Proposal: NYR/CAR deal (again)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I'm not sure if they are allowed to deal again but somehow they make good trade partner

To NYR :
Martin Necas
115th overall pick (CAR 4th round)

To CAR :
22th overall pick (CAR 1st round)
Alexandar Georgiev

Reasoning behind this is :

Rangers re-unite Czechmate Necas and Chytil, and/or they get a natural centreman with top-6 potential to play with Lafrenière some day. He's NHL ready, which is a big plus in comparaison whoever they would draft with CAR pick at 22th.

Carolina top 6 is stack at the moment. They have guys like Geekie, Foegele and Suzuki who can step-in Necas place right away. They get a good 1B goaltender, which solve a big of their netminding issue, and they get back their 1st.

It seems to me it solve both team issues in the present, while not hurting them much in the long-term neither.

What you think?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I love when a deal is clear in favor of one team, and the team that's getting ripped off still has to add a mid round pick as if that's somehow balancing anything. Those are my favorite trades.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Okay, so what piece would the Rangers need to add in that scenario? K'Andre Miller?

I entirely doubt Carolina is interested in a package deal for Necas. They have quality players and depth almost everywhere on the roster. If they're trading for Necas, it would probably be to address a need and the player coming back would very likely be better than Necas. Otherwise there's no point in trading him.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
I entirely doubt Carolina is interested in a package deal for Necas. They have quality players and depth almost everywhere on the roster. If they're trading for Necas, it would probably be to address a need and the player coming back would very likely be better than Necas. Otherwise there's no point in trading him.
And if it was a for top-end goaltender? Would that be enticing?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And if it was a for top-end goaltender? Would that be enticing?

Probably not, but it depends on how Carolina views said goaltender in comparison to Necas. There are very few goaltenders I would trade Necas for though, personally. I can think of 2-5 that I would consider, but their teams wouldn't trade them for Necas, most likely.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Aug 25, 2009
éal
You have a Gibson or Shesterkin to offer? No? Well, then nothing to really talk about in regards to Necas then
I really didnt thought the Hurricanes were thinking of him so highly. He did some pretty good first seasons with the pro. But I'm still expecting him to become more of a 2nd liner than a 1st liner, and with the logjam of good forwards of the Hurricanes that's why I thought it could benefit them to trade him for a goaltender

Reactions: egelband

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I really didnt thought the Hurricanes were thinking of him so highly. He did some pretty good first seasons with the pro. But I'm still expecting him to become more of a 2nd liner than a 1st liner, and with the logjam of good forwards of the Hurricanes that's why I thought it could benefit them to trade him for a goaltender

He was on pace for 20g and 40pts as a 20yr old rookie. He’s likely to shift to Center in the next few years. He’s got 2 yrs of ELC left and is expansion draft exempt.

Why wouldn’t they think very highly of him?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He was on pace for 20g and 40pts as a 20yr old rookie. He’s likely to shift to Center in the next few years. He’s got 2 yrs of ELC left and is expansion draft exempt.

I knew they were thinking highly of him, but not '' we wouldnt trade him for any goaltender except Gibson or Shesterkin '' high. That's fine, I just wasnt expecting that.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
That is an absolute steal for the Rangers. No way it happens.

Some combination of the 22nd + Kravtsov would make more sense. Even then, I don't see why the Hurricanes trade Necas.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't see why Canes give up a prospect like a player like Martin Necas, for a goalie who isn't a guaranteed starter, or upgrade. I know everybody loves "1st round picks", but some teams have no need for spending valuable assets to acquire a player 3-4 years out from making their NHL roster. Hurricanes are one of those teams. I also don't understand the obsession with "re-uniting" players. Do you really think at an NHL level that's going to be a major difference?

We're better off trying elsewhere because this isn't happening and we're not offering the package Canes would want.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Okay, so what piece would the Rangers need to add in that scenario? K'Andre Miller?

A piece worth Necas would need to be added. Georgiev and #22 are sweeteners in that deal.

NYR doesn't have the right piece for a Necas deal. Laf and Kakko are way too much. 3 nickels for a quarter type deal isn't remotely interesting for an expansion exempt piece.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Of course Carolina values necas highly. He was just drafted in 2017 12 overall and projects as a big first line center who is already playing in the nhl. I would think they think as highly of him as rangers think of kravstov who was drafted a year later at 9 overall but projects as a first line winger who is not playing in the nhl yet.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I knew they were thinking highly of him, but not '' we wouldnt trade him for any goaltender except Gibson or Shesterkin '' high. That's fine, I just wasnt expecting that.

Canes would likely have to add to Necas in a trade for a high-end G with term, but with all the goaltenders available at the moment and the Canes’ dire need of secondary scoring, it really makes no sense to deal Necas for anything less. In fact, with their cap situation, it doesn’t really make sense at all to trade contributing NHL players on their ELC.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Using that logic - Why would you trade a 2nd line, exempt player for that package after making the playoffs 2 years in a row?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Is he? He's not good defensively and he's pretty atrocious in the faceoff circle. Seems more like a long term RW.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Is he? He's not good defensively and he's pretty atrocious in the faceoff circle. Seems more like a long term RW.

I’d think he’ll be taking the Seguin route to C. First few years at RW, then switch over when completely comfortable with the NHL game and his body more filled out. It’s been mentioned around the org, well from their Athletic writer, that it’s likely one of the reasons they went out and got Trocheck. Trocheck can handle duties at C for 2 years, then when his deal is up at the end of those 2 years, Necas takes over.

And it’s not like he won’t be able to learn how to win a face off or play in his own zone with Brind’Amour coaching him.

However, who knows, maybe he sticks as a RW. It’s not like the Canes are currently lacking in C prospects (Geekie, Suzuki, Rees, Cotton, Drury, etc.)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad