Proposal: NYR/ANA/EDM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I think Anaheim and the Rangers can deal with each other directly. Anaheim has players that I’d like to see on the Rangers, and Buchnevich would really help Anaheim’s Top 6 which desperately needs scoring.

If the plan is to move on from Strome and promote Chytil to 2c, I see a few players in Anaheim that can fit the Rangers 3C and even 4c needs. Also can maybe get a LHD as well to add some depth to the bottom pairing. Wonder if a sign and trade could be done. Buchnevich’s age fits into the Ducks window also. I’d prefer to keep Buch in NY, but if he is the odd man out would prefer he goes to Anaheim where he is needed.

Yeah there really was no need to make it a three way proposal, and the value of the add on pieces will always be debatable. The main premise was the Ducks taking their return from a Rakell or Manson trade, and packaging it with one of their own good young pieces to make an offer for Buch.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
To Anaheim - Pavel Buchnevich, Carter Savoie

To Edmonton - Rickard Rakell 50% retained

To NYR - Isac Lundestrom, Oilers 2021 1st, Oilers 2022 2nd

Edmonton can easily be swapped out here for whichever other teams would be willing to give up a 1st and a couple B assets for Rakell at 1.9M. Considered also using Manson for this portion of the trade.

If Buchnevich is available, he represents the type of player Anaheim needs to be looking into. He's proving he can produce and he's young enough to commit to long term. It's difficult to give up a young NHL center with upside in Lundestrom, but the Ducks top 6 could use at least one more sure thing.

From the Rangers side, I read a couple comments that a cheap young center who could slide into a 3C role, would represent at least one of your needs. Lundestrom is a strong and competitive, in the very least will round out as a solid character center. He's still sort of finding his identity on the offensive side, remains to be seen whether he can grow into top 6 type production. Sam Steel was another consideration but I thought Lundestrom offered more value at this point.

Again I was sort of operating under the notion that there might not be enough long term money to give Buchnevich a big extension, hence the offering of cheap young assets. But if its rather a case of the Rangers needing to spend that money on other needs (have read that a top four D upgrade would be one of them), would there would any chance that a Fowler/Buch trade could be possible?

This rangers fan makes the deal.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
A team gave up a first for 3rd line tier Foligno (who had been the most overrated captain in the NHL)

I can always understand not wanting to give up particular prospects in exchange for a rental/short term gain, so if Savoie is on that list I can accept that. Strictly speaking in terms of value, I don't think a late '21 1st and a couple of decent add ons is out of line at all.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I can always understand not wanting to give up particular prospects in exchange for a rental/short term gain, so if Savoie is on that list I can accept that. Strictly speaking in terms of value, I don't think a late '21 1st and a couple of decent add ons is out of line at all.
Yeah and Rakell is much better than Foligno. I'm still amazed Columbus got a 1st for him.

Someone

Jul 11, 2007
A team gave up a first for 3rd line tier Foligno (who had been the most overrated captain in the NHL)

Deadline deals are a different ball game. Draft picks are at their lowest value at the deadline and their highest at the draft. Apples and oranges.

Rakell is a good add for the Oilers but there are issues. His offensive numbers have declined, yet for the sake of this trade he's being valued as if they haven't. His numbers probably get better with McDavid/Drai, but in this instance if he does too good, he probably becomes unaffordable. The retention doesn't have a ton of value for me, as his current contract is pretty affordable and we have the space this year. I guess it would depend on what else Holland has planned for the offseason.

Anyways, good premise for a deal, but the value isn't good for the Oil. I'm not too sure I'd do a 1st and 2nd for a guy with 9 goals this year, let alone Savoie. I don't think there's a need to pay a premium for retention.

Reactions: TFHockey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Poor Benson. We're at the point where we're putting him into trade proposals.
I'm not interested in coughing up 1st round picks for rentals.
I'd do a 2nd + Benson @50%.
I'd do a 1st as long as it comes with Rakell at least being open to an extension. If he is all like "Edmonton, no way" then I'd say no thanks.

I'm okay with trading Benson. If we can't give him a chance, I hope he gets an opportunity somewhere else.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think both teams cut the other out and deal with the Rangers. The 1st can't be the best piece coming back for us. We need something more than a future player 3+ years out. We have prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad