Proposal: NYR/CAR deal (again)

Discussion in 'Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk' started by De Montreal, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Mac n Gs Gorton plz

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    What's the deal with this trend lately for non-NYR fans to make these terrible proposals involving the Rangers?

2. aufheben #Panarin4Hart

SB Cash:
    $ 571,446
    Why wouldn’t they be allowed to make a deal again? :laugh:

3. egelband HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Media
    Two wrongs don’t make a right.

4. usekakkorightquinn Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000

Spare me. NY gets ripped off here beyond belief. Carolina's goalies suck. Only the Rangers half asleep made them look decent in one playoff round. No interest in helping a competitor improve their pathetic goalie situation plus throw in a first for Necas. We already have Chytil. Zero need for Necas. Let Carolina keep searching for a real goalie.

5. usekakkorightquinn Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000

He's fine defensively. Get a clue.

6. LakeLivin Armchair Quarterback

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    True. But 3 rights do make a left. :D

7. Boom Boom Apathy Eat cookies, get fat, watch from the couch

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    That's fine. There's little chance the Canes would trade Necas alone for that package so you don't have to worry about it.

8. Machinehead Royal Rat Groomer

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Professor
    The Czech Republic is a country of nearly 11 million people, not a wine club.

These proposals need to stop putting random countrymen together. Chytil and Necas have never been full-time teammates.

9. Boom Boom Apathy Eat cookies, get fat, watch from the couch

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Yeah, the number of times fans kept insisting the Canes were going to draft Zadina because of the Necas connection, and forgo drafting Svechnikov was maddening.

10. Discipline Daddy DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUB

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I love Necas's potential, but he is not strong defensively, at least by the eye test. He gets knocked off the puck too easily and can cause turnovers from the offensive zone. His on-ice awareness is pretty good, but he hasn't learned positionally where to be to fit into our system. He's a rookie, it's understandable. Although he isn't piss-poor, he is close to the worst defensive forward to regularly play for our team in 2019-2020 (I thought Ryan Dzingel and Brian Gibbons were worse). He'll learn in time, I hope, like Terevainen. Turbo is a stud defensively - not at all physical but very positionally sound and has great stick work to break up shots and passing lanes.

WreckingCrew likes this.
  11. egelband HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Media
    upload_2020-9-16_11-18-18.gif

Surrounded By Ahos and LakeLivin like this.
  12. FireGorton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Why did they trade for Skjei again? Perhaps he will be playing better now that he is out of NYC and not partying every night. He reminded me of Michael Del Zotto great start to the career but loved to party

13. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Half our defence was injured going into the trade deadline

14. Ledge And Dairy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Dragonologist in Training
    Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
    Odd but for a second I read the tittle as NASCAR (again)

15. FireGorton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    But Skjei has term he wasn’t a rental. Rumors were they wanted to move Jake Gardiner. Jake Bean was an option.You also traded for Joey Keane. I see Gorton trading Canes 1st for Bean and Rangers 2nd since both GM’s have been kissing cousins last 16 months.

16. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    We like cost controlled players with multiple years of control. Skjei very well might have been tabbed as a Gardiner replacement but either way I think he’s just a player that the Canes front office likes a lot based on his skill set, age and contract situation and saw that the Rangers made him available for a price they were fine with.

The Gauthier <> Keane swap was pretty simple in that once Fox demanded his trade to NYR our RHD pipeline became pretty shallow and on top of that Gauthier just didn’t seem to project a difference maker at forward for us. We already have enough bottom 6 forwards that can do why he does, although it’s easy to see that his skill set is quite impressive .

We like Bean a lot over here and he’s definitely ready for a crack at an NHL roster. I’d hate to trade him but I’d probably take that 1st + 2nd for him since we’ve got to make some moves on our defence before the expansion draft.

