Recalled/Assigned: Nyquist recalled

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
I guess what I was trying to say in my earlier posts was that I didn't really think Nyquist played well, or even decent, in his first call-up game. I will say I thought he looked good last year and deserved to play in all the games he did and on Datsyuk's line.

He was alright, but the team was generating nothing, and he wasn't doing a whole lot. Dropping him to the bottom 6 gives them a player who has more offensive skill, and moving Cleary up gives the top 6 more grit than Nyquist brings. Maybe Babcock should try moving Miller up instead of Cleary? He has done that in the past too. I think it is more about trying to balance the lines and get something going rather than punishing the young guy for not scoring a goal immediately.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I guess what I was trying to say in my earlier posts was that I didn't really think Nyquist played well, or even decent, in his first call-up game. I will say I thought he looked good last year and deserved to play in all the games he did and on Datsyuk's line.

He was alright, but the team was generating nothing, and he wasn't doing a whole lot. Dropping him to the bottom 6 gives them a player who has more offensive skill, and moving Cleary up gives the top 6 more grit than Nyquist brings. Maybe Babcock should try moving Miller up instead of Cleary? He has done that in the past too. I think it is more about trying to balance the lines and get something going rather than punishing the young guy for not scoring a goal immediately.

perhaps that has something to do with the fact that he only got a couple shifts on a scoring line before immediately being demoted?

the fact that he got 11:42 of ice time in a game he started out on a scoring line really says a lot about just how ridiculously impatient Babcock was with him that game

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
One of the criticisms of the Wings recent prospect development that's starting to build in my mind is that there seems to be an unfair attitude for scoring prospects. It's a lot like this: you're either Zetterberg/Datsyuk or you're a grinder. If you're not Zetterberg or Datsyuk or a grinder, you're in the AHL.

Of course, the problem is that we have a fair amount of prospects who won't be key guys, but won't be grinders either. That doesn't mean the team should treat them like they're not ready to go yet. That's extremely poor preparation for the days when Z/D will not be all-stars.

Unless... the Wings are prepared to tank when Z/D can't carry the team anymore. It would be sort of the opposite of the Oilers' rebuild. The Oilers have all skill and no depth. The Wings would have all depth and no skill. But if you have 2-3 high draft picks, you can be right back in the mix again because you already have the supporting cast for those young stars.

Iowa Wingsfan

Jan 9, 2012
You'll take Danny Cleary for the full 2 minutes and you'll like it.

This made me smile. So wrong that it is right. Or something like that. Can't stop typing short sentances. Maybe the Wings will win tonight. I hope so. Tired of the bi-polar act. Be good or suck. A little consistency would be welcome.

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
I am glad to see Gustav get a chance to play. That being said Betuzzi is a better NHL player at this point (assuming he was healthy and his usual self) than Gustav is.

CloneHakanPlease*

I am glad to see Gustav get a chance to play. That being said Betuzzi is a better NHL player at this point (assuming he was healthy and his usual self) than Gustav is.

No he isn't. The only reason to have Bertuzzi in over him is his size.

Nyquist is a better player than Cleary too, as well as all of our bottom 6 (notice I said better, not more needed), but I won't include them since we need PKers. We need players to fill roles, but there is no reason at least one of Tatar or Nyquist should not be in our top 12 forwards, given our abundance of nothing players.

Last edited by a moderator:

college hockey

Jun 8, 2004
Maine
I know the Wings in general weren't too great in that game, but he played almost 3 minutes on the powerplay and started on Datsyuk's line. Babcock gave him a chance to play some good minutes, play on the powerplay, etc... and he didn't do a lot with that opportunity. He did the same thing with Tatar, and Tatar actually looked better (IMO) with the 3rd line than he did on Datsyuk's line. Nyquist just wasn't very effective that one game and was easy to knock off the puck, from what I remember. He did generate one very good scoring chance, but he was invisible the rest of the game.

