Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYR] Alexandar Georgiev signs extension (2 years, $2.425M AAV)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is Shestorkin exempted? Who would hit the games played requirement?

There is no games played requirement for goalies. We signed Kinkaid to a 2 year deal. He'll be the one exposed to Seattle.

So, they bought out Lundqvist to save $3M, and then immediately allocate $2.4M of that for Georgiev?

Regardless of the cap implications, someone had to go, and it made more sense to keep the 24 year old over the 38 year old.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He also has not yet played 20 games as an NHL goaltender. Lots of question marks. He looks great in net but he is unproven. We also do not know Georgiev's ceiling as he is only 24 and goaltenders usually hit their prime at 27. He may still end up with the starting job.

Not happening. He’s not good enough to be a starter. If for some reason Shestyorkin isn’t our starter in a few years, it’ll be someone not currently on the team.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think he’s good making the league minimum. Didn’t want to keep him beyond that. I think it’s pricy, but I expected worse. My expectations were that I’d take it as a good deal anything under 3.

Anzi

May 16, 2019
Boston
Shesterkin has only played a few games so far and has already had issues staying in the line up. For all we know Georgiev could get the bulk amount of the starts. This is a good deal.
There's very little reason to believe Shesterkin won't be able to stay in the lineup. He was out for a while because he got caught up in a car accident.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Can't tell if this guy is actually good or if he is purely a product of the NYR Goalie Factory?

Would sure be nice to develop a series of quality goalies from within your own franchise :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Can't tell if this guy is actually good or if he is purely a product of the NYR Goalie Factory?

Would sure be nice to develop a series of quality goalies from within your own franchise :oops: that sounds really nice.
He's pretty good. Not as good as Shesterkin but he's still good in his own right. Glad we kept him.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I think he’s good making the league minimum. Didn’t want to keep him beyond that. I think it’s pricy, but I expected worse. My expectations were that I’d take it as a good deal anything under 3.

He's roughly the 40th highest paid goalie in the NHL. Do you think he's worse than roughly the 40th best goalie in the NHL?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's roughly the 40th highest paid goalie in the NHL. Do you think he's worse than roughly the 40th best goalie in the NHL?

I think you missed my point. At this price, it's not bad, but I don't want to be paying my back up goalie anything significant. We have cap issues. Spend the money elsewhere. His production was pretty good as a back up making the league minimum. When he's a back up paid around where he should or slightly less, he's still a back up goalie taking up money that could go to a guy that will play over double the amount of games he will.

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I think you missed my point. At this price, it's not bad, but I don't want to be paying my back up goalie anything significant. We have cap issues. Spend the money elsewhere. His production was pretty good as a back up making the league minimum. When he's a back up paid around where he should or slightly less, he's still a back up goalie taking up money that could go to a guy that will play over double the amount of games he will.

I think you missed my point. If you would prefer to have the 60th best NHL goalie backing up and making league minimum, then you would prefer to not have someone not of Georgie's caliber.

I think that having a legit market rate 1B to go along with an ELC stud is a beneficial if not sick setup.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Shesterkin had a good....15-20 games. Steve Mason?? Hello??

Good contract as Georgiev is a serviceable 1B. Hopefully good in lockerroom to help Shesterkin development

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Shesterkin had a good....15-20 games. Steve Mason?? Hello??

Good contract as Georgiev is a serviceable 1B. Hopefully good in lockerroom to help Shesterkin development

What about Steve Mason? I don’t understand your point. Georgiyev will not be our starter long term, even if Shestyorkin is traded tomorrow.

And I’m sure Georgiyev loves that his spot was stolen by a player a month older than him. His answers haven’t given off that sense either that he’s going to be a good locker room back up to help Shestyorkin. Georgiyev’s a very confident guy, and I’m sure he’s not taken well to getting leapfrogged.

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019
What about Steve Mason? I don’t understand your point. Georgiyev will not be our starter long term, even if Shestyorkin is traded tomorrow.

And I’m sure Georgiyev loves that his spot was stolen by a player a month older than him. His answers haven’t given off that sense either that he’s going to be a good locker room back up to help Shestyorkin. Georgiyev’s a very confident guy, and I’m sure he’s not taken well to getting leapfrogged.

Steve Mason was rookie of the year, posting 10 shutouts in his rookie season, before fizzing out and becoming an average backup.

Just because Shesterkin looked great in a very small sample size does not mean hes going to become the goalie NYR need. Georgiev contract is good insurance

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Would sure be nice to develop a series of quality goalies from within your own franchise :oops:
Certainly Allaire helps, I’m not technically qualified to give a projection, but he was at TPS In Liiga for 4 years before coming over. Finland and TPS have good G track records. Helps that he seems extremely self aware and even keeled for a 24 yo. Somehow he fell between the scouting cracks during his draft year

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
So, they bought out Lundqvist to save $3M, and then immediately allocate $2.4M of that for Georgiev?

Is what it is. Never thought he was anything special. Georgiev will either look like Dominik Hasek or Brian Elliot, with no in between. Either lets up 1 goal, or is good for 5 or 6 against.
But if they didn't buyout Lundqvist, they still needed to allocate money to Georgiev on top of the 8.5 cap hit Lundqvist carries, which would have been a bad situation for the cap. I suppose they could have traded Georgiev, but trading him for a second doesn't help us.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Steve Mason was rookie of the year, posting 10 shutouts in his rookie season, before fizzing out and becoming an average backup.

Just because Shesterkin looked great in a very small sample size does not mean hes going to become the goalie NYR need. Georgiev contract is good insurance
I understand the "KHL isn't the NHL" argument, but we've seen this goalie shine for quite a long time now. He put up great numbers in the AHL before being called up. Again, "sample size (25 games)", but the track record shows he should be a good goalie in the NHL, even if he doesn't reach our expectations of being an elite, top goalie.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

You are right. And the same could happen with Cale Makar, could happen with Quinn Hughes, and it could happen with Adam Fox. It could happen with any player.

Georgiyev though will not be a starter caliber of player in case Shestyorkin isn't the Rangers starter in a few years for one reason or another. The point I made about Georgiyev's contract stands. I don't think players of Georgiyev's caliber are all that helpful, unless they are on ELC's. Unless we are talking about a real starter caliber of goaltender, I think it's wasting money on the salary cap to be paying them anything beyond the minimum. There are so many goalies that can be signed for close to the minimum or the minimum, and the average ones tend to have volatile numbers from season to season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->