Proposal: Nyquist to the Flames

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Right now, Nyquist makes no sense for Calgary. I'd also say that Calgary makes no sense to Nyquist right now either. He has a full NTC. If he's waiving this early in the year, it'll be to a legit contender.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Huge pass, wouldn't make the deal for Bennett alone and wouldn't make the deal for the picks alone so certainly not combining both.

As mentioned Nyqvist doesn't fit a need and certainly not at his cost. The Flames could use another top 6 forward so they can move Backlund down to the 3rd line and create 3 very good lines, but they need to first see if Lindholm can be a full time center before moving for anyone and personally I would like to try Bennett in that spot first before giving up big pieces to fill the spot.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Right now, Nyquist makes no sense for Calgary. I'd also say that Calgary makes no sense to Nyquist right now either. He has a full NTC. If he's waiving this early in the year, it'll be to a legit contender.

I could be wrong but Nyquist doesn't strike me as that type of hard line person. Calgary ain't some disaster, they have a good core and could conceivably make a playoff run. He has some familiarity with Bill Peters. Not like Nyquist is some superstar who GM's of top teams would give their left nut to have. If he's holds out for that, there's a good chance he'll be finishing out his contract in Detroit

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Is this a joke?

-Nyquist is a small, high skill player. The Flames have a systemic abundance of those between Gaudreau, Czarnik, Ryan, Dube, Mangiapane, Phillips, and Zavgorodny. They also have some guys who are on the soft side in Monahan and Lindholm in their top six. They just got rid of Hunter Shinkaruk for a similarly talented Kirby Rychel because of how redundant Shinkaruk became in their system. Not only is Bennett just as or more skilled than Nyquist, he's younger, cheaper, under team control longer, bigger and more physical, has comparable edgework, probably faster, and significantly more versatile. He's simply more valuable than Nyquist as-is. When it comes to value, if Larkin and Bennett were to swap places in terms of opportunity, Larkin would be putting up Bennett numbers and Bennett would be exceeding Larkin's numbers, quote me on that. That's the kind of value Detroit would need to offer to get a conversation started.

- Even pretending they were to trade away Bennett, the Calgary Flames have the following left shot forwards who would play ahead of him on the first PP:

Tkachuk
Gaudreau
Monahan

and the following left shot forwards who would play ahead of him on the second PP:

Backlund
Neal
(Bennett)
Jankowski

and still yet, have left shot forwards who provide better versatility, more two-way potential, and lower cap hits
Dube
Frolik
Mangiapane

- Now back to Nyquist's contract, he is a nearly five million dollar pending UFA. Which the Flames cannot afford to re-sign to term anyways even at the same cap hit, and if they could, they'd be far better off spending it on a better UFA, like Micheal Ferland.

- And finally, on top of all that, you want Calgary to add draft picks?

Preposterous.

Lindholm isn’t soft

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Is this a joke?

-Nyquist is a small, high skill player. The Flames have a systemic abundance of those between Gaudreau, Czarnik, Ryan, Dube, Mangiapane, Phillips, and Zavgorodny. They also have some guys who are on the soft side in Monahan and Lindholm in their top six. They just got rid of Hunter Shinkaruk for a similarly talented Kirby Rychel because of how redundant Shinkaruk became in their system. Not only is Bennett just as or more skilled than Nyquist, he's younger, cheaper, under team control longer, bigger and more physical, has comparable edgework, probably faster, and significantly more versatile. He's simply more valuable than Nyquist as-is. When it comes to value, if Larkin and Bennett were to swap places in terms of opportunity, Larkin would be putting up Bennett numbers and Bennett would be exceeding Larkin's numbers, quote me on that. That's the kind of value Detroit would need to offer to get a conversation started.

The biggest joke is how you are overrating Bennett...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->