Confirmed with Link: [NYR/CAR] Joey Keane for Julien Gauthier

Do you like this trade?

• Total voters

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I'm skeptical.

I do like the fact we sold high on Keane. His value is at an all time high right now and with the depth in our organization, he wasn't going to have a future here on the NHL roster. It was a good time to trade him in one of these lateral moves for a player at another position.

Gauthier comes with red flags. Sure, he has the pedigree, the size, the shot, the natural scoring ability, etc. But teams don't trade 6'4 guys who can score unless they really don't believe in them. 5 NHL games at the age of 22 is a red flag. If he was any good, wouldn't he have been playing in Carolina by now? They don't exactly score a lot. Sure, guys develop late all the time. I'm a big fan of this team, I want him to succeed as much as anyone. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery and some coaches that will believe in him and give him an opportunity. Maybe he just wasn't a Brind'amour guy. I'm just going to temper my expectations a bit though before I say "Wow, what a trade by Gorton." These lateral prospects deals have not worked out too well in our favor in the past. Graves for Bigras immediately comes to mind. It wouldn't completely shock me in three years if Keane is a serviceable, bottom pair NHL defenseman and Gauthier isn't in the league.

It's worth taking the chance though. These are the kind of players you gamble on. This guy has scored at every level. Can he improve the other parts of his game enough to be a top 9 forward in the NHL, or is he a tweener and an AHL all-star?
They're not a top offensive team but their forward depth is very strong. Ryan Dzingel is on their 4th line; Dzingel scored 56 points last year.

Part of me shares the same concern after the Graves situation (although to be fair, Graves has played like the entire season with Makar/MacKinnon/Landeskog/Rantanen.) But I think Gauthier was legit blocked in Carolina, which is apparently a common complaint of theirs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buchnevich89

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned...but Gauthier helped the Canes farm team win the Calder Cup last year in the AHL. Nice to have a little exprience down there for the Packs playoff run when he and Shest get back sent down at the end of the season.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does Gauthier's mom joins the Rangers trip tomorrow? Does Gauthier makes his Rangers debut tomorrow night? I've been a fan of his since his draft year in 2016. He has Blake Wheeler lite type of game in my opinion. If he is half as good I'd take it.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
Anybody alarmed by Gauthier's low assist production? Does he suck at passing or is selfish with the puck?

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Does Gauthier's mom joins the Rangers trip tomorrow? Does Gauthier makes his Rangers debut tomorrow night? I've been a fan of his since his draft year in 2016. He has Blake Wheeler lite type of game in my opinion. If he is half as good I'd take it.

I watched a couple of YouTube highlights of his and not sure I got a Wheeler feel from his highlights tho your not far off at all, it was more of a Rick Nash type of feel tho that's pretty close to Wheeler so maybe we are on the same wave length...lol

I saw some physicality in a few highlights and he seems to be filled out already and a big ass dude. I dunno, it seems like on paper an excellent gamble by Gorton to see if we can strike some gold and hopefully filling a pretty obvious need of ours.

Very much looking forward to watching Gautier play tonight vs the Hawks and than his former team the Canes. I haven't read all of this thread...any thoughts on what line he might play on tonight?

I think I'd like to see how he plays with Lemieux and Chytil as I think those two might be a good combo to start with for Gautier....ya think?

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
I watched a couple of YouTube highlights of his and not sure I got a Wheeler feel from his highlights tho your not far off at all, it was more of a Rick Nash type of feel tho that's pretty close to Wheeler so maybe we are on the same wave length...lol

I saw some physicality in a few highlights and he seems to be filled out already and a big ass dude. I dunno, it seems like on paper an excellent gamble by Gorton to see if we can strike some gold and hopefully filling a pretty obvious need of ours.

Very much looking forward to watching Gautier play tonight vs the Hawks and than his former team the Canes. I haven't read all of this thread...any thoughts on what line he might play on tonight?

I think I'd like to see how he plays with Lemieux and Chytil as I think those two might be a good combo to start with for Gautier....ya think?
Man, you must have eaten those 10 page college essays for breakfast back in the day :laugh:

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Pronman:

Commentary on CAR-NYR trading Gauthier for Keane: Based on my evaluations of the players exchanged, I like Gauthier a little more as a player. Carolina was going to have to make a decision on him soon, though, because if he hit waivers next fall, my understanding from discussions with NHL scouts is that he was the type of player who would have been claimed. Based on those circumstances, getting a defenseman like Keane, who is on the first year of an entry-level deal, preserves some value in the system for Carolina; while the Rangers, who don’t have as deep an NHL roster, take a big swing on a highly talented player.

Reactions: belford22

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
shesterkin isn’t playing in the AHl ever again
Certainly not based in his skill. The logic would be he has never had a really big work load in a season, and even if he started every game from here out (which he won't) he'll still only finish around 50 games. So it would be nice to get him another 15 or so starts, even if they're in the AHL. Help get him accustomed to being the bona fide #1 in North America where you might need to play 65 games (or more). He obviously doesn't belong there, but there's still a case to be made as to how it could be helpful.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Gauthier is coming to the Big City..lets see if he can take his game to another level. Worth a shot.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

@Amazing Kreiderman

I love you but the choice is clear based on the below I posted yardmaster afternoon =)

So I guess I'll just post this here:

Kreider
D+1 season
23 points in 38 games in the NCAA

D+2 season
24 points in 32 games in the NCAA

D+3 season
45 points in 44 games in the NCAA
7 points in 18 playoff games in NHL

D+4 season
23 (12g) points in 48 games in the AHL
3 points in 23 games in the NHL

Gauthier
D+1 season
51 points in 43 games played in the QMJHL
17 points in 16 playoff games in QMJHL

D+2 season
25 points (16g) in 65 games in the AHL
2 points in 8 playoff games in AHL

D+3 season
41 points (27g) in 75 games in the AHL
8 points in 17 playoff games the AHL

D+4 season
37 points (27g) in 44 games played in the AHL

Players with size often take a bit longer to develop. He's proven to be improving consistently and he knows how to score in a professional league. Why are people down on him?

Reactions: Mikos87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->