I get wanting to see the young guys and playing them is only going to give them the experience to improve, but at some point the coach has to take something that isn't working and make changes to get it going. Nyquist wasn't really working too well, as disappointing as it sounds to type it out, despite playing well and even getting into a playoff game last year. Hopefully he took the demotion and the "benching" and seeing Tatar/Andersson getting the next calls over him as an opportunity to have a better showing the next chance he is given. We'll see how he responds. As a rookie player who can pass freely between the AHL and NHL, he is owed nothing. Kreider is learning that with the NYR now, too.
You're a fool just like flymind.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site
You're a fool just like flymind.

Because I point out that despite being "benched" Nyquist played almost 3 minutes on the powerplay and looked out of place on Datsyuk's line as a rookie and suggest that he should earn a spot on the team as opposed to being promoted directly to a scoring line and used in that role until it (hopefully) works?

Last year when Nyquist was playing well on a scoring line, it was Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist, right? Franzen is more of a shooter and Datsyuk and Nyquist are more play makers. This year in his first call up, Babcock played Nyquist with Datsyuk and Filppula, none of whom are really shoot first and like to carry the puck and make plays more than anything, when the other scoring line was Franzen - Z - Brunner who are the three guys who shoot the most on the team. Maybe Babcock should shuffle those guys around rather then just moving Cleary/Bert to Datsyuk's line. Like Filppula with Z again, and Mule with Datsyuk when they are healthy.

I can see complaining about Cleary being used on Datsyuk's line over Nyquist, and how his crappy play and ineffectiveness should cause him to be demoted and a "better" player (like Nyquist) should be used on that line, but despite being more skilled, they are completely different players. Nyquist isn't really going to the net and battling to knock in loose pucks and screen the goalie, which is what Cleary is asked to do. If the powerplay unit was Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Nyquist with Kronwall-Brunner on the point, who would be at the net? You would have guys all around the perimeter and the penalty kill clogging up the middle and letting the Wings pass it to each other. Comparing Nyquist and Cleary on a scoring line/powerplay role is apples and oranges, Babcock isn't asking Cleary to play with Nyquist's skill and hoping to generate offense in the bottom 6, like Tatar has been doing the last few games.

Essentially, I am saying maybe the Wings need better secondary players than Cleary to be the big body, net presence player on scoring lines, maybe try Miller there to mix it up or hopefully Samuelsson can do something. Nyquist wasn't really working, though, it doesn't have to take a whole game for a coach to figure it out.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Essentially, I am saying maybe the Wings need better secondary players than Cleary to be the big body, net presence player on scoring lines, maybe try Miller there to mix it up or hopefully Samuelsson can do something. Nyquist wasn't really working, though, it doesn't have to take a whole game for a coach to figure it out.

Yeah, Miller should be worth to try. He has a lot faster legs than current Cleary and can make screens. I really don't know about Samuelsson, I don't remember him ever being any kind of net-front player.

I just hope that the Flyers could have their injured players back and be forced to waive Knuble, so we could sneak him back for free. He is now in good game shape (11 games under his belt, scored 2+3=5), and would be instant help for the net presence.

CloneHakanPlease*

Unless... the Wings are prepared to tank when Z/D can't carry the team anymore. It would be sort of the opposite of the Oilers' rebuild. The Oilers have all skill and no depth. The Wings would have all depth and no skill. But if you have 2-3 high draft picks, you can be right back in the mix again because you already have the supporting cast for those young stars.

If thats the case I'd be extremely disappointed. Good depth players are available every offseason. Franchise players arent

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Yeah, Miller should be worth to try. He has a lot faster legs than current Cleary and can make screens. I really don't know about Samuelsson, I don't remember him ever being any kind of net-front player.

I just hope that the Flyers could have their injured players back and be forced to waive Knuble, so we could sneak him back for free. He is now in good game shape (11 games under his belt, scored 2+3=5), and would be instant help for the net presence.

It'll never happen but I'd like to see Sheahan brought up. Since he wouldn't play center and he'd be with two playmakers/good defensive forwards he'd be the big body who could get net front and stay there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I want people on scoring lines who have skill or can score. Miller is 0/2 in that regard.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
You knew they weren't going to send Cleary to GR.

What did people really think would happen when they needed an open roster spot?

CloneHakanPlease*

You knew they weren't going to send Cleary to GR.

What did people really think would happen when they needed an open roster spot?

Adapt to the situation at hand, but alas that is my fault for expecting something that hasn't been happening lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad