nyquist contract

Soft Rock Renegade

May 17, 2012
latest khan article says they're talking one or two year contracts and that they differ on money for two years, though nyquist would prefer a 2 year deal. my question to those of you who know the CBA better than i do: is he still RFA after a one or two year contract?

also, my guess, for the hell of it:
nyquist wants 2x1.5

detroit has offered 1x950k or 2x1.2

1st Line Interloper

Will Drop the Gloves
May 4, 2013
latest khan article says they're talking one or two year contracts and that they differ on money for two years, though nyquist would prefer a 2 year deal. my question to those of you who know the CBA better than i do: is he still RFA after a one or two year contract?

also, my guess, for the hell of it:
nyquist wants 2x1.5

detroit has offered 1x950k or 2x1.2

To my knowledge he would be, just like Smith and Andersson are still RFA's after their contracts expire.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
he would still be an RFA at the end of his contract even if it was 3 years

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
If they're offering a 1 year deal, you have to think one of Nyquist/Tatar is going to be shipped out at some point. Both contracts would expire at the same time. That's the only thing I can think of because it really doesn't make sense to give him 1 year. He's proven he has NHL level talent, why pay more for him later when he actually produces instead of "buying low" now?

Detroit Sports*

I don't get why we don't like Tatar but love Cleary. Also can someone explain the Sammy situation to me? He can't be bought out or waived?

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
You guys realize we have very little cap space. If we sign him to a one year deal compared to a two year deal we'll save about $300k and that may be the difference in keeping DeKeyser up in the NHL or sending him to the AHL.

Detroit Sports*

You guys realize we have very little cap space. If we sign him to a one year deal compared to a two year deal we'll save about $300k and that may be the difference in keeping DeKeyser up in the NHL or sending him to the AHL.

How did we go from having so much cap space last year to almost none? I know the cap is going down but what else? We lost Flip and Brunner. Got Alfie and Weiss what else caused our cap concerns?

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
How did we go from having so much cap space last year to almost none? I know the cap is going down but what else? We lost Flip and Brunner. Got Alfie and Weiss what else caused our cap concerns?

Howard got a raise of 3.25 million dollars
Kindl got a raise of 1.52 million
Weiss makes 1.9 million more than Flip did last year.
Alfredsson makes 4.15 million more than Brunner did.

That's just under 11 million more than last year just in those 4 moves.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
If they're offering a 1 year deal, you have to think one of Nyquist/Tatar is going to be shipped out at some point. Both contracts would expire at the same time. That's the only thing I can think of because it really doesn't make sense to give him 1 year. He's proven he has NHL level talent, why pay more for him later when he actually produces instead of "buying low" now?

I think the idea is that if we give him 1 year we can low ball him because there's only so much better he can get (especially if he's in the bottom 6) but if we give him 2 years, he'll earn a top 6 slotting (especially after the Bert, Sammy and Alfie contracts expire) and then when he produces like a top-6er we'll have to pay him more. It's a little shady, but I understand the team's reasoning. Also, we do pay our players so it's hard for them to not be given the benefit of the doubt in their own minds... But Nyquist has to think of himself first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad