Nyquist out up to 6 months

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Like.....wait......what?????
Shoulder surgery?!?!
From doing what?!?!?
Does Josh Anderson have a Gus Nyquist voodoo doll?!?
How did this happen??
When did this happen??!?!
Why did he wait for two months of off-season to go under the knife?!
Did Gus get assigned Ryan Murray’s locker stall??

So many questions...so few details.

Reactions: Halfboard

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Shoulder surgery?!?!
From doing what?!?!?
How did this happen??

A lot of the players likely are holding off on getting surgery until they have a firm date for when the season starts.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
  • Nyquist on LTIR could open the door to a 1 year Granlund contract, but it's debatable as far as needs go. Bemstrom and / or Foudy currently have no space on the roster and this opens the door for one of them to make the team for a couple months. It also might mean Grigorenko is more likely to get a top 9 job (which his backers assert is where he belongs) and one of Stenlund or MacInnis would make the team and avoid being lost to waivers. I'm not opposed to signing Granlund though, he is a more natural playmaker than Nyquist and should be a better 5v5 player. Nyquist was a good PP bumper guy for us, I'm not sure who replaces that.

• As for why this surgery is happening now and not in September - Nyquist is far from alone in getting surgery well into the offseason. Last I heard, Oscar Klefbom is still considering it. Josh Anderson didn't get surgery until long after he went on the shelf last season. As I understand it, players try to avoid surgeries which pose some risks and which obviously prevent them from training. Going through a rehab process is preferred, but they often don't know whether the rehab is working until months into the process.

• Long term this makes me a bit more hopeful for Gus Nyquist. He had lost velocity on his shot and his quickness to get shots off is slower, and all of that is consistent with someone who has lost confidence and / or was dealing with pain and discomfort. His goals totals have come down markedly, just 5 5v5 goals this year. He had a lot of empty netters to give him a respectable 15 goals total, but the underlying contribution was much more worrisome than that. If he can get his old shot back it would be huge.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
  • Nyquist on LTIR could open the door to a 1 year Granlund contract, but it's debatable as far as needs go. Bemstrom and / or Foudy currently have no space on the roster and this opens the door for one of them to make the team for a couple months. It also might mean Grigorenko is more likely to get a top 9 job (which his backers assert is where he belongs) and one of Stenlund or MacInnis would make the team and avoid being lost to waivers. I'm not opposed to signing Granlund though, he is a more natural playmaker than Nyquist and should be a better 5v5 player. Nyquist was a good PP bumper guy for us, I'm not sure who replaces that.
  • As for why this surgery is happening now and not in September - Nyquist is far from alone in getting surgery well into the offseason. Last I heard, Oscar Klefbom is still considering it. Josh Anderson didn't get surgery until long after he went on the shelf last season. As I understand it, players try to avoid surgeries which pose some risks and which obviously prevent them from training. Going through a rehab process is preferred, but they often don't know whether the rehab is working until months into the process.

• Long term this makes me a bit more hopeful for Gus Nyquist. He had lost velocity on his shot and his quickness to get shots off is slower, and all of that is consistent with someone who has lost confidence and / or was dealing with pain and discomfort. His goals totals have come down markedly, just 5 5v5 goals this year. He had a lot of empty netters to give him a respectable 15 goals total, but the underlying contribution was much more worrisome than that. If he can get his old shot back it would be huge.
plus its harder to get in for elective surgery now, I think I remember hearing Seguin had to wait awhile even though he knew he needed it

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Shoulder surgery?!?!
From doing what?!?!?
How did this happen??

Apparently this has been an issue for years.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Hey Gus, see you LTIR
Not knowing the season schedule at this point we are talking May 1 at the end of the 6 months. That is probably going to be the entire season at the point. They can't really go deep into the summer again if they ever want to get the seasons back to a normal schedule.

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
JPM

tenor.gif

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not knowing the season schedule at this point we are talking May 1 at the end of the 6 months. That is probably going to be the entire season at the point. They can't really go deep into the summer again if they ever want to get the seasons back to a normal schedule.

It's hard to tell at this point, when we still don't know the timetable for a vaccine coming out, but regardless there is a strong incentive for the league to squeeze in as many televised games as they can, and I think they'll stretch the season further again to do that. My guess is that their main practical deadline is that they need to finish the playoffs before the Tokyo Olympics in late July. That means running a "regular season" (whatever that might look like) late, perhaps from late January until the end of May, with 7-8 weeks left for playoffs. That's enough for a 60 game regular season. Gus is supposedly out until 5-6 months from now (I say it's important to repeat the actual estimated recovery time, and not just assume it will be 6 months). So he could be back for a month or two of games.

I don't think "getting back to a normal schedule" is on the front burner, but in any case they could award the cup on July 20th and begin the season again in October without difficulty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

This cracks me up, kudos.

My more serious take is that we should maybe lower expectations for what he should do with his money. It's worth being grateful that he's willing to burn ~$20m on the Jackets this year, and not be so pissed that he won't make it $30m (if indeed he is the limiting factor on spending it, Jarmo ain't tellin').

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
As someone who had this exact same surgery (labral tear & Cyst) done in late May, see you in a long while Gus. My arm still sucks.
Good luck.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
As someone who had this exact same surgery (labral tear & Cyst) done in late May, see you in a long while Gus. My arm still sucks.
Good luck.

That sucks :(

If Gus's hand works after 6 months, he should be able to join the playoffs.

From what I've seen, pretty much all players in the playoffs are so stacked with medicine and pain killers that the actual pain should not be a problem as long as his arm somewhat works...

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
That sucks :(

If Gus's hand works after 6 months, he should be able to join the playoffs.

From what I've seen, pretty much all players in the playoffs are so stacked with medicine and pain killers that the actual pain should not be a problem as long as his arm somewhat works...
It's not just a pain issue, but a general lack of strength. Obviously everyone is different, but the loss of arm strength is very noticeable. Hopefully it goes well for him.

I'm pretty sure he will have world class care so I imagine he will be ok, but it's a tough surgery for anyone, let alone a professional hockey player and the demands of being such.

I'll be rooting for him.

Reactions: Aurinko

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Granlund signing incoming

I might be *bit* biased, but I might have a secret left winger for you friends...

Unlike Granny, Erik Haula actually has a elite shot (12,7% career season average vs. 10,2%). Haula's on-ice statistics are also comparable to Granlunds: Erik Haula NHL Advanced Statistics (Power Play) | Hockey-Reference.com In fact, it is a hard to find any player that has better on-ice metrics than Haula in powerplay and penalty kill (oiGF/60, oiGA/60).

Reactions: CPTN71

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I might be *bit* biased, but I might have a secret left winger for you friends...

Unlike Granny, Erik Haula actually has a elite shot (12,7% career season average vs. 10,2%). Haula's on-ice statistics are also comparable to Granlunds: Erik Haula NHL Advanced Statistics (Power Play) | Hockey-Reference.com In fact, it is a hard to find any player that has better on-ice metrics than Haula in powerplay and penalty kill (oiGF/60, oiGA/60).
can also play any forward position but he never really was given first line chance in his career like Granlund was so Granlund still feel like a safer bet for most people even if I like haula too.
anyway with all the money on ltir they could just sign hoffman but I doubt he's interested and he's useless outside pp really.

still suck for gus. he played pretty well in the system

Last edited:
Reactions: Aurinko

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Absent any further signings, Nyquist's injury means that for part of the season one of Grigorenko/Foudy/Bemstrom will have to elevate to a top 9 wing job. That doesn't sound bad at all.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

pled

Sep 7, 2009
Absent any further signings, Nyquist's injury means that for part of the season one of Grigorenko/Foudy/Bemstrom will have to elevate to a top 9 wing job. That doesn't sound bad at all.
im pretty sure everyone expect the team to get another forward via ufa or trade. also did you forget my man STEN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->