17. Gocanes0506 Kayleigh McEnany‘s hockey fan twin

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    the Canes look at the cost of the asset and their value. What would you consider the value of a top 4 defender playing 20 minutes a night with over 300 games and signed for 4 more years? We looked at our picks and assumed they would be in the 19-25 range. A 1st round pick has a 50% chance of playing 200 games in their career and that is the entire 1st round. I believe it is safe to assume the bottom half of the round is lower than 50%. So, we can trade a may be player for an actual player that will give us 20 a night, if needed,. A guy that is already in the league player top 4, is worth more than 50% chance of getting a lesser version of him. On top of that, the contract carries Skjei through his best playing years so, we dont have much risk of the contract hurting us on the back end. Getting Skjei out of the Rangers' system should help to increase his value as well. Rangers system is hard on defenders. He should climb out of the worst deals in the NHL bucket.

The same thought process goes into the Gardiner signing. How much is a 40-50 point scoring defender worth? The Rangers just spent 8 million a year to get Trouba who scored 50 once and Skjei like production every other year. Unfortunately, Gardiner was still recovering from his back issues which was compounded by the fact that the Canes system counts on skating defenders to make playss. Jake was out there having skating issues due to his back and his numbers reflected it. Dougie had similar struggles with the system and then coupled with a broken hand which made Dougie's 1st half of his first year here look really bad. Im not saying Gardiner will have a Norris like increase in number next year but he could have his post January production all year. That version of Gardiner is well worth 4 million. So, the value of the deal shows true.

TLDR version, they go for value. Skjei's deal has it.

GIN ANTONIC likes this.
  18. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    If we’re being honest, as much as it may have seemed from the outside hat the Canes squiring Skjei was an odd move it was even more odd that the Rangers traded him. I guess if it really wasn’t working and they felt it was time to move on then fine, I get it, and they also wanted some cap flexibility but now NYR is in the position of having Fox - Trouba - TDA on the right side and not much on the left side at all.

The Rangers defensive system is a shit show and maybe it’s hard to know if that’s a personnel thing or a coaching thing or a combination. If they feel their window is about to open in the next year or two with their high powered offence and Igor the GOAT in net they need to balance out their D to see some improvement there.

Canes are a team that would rather go out and acquire talented players on a good value proposition even if they don’t fit an exact need and figure it out later.

Anyway, lots of things can happen before the expansion draft so we will see

19. AndreiThreeK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,135,000
    The difference between #22 overall and #43 overall is a lot less than Jake Bean.

I wouldn't be surprised though if the Canes moved Haydn Fleury or Jake Bean (more likely) for a mid/late 1st. NJ could be a good target or Ottawa with NYI's pick.

WreckingCrew, Chrispy and GIN ANTONIC like this.
  20. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Oh I read that wrong. Yeah, I’m not giving up #43 and Jake Bean to get #22.

21. FireGorton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I get the cost control but the Rangers traded him within the division.I see MDZ 2.0 but perhaps you are right. What 2nd are you talking about? You would send Rangers 2nd rounder back.....

22. FireGorton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Cheap organizations helping out cheap organization what a shock. Devils need to draft talent and Vegas has their 2nd

23. AndreiThreeK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,135,000
    I'd think NYR fans would be a little less bitter that Carolina stomped them out of the Playoffs after they won Lafreniere.

Canes are one of the teams in the league that haven't cut current staff payroll. Waddell said they would be close to the Cap again next year. New owner has plenty of money to burn.

The Devils have three 1sts. If they want an immediate young LHD to slot into the roster than there aren't many better options than Bean or Fleury.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020 at 11:06 AM
    WreckingCrew likes this.
  24. GIN ANTONIC Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    I misread your offer. I thought you were sending a 1st + 2nd (which is a bit of an overpay) for Bean. Not down with sending a 2nd + Bean for the 22OA though.

25. FireGorton Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,000,000
    Bitter? That’s cute considering every time the Rangers played in Carolina the fans were chanting ZUC. Prove me wrong the Rangers weren’t propping the Canes or Devils up. Devils do that trade they will only ruin either guy’s career with Ruff running the show.