Nyquist Outlook for 2016

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
Hi Wings fans,
Any thoughts on how you think Nyquist will do this year production wise? He seemed to regress last year and I'm wondering if you think that was a blip or the new norm.

Also, any stat experts who know how his Corsi or other advanced stats looked last year compared to previous years. I'm wondering if he had bad luck with teammates shooting percentage or anything else to explain the dip.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Hi Wings fans,
Any thoughts on how you think Nyquist will do this year production wise? He seemed to regress last year and I'm wondering if you think that was a blip or the new norm.

Also, any stat experts who know how his Corsi or other advanced stats looked last year compared to previous years. I'm wondering if he had bad luck with teammates shooting percentage or anything else to explain the dip.
I think he will have a solid bounce-back year, I expect 25+ goals and 50+ points. A major reason for his regression last year was diminished opportunity as Larkin/Richards/Green took icetime from him on both 5-on-5 and PP. He got over a minute less TOI/GP last season compared to the two seasons before.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
I think he will have a solid bounce-back year, I expect 25+ goals and 50+ points. A major reason for his regression last year was diminished opportunity as Larkin/Richards/Green took icetime from him on both 5-on-5 and PP. He got over a minute less TOI/GP last season compared to the two seasons before.

There were many reasons for his regression.. coaching was a major factor. When every single offensive forward regresses offensively, that's a serious problem.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think he put on weight last off season too, and it definitely diminished his skating some, which is a big part of his offensive game. Hopefully he can get his explosiveness back next season. Wings ever figure out a way to get a D that can make an outlet pass and teams are going to have serious issues with this forward group. AA, Larkin, Nyquist, Helm, Nielson, Mantha, Glenny, etc. should kill other teams in terms of oddman rushes. Really the only slow forwards we have are Vanek and Z. Everyone else is either great or above average I'd say.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Hi Wings fans,

The poor PP had a lot to do with it. Two years ago he had a ton of success playing in the middle of the 3 in a 1-3-1 set up, which we seemed to go away from last year.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hi Wings fans,

I think he will rebound, but his goal-scoring luck was extra-ordinary on his first season.

He should hit 50-point mark. More assist-weighted.

A lot depends of the PP, how good he can run it as the second best playmaker now Datsyuk gone.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I think he put on weight last off season too, and it definitely diminished his skating some, which is a big part of his offensive game. Hopefully he can get his explosiveness back next season. Wings ever figure out a way to get a D that can make an outlet pass and teams are going to have serious issues with this forward group. AA, Larkin, Nyquist, Helm, Nielson, Mantha, Glenny, etc. should kill other teams in terms of oddman rushes. Really the only slow forwards we have are Vanek and Z. Everyone else is either great or above average I'd say.

You nailed it. The outlet passes have got to improve to get any improvement out of our forwards

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I feel confident that he will go around 20/40 again. He returned to being the passenger instead of the driver. Its really up to Nyquist if he wants to be better. More of a mental thing, than an actual block to being good.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I mostly agree with this take. I would like for Tatar and Nyquist to have an expanded role, as I think they are probably top 5 offensive players on this team. Would like to see their IT reflect that.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I think that a lot of people put the blame on Nyquist. I think the issue is that teams started planning for him.

Then change up your game. And that's pretty ridiculous (and not). A 27-28 pretty much 30) goal scorer drops to 17? They didn't care about him when he scored 27 and not on his way to 28

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The entire team regressed this past season, Nyquist will be fine. I think he will have a 50 point season. Wouldn't surprise me to see Nyquist around 28g 27a for 55p or something around there like what he had in the 2014/15 season.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
I'm not sure I see a path for Nyquist to get more IT than he had last year, and I don't see any indication he's going to be much different of a player now than he's been for 90% of his pro career. He's a ~20 goal, ~45 assist guy best used in a complimentary middle 6 offensive role.

He was 4th on the team in points last year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him come in at 5th or 6th this year. If Vanek takes off, or Tatar takes off, or AA takes off, Nyquist is the first guy who is going to start getting his role whittled.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not sure I see a path for Nyquist to get more IT than he had last year, and I don't see any indication he's going to be much different of a player now than he's been for 90% of his pro career. He's a ~20 goal, ~45 assist guy best used in a complimentary middle 6 offensive role.

He was 4th on the team in points last year and it wouldn't surprise me to see him come in at 5th or 6th this year. If Vanek takes off, or Tatar takes off, or AA takes off, Nyquist is the first guy who is going to start getting his role whittled.

Nyquist would be the first to get his role whittled? That's weird, because he's played more minutes than Tatar every single season of their careers so far.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
Nyquist would be the first to get his role whittled? That's weird, because he's played more minutes than Tatar every single season of their careers so far.

Has that gap widened, or narrowed?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Wouldn't bother me if both Tatar and Nyquist were partnered with Larkin on the 2nd line. I think that would be a pretty solid line. Though i think one will be on the 1st line and the other on the 2nd line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad