UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Wait, we can say shit now?!

tenor.gif

Oh shit, you right

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Hey, maybe we'll get lucky and Howden will be included in the Kreider trade

Howden is only on the Rangers to save face from the McDonagh trade and that no center can be him out of that spot and no Andersson did not prove anything at training camp.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Seems as if most Canes fans are surprised they moved Gaut for Keane.. who does nothing for them right now with Hamilton hurt and they have just as bad a logjam as we do on defense.

This trade makes zero sense for Carolina

Defensive depth can erode pretty quickly. Carolina's RHD group went from Hamilton (3 years of term), Pesce (6 years), Faulk (2 years) and van Riemsdyk (2 years) with a notable prospect in the system (Fox) in 18-19 to Hamilton (2 years), Pesce (5 years) and van Riemsdyk (1 year) with nothing notable in the system 1 year later.

There's some depth on the left side (Slavin, Gardiner, Fleury with Bean overripe in the AHL), but that's going to erode too. Carolina's in a vulnerable position at the expansion draft with Bean requiring protection but the team not having a slot in a 7/3/1 if Hamilton re-signs.

A expansion-exempt RHD prospect was a need. I assumed they would address it with one of the high picks (2 1sts and 2 2nds) at the draft and they still may.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yeah I think Vince said yesterday the plan was to put him right into the lineup.

A little bit surprising - I thought he'd spend a few days practicing and maybe take a game or two with Hartford to learn the system while the full and reasonably well performing current roster would playout the road games. On the other hand a trade of a forward or two is very imminent so there could be an immediate opening.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Defensive depth can erode pretty quickly. Carolina's RHD group went from Hamilton (3 years of term), Pesce (6 years), Faulk (2 years) and van Riemsdyk (2 years) with a notable prospect in the system (Fox) in 18-19 to Hamilton (2 years), Pesce (5 years) and van Riemsdyk (1 year) with nothing notable in the system 1 year later.

There's some depth on the left side (Slavin, Gardiner, Fleury with Bean overripe in the AHL), but that's going to erode too. Carolina's in a vulnerable position at the expansion draft with Bean requiring protection but the team not having a slot in a 7/3/1 if Hamilton re-signs.

A expansion-exempt RHD prospect was a need. I assumed they would address it with one of the high picks (2 1sts and 2 2nds) at the draft and they still may.

They have Priskie on the right... but your point stands.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Typically if it makes sense to me - I vote "yes" : )

I've always been somewhat lukewarm on Gauthier as a player.

And depending on the season, game, or even the shift, he's either looked like a guy who could play a valuable role in the NHL, or a guy who will shortly be celebrating his birthday with his teammates in Geneva.

But, the trade does make a lot of sense and I can see what the Rangers are hoping for.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I voted in the "I don't know" category, though I think it's a logical trade that makes a lot of sense.
Agreed and I did also.

I like what I'm hearing about his skills and how he likes to play, but if those were all true, then I want to know why (aside from being blocked and waiver eligible) CAR would deal him?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Agreed and I did also.

I like what I'm hearing about his skills and how he likes to play, but if those were all true, then I want to know why (aside from being blocked and waiver eligible) CAR would deal him?

There's upside there --- for sure. In many ways, I think Gauthier somewhat represents what the Rangers hoped they were getting in Ryan Gropp, and where they hoped he might be at a similar stage in development.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
There's upside there --- for sure. In many ways, I think Gauthier somewhat represents what the Rangers hoped they were getting in Ryan Gropp, and where they hoped he might be at a similar stage in development.
Mostly I love the shoot 1st mentality.

I know almost nothing about him except what I have read the past few days and I am NOT one to watch highlight reels of players on youtube. I'll reserve judgement until I watch him for :30 seconds tonight :laugh:

Heard he has a good shot also, which is important if someone IS INDEED a shoot 1st type.

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Mostly I love the shoot 1st mentality.

I know almost nothing about him except what I have read the past few days and I am NOT one to watch highlight reels of players on youtube. I'll reserve judgement until I watch him for :30 seconds tonight :laugh:

Heard he has a good shot also, which is important if someone IS INDEED a shoot 1st type.

I think you're hope is that you find him a very defined role, with more dynamic players, who can fully exploit his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

It's almost too bad he doesn't play the left side, because he and Buch would provide quite the contrast on the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad