Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
They have Priskie on the right... but your point stands.

Priskie was barely ranked by Pronman pre-season and unranked by Wheeler in-season. Acquired the more traditional way and he'd be as known as a Fensore or Sellgren.

Keane will probably get overrated for a similar reason. Still, Carolina needed a B+ type prospect at that position. Since 2012, the team has drafted just 1 RHD with a 1st or 2nd round pick (Luke Martin - 2017).

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Once the Rangers are elmiminated, he can go down to play for the Calder Cup, and retain his Calder Trophy eligibility for next year

Great point. Would love to see a lot of the younger Rangers get sent down for a playoff run in the AHL.

Meaning guys like Howdie, Chytil, Fox, Lindgren. A move like that helps build a future core.

Would even welcome Lias back with open arms for a run.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Don't underestimate the physical play. That is what makes him, I believe, Gorton's kind of support player
Thanks. I hadn't read that he's physical really. His speed obv, size and shot were most of what was covered and the neg was his 'hockey IQ'

I'm hopeful he was just blocked and is truly ready, willing AND ABLE to be a solid NHL'er for us.

Reactions: Harbour Dog

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Is Gauthier a true power forward?

I admit that I don't remember any time that I may have viewed him (outside of highlights), but most of what I have read about him suggests that he uses his shot more than his size to be productive.

Edge's comparison to a better-developed Gropp rings very true to me.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Thanks. I hadn't read that he's physical really. His speed obv, size and shot were most of what was covered and the neg was his 'hockey IQ'

I'm hopeful he was just blocked and is truly ready, willing AND ABLE to be a solid NHL'er for us.

Beat me to it.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I think you're hope is that you find him a very defined role, with more dynamic players, who can fully exploit his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

It's almost too bad he doesn't play the left side, because he and Buch would provide quite the contrast on the wings.
I see what you're saying here, especially given that Mika and Buch will need a new LW if/when Kreider is traded.

But by the same token, imagine him to the right of Panarin once Fast is gone...

Trying not to get my hopes up too high, but he was one of the guys I wanted him to target and points to Gorton building the exact kind of team I want to see: big, fast, and heavy, with just a few extremely talented smaller guys mixed in.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Certainly not based in his skill. The logic would be he has never had a really big work load in a season, and even if he started every game from here out (which he won't) he'll still only finish around 50 games. So it would be nice to get him another 15 or so starts, even if they're in the AHL. Help get him accustomed to being the bona fide #1 in North America where you might need to play 65 games (or more). He obviously doesn't belong there, but there's still a case to be made as to how it could be helpful.

Excellent post. I would add that it would also be very good for the whole organization to have the Wolfpack win a round or two in the playoffs. The experience for the players down there would be fantastic. The level of play in any playoff round is that much tougher than the regular season. I don't think Shesterkin has ever been the the go-to goalie in the playoffs--I think that experience, even in the AHL, would be good for him. He's never going to play in the AHL again after this season. It wouldn't be a "demotion".

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I didn't read the 23 pages here, but if this kid can move like this, at 6'4" and 230 lbs, then it might be a good move for us.

With his size at 22 yrs old, he can have an immediate impact in making this team from the get go. Very unlike Keene would have had.

According to him, his game came around late last season, when most plays on the PP and breakouts centered around him. That's when his goal production went up. Doubt very much he will get that much attention here, but he can still crash the net and finish checks.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
He played a good game tonight in limited ice time on the 4th line. I felt generous and gave him the third star tonight, off his display of breakaway speed that drew a penalty, in which Strome promptly scored on the PP. Good start for the youngster with only 7+ minutes on the ice.

Last edited:

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I watched some tape on Keane, he has great skating and agility, looked like figure skating/speed skating type fluidity. But other than that I thought his shot was weak and he does not throw big hit that much(maybe just the clips I saw).

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
I watched some tape on Keane, he has great skating and agility, looked like figure skating/speed skating type fluidity. But other than that I thought his shot was weak and he does not throw big hit that much(maybe just the clips I saw).
He is a very good skater but we need the speed on the wing that Gauthier supplies. He drew a penalty with his speed tonight. And our PP is one of the best in the league lately.

Last edited:
Reactions: CasusBelli

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Another thing is if Keane injures a knee or starts having some chronic knee problems I don't think he will be able to skate the way he does.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
kid is huge, can skate, drives hard to the net, has good hands (at the ahl level atleast) I'm still waiting for the catch that explains why he hadn't gotten a shot in the nhl yet. and I don't think the answer is simply that the canes had no room.

Reactions: ohbaby

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
kid is huge, can skate, drives hard to the net, has good hands (at the ahl level atleast) I'm still waiting for the catch that explains why he hadn't gotten a shot in the nhl yet. and I don't think the answer is simply that the canes had no room.
Why not? Many people had Carolina as a Cup-contender going into the season.

Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
How does Gauthier compare to Josh Anderson? I know a lot of people have been mentioning that guy as a potential target.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
How does Gauthier compare to Josh Anderson? I know a lot of people have been mentioning that guy as a potential target.
Anderson scored 27 goals and had 200 hits last year. If Gauthier performs half as well I'd be happy.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Didn’t see the whole game but looks like Chytil and Strome need to work in their face offs.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008

I like Gauthier, I like the idea behind this trade too. Yet I think what we saw last night is sort of his game, which is good. If he can add some vision /play making to his game, I am really going to like this trade, where I think the catch so to speak sort of is, will he be able to round out or add elements to his game?

Also he will be waiver eligible next season, and expansion draft eligible, and for the Canes that was probably going to be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leetch3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad