he didn't have flaws, they could have found room.
Well of course he has flaws, otherwise he would have costs a lot more than Joey Keane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad