Proposal: NYR/ANA/EDM

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
To Anaheim - Pavel Buchnevich, Carter Savoie

To Edmonton - Rickard Rakell 50% retained

To NYR - Isac Lundestrom, Oilers 2021 1st, Oilers 2022 2nd

Edmonton can easily be swapped out here for whichever other teams would be willing to give up a 1st and a couple B assets for Rakell at 1.9M. Considered also using Manson for this portion of the trade.

If Buchnevich is available, he represents the type of player Anaheim needs to be looking into. He's proving he can produce and he's young enough to commit to long term. It's difficult to give up a young NHL center with upside in Lundestrom, but the Ducks top 6 could use at least one more sure thing.

From the Rangers side, I read a couple comments that a cheap young center who could slide into a 3C role, would represent at least one of your needs. Lundestrom is a strong and competitive, in the very least will round out as a solid character center. He's still sort of finding his identity on the offensive side, remains to be seen whether he can grow into top 6 type production. Sam Steel was another consideration but I thought Lundestrom offered more value at this point.

Again I was sort of operating under the notion that there might not be enough long term money to give Buchnevich a big extension, hence the offering of cheap young assets. But if its rather a case of the Rangers needing to spend that money on other needs (have read that a top four D upgrade would be one of them), would there would any chance that a Fowler/Buch trade could be possible?

Reactions: bernmeister

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Seems Oilers really paying a hell of a lot for a rental. Savoie had a great rookie NCAA season.

Lundestrom does nothing for NYR as Chytil is 3C atm and wouldnt be enough as a main piece for Buchnevich.

I understand your logic but I just dont a see a fit and feel Oilers slightly fleeced here.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How good is Carter Savoie projected to be? Without knowing much about him I think I prefer to send him to NY and leave Lundestrom out of the proposal. But again I’m not overly familiar with him so could be wrong there.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Seems Oilers really paying a hell of a lot for a rental. Savoie had a great rookie NCAA season.

Lundestrom does nothing for NYR as Chytil is 3C atm and wouldnt be enough as a main piece for Buchnevich.

I understand your logic but I just dont a see a fit and feel Oilers slightly fleeced here.

I've seen a few Oilers fans willing to give up a 1st + good prospect for Rakell. Didn't think 2021 1st + Savoie + 2nd was too far out line, Rakell for less than 2M is a pretty good asset for a contender in this flat cap era. The value of the add on pieces could certainly be worked on.

I wasn't exactly sure where things stood regarding Chytil and his position, has he been deployed as a full time center of late? I thought maybe he would slide into a top 6 role in the absence of Buchnevich. Thought I saw at least a couple comments about needing a 3C while browsing the Rangers board.

Last edited:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
You're right about there likely not being enough money to keep Buch around. I think Lundestrom could be an interesting target. However, I think I like the potential more than the probability with him. I see him more as a strong 3C down the road as opposed to that two-way 2C we'd love to add to the fold. A good piece, and a much needed piece to round out the team, but not sure he's the guy I'd really hope for as a centerpiece in a Buchnevich trade. We're also sort of beyond the part of the rebuild where key guys should go for picks but depending on what the market was for the Oilers first I'm sure we could turn it into something useful.

Getting a top-4 LHD in a Buch trade would be great, but Fowler is making too much money to really be a fit. Plus I think the team intends to try and get someone who's a little more defensive minded who has some bite in his game.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Edmonton fans seem pretty high on Savoie. If they think he is a deal-breaker, then replace him with a less valuable asset.
Sure, switch Savoie to Benson or Marody and its a deal.

Rakell retained for Benson+1st+2nd

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Not enough for Buchnevich. Lundestrom isn’t a bad player, but I don’t see him being an improvement on Chytil, thus giving the Rangers no reason for it.

If Buchnevich isn’t sent to Buffalo for Eichel, I’d be willing to listen if Anaheim could offer something else worthwhile.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Edmonton can easily be swapped out here for whichever other teams would be willing to give up a 1st and a couple B assets for Rakell at 1.9M. Considered also using Manson for this portion of the trade.

If Buchnevich is available, he represents the type of player Anaheim needs to be looking into. He's proving he can produce and he's young enough to commit to long term. It's difficult to give up a young NHL center with upside in Lundestrom, but the Ducks top 6 could use at least one more sure thing.

From the Rangers side, I read a couple comments that a cheap young center who could slide into a 3C role, would represent at least one of your needs. Lundestrom is a strong and competitive, in the very least will round out as a solid character center. He's still sort of finding his identity on the offensive side, remains to be seen whether he can grow into top 6 type production. Sam Steel was another consideration but I thought Lundestrom offered more value at this point.

Again I was sort of operating under the notion that there might not be enough long term money to give Buchnevich a big extension, hence the offering of cheap young assets. But if its rather a case of the Rangers needing to spend that money on other needs (have read that a top four D upgrade would be one of them), would there would any chance that a Fowler/Buch trade could be possible?

since orig hope/expectation of Drury + 1st for not happening, Drury will play for Canes, then this is a worthwhile alternative

thumbs up OP

I would, howev, switch that from
2022 2nd and 2021 1st
to
2021 2nd and 2022 1s
instead
b'c 1sts this yr mostly suck ass

Chytil is 2C material w/1C upside and will be needed when we trade both of Strome + Zib relatively soon for cap reasons.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021
Rangers doesn’t have a front office yet, let alone a coach with everyone fired.

I think Rangers have bigger fish to fry than looking to trades in off season. So Rangers say no for that main purpose until they get everything established.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Yep. Oilers give to much up for 1 year of a player. We need to start keeping our picks. I guess the 50 % retention is suppose to mean everything for the deal, but the ask is too much.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

I think Rangers have bigger fish to fry than looking to trades in off season. So Rangers say no for that main purpose until they get everything established.

Drury has a lot on his plate, but he will absolutely be wheeling and dealing. Decisions have to be made on the long term plans for players like Zib and Buch, plus there's no way Dolan will be happy with the status quo. Even if no one had gotten fired, we would have seen a bunch of moves to reshape the roster to make the team harder to play against. Those moves still need to happen.

Reactions: bernmeister

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Seemed kinda expensive for Edmonton

I think something like
Rakell at 50%
For
1st + benson

and if we want buch we just deal with the rangers up front

Last edited:

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Some kind of extension needs to be pre-negotiated for Rakell. That's a lot for a rental.

Counter: Rakell @100% + 3rd for 1st + Benson.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York

The front office didn't get a shakeup in order to do nothing. That's what we're afraid of.

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
replace Lundestrom, w Groulx plus Colangelo ,and NYR maybe more tempted, seeking size along with skill

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Seemed kinda expensive for Edmonton

I think something like
Rakell at 50%
For
1st + benson

and if we want buch we just deal with the rangers up front

That seems very reasonable. Would love it if it happened on draft day.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Not sure why it’s so to understand that NYR is done trading for kids

they are going to deal some for bigger names

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Savoie's found money at this point, I'd have a hard time trading him in that deal.

1st+2nd is fine, but the prospect's going to be a sticking point. I'd do a guy like Blumel or Kesselring.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oooof. I'd want assurances he's extended.

But for some reason, I also want us to to keep that 1st so we can be "in" on Eichel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad