Value of: NYR-BOS pix n prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
B's have no 1st in deep draft, or their 3rd.
R's have lots of pix but idea is to use them.

Do Bruins want back their 1st + 3rd 2018
at cost of
2018 2nd
2019 1st
Joona Koppanen [5th round pick]
Peter Cehlarik [3rd round pick]
both prospects are elc, deal is cap neutral

At a glance: Bruins give up 2 guys + 2nd to add 3rd this year and flip 1sts.

B's still have plenty of bodies and this gives R's couple of F boom-bust projects with size.
B's pay reasonably for instant gratification, NY juggle this year strategic planning for next year also.

Do both wanna do this?
If not, but we like the idea, what would be the tweak?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
To elaborate, Bruins would probably have interest in trying to get back in the first round sure, but as the cost of a future first, a 2nd and a 22 year old AHL first liner with an NHL body??? That’s crazy.

Reactions: Estlin

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
B's have no 1st in deep draft, or their 3rd.
R's have lots of pix but idea is to use them.

Do Bruins want back their 1st + 3rd 2018
at cost of
2018 2nd
2019 1st
Joona Koppanen [5th round pick]
Peter Cehlarik [3rd round pick]
both prospects are elc, deal is cap neutral

At a glance: Bruins give up 2 guys + 2nd to add 3rd this year and flip 1sts.

B's still have plenty of bodies and this gives R's couple of F boom-bust projects with size.
B's pay reasonably for instant gratification, NY juggle this year strategic planning for next year also.

Do both wanna do this?
If not, but we like the idea, what would be the tweak?
Nope.

Boston is fine with young established NHLers and almost there prospects. A year off this year is better for spreading out the development than a year off next year would be.

No interest.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
To elaborate, Bruins would probably have interest in trying to get back in the first round sure, but as the cost of a future first, a 2nd and a 22 year old AHL first liner with an NHL body??? That’s crazy.
thanks to all for replies

what do you consider a 'sane' return?
those prospects look good, but they are a 3rd and 5th, and I suggested them because they have size which can't be taught. But do we KNOW they can skate to NHL level? Are they can't miss? Considered both sweeteners and didn't view this as going over.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

those prospects look good, but they are a 3rd and 5th, and I suggested them because they have size which can't be taught. But do we KNOW they can skate to NHL level? Are they can't miss? Considered both sweeteners and didn't view this as going over.

Cehlarik looked the part on his brief stints the last two seasons in 2nd line roles. This season he looked poised to stick and then a series of injuries hit. Bruins have a surplus of prospects (hence the Nash deal), but both those guys are top 10 prospects (according to hockey news) in the Bruins system. Giving up those guys and a 2nd and next years first for a first this year that might be later then the first next year? Doesn’t seem
wise. Bruins remove next years first from the proposal and I still say no. Cehlarik alone has just as much chance of being an NHL player as that late 1st. Just because he WAS a 3rd doesn’t mean crap.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I’d rather just use those assets to try to make the team better next year. Cehlarik alone has more of a chance of that by himself then moving them for picks.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

I think the Bruins need some size, they are the smallest team in the league if you take out Chara and Carlo. They get pushed around a little at times. Besides that, just because those prospects were a 3rd and a 5th doesn't mean that is what they are worth now. They pay out all of this and then they don't have a 1st next year.

I don't like it, it just seems like robbing Peter to pay Paul as they say and paying too much on top of that. I think they would be interested in moving into the 1st round but not at the cost of a 1st and a 2nd and some good prospects.

You want to trade a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th for a 1st and a 3rd. Sounds like an overpayment to me.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Neither team does this. Terrible trade, honestly. It's absolutely pointless, more-so for Boston. They give up a 1st next season and are now in the same position this season...Only difference is that the 1st could easily be a higher pick if things don't go well for Boston. On top of that, they give up a 2nd this season + a good prospect in Cehlarik (who should be used in a deal better than this).

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
This is bad for Boston. The more I think about it, I'd probably be ok with Rangers doing this, assuming 1) We don't use that pick to move up, or for other assets. 2) Bokk is gone by 26. Rangers get another 1st for next year, an extra 2nd round pick, and a prospect with potential of actually making the team. His skating is questionable but he's got the size we want. We also pick up a big body in Koppanen who might put it all together some time down the road.

If Boston has a better year, the pick is slightly later than the one we have. If Boston doesn't go on that stretch of dominance, it's possible the pick is a little lower.

Point is mute, though, Boston doesn't touch this and they just signed the kid like a few days ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad