Friedman: Nylander XIII - Officially on the block, per Friedman (ALL NYLANDER TALK HERE)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'd like to see NYR offer sheet him for 5 years 7.5 mill, give up 1st 2nd and a 3rd. If they get him, great its not likely you get that good of a player out of those three picks,if they match then you have weakened a conference rivals chances of keeping all their players on the team.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Dont try and force some crap narrative Im not arguing against, nobody said Toronto has to get scraps.

Ill just end that here, neither of you two have rebuttled with any actual reasoning as to how Nylander sitting isnt a massive deal. Ill leave you two to be unaware
By saying "the Leafs must trade him if they can't sign him", you are basically saying they have to accept the best of whatever is offered. I am telling you that is incorrect, if a deal is offered that works for Toronto? Sure, they may move him. If not? They won't.

It's November 6th...i guess your reasoning is why the Jets traded Trouba before he signed with his new team....on November 7th.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
If you think a player, bound by an RFA contract that a simple qualifying offer (that doesnt even need to be accepted) keeps them stuck for a year, pay or no pay, and no option out other than signing for less than they think theyre worth - isnt forcing them to stay, then idk what to tell you.

Only the NHL has such a strict RFA process and the longest RFA timeline by a lot. This will change come next CBA, and if Nylander is sat out (name me another high calibur RFA left to sit a year) - all hell will break loose for the CBA negotiations.

You thinking this is complete nonsense just tells me you have no real understanding of how union contract negotiations work
The NHL is the only one with such strict RFA process? MLB players make significantly less money when the enter the league then NHL players. That is a league that is truly screwing it's young players. William Nylander being offered 6 million a year long term at 22 years old is the farthest thing in the world from what you seem to think is happening. You seem to be living in some kind of fantasy land....Nylander is choosing to sit. Nobody is forcing him to miss games or potentially miss the entire season. His agent also has had the ability to go out and solicit offer sheets from any of the other 30 NHL teams and negotiate a fair deal with Toronto. He isn't entitled to whatever the hell he deems his worth....Like I said the entire premise of what you are saying is complete and utter non sense. Just on the basis of you making it seem like Nylander is being "forced" into anything. He is 100% not being forced to sit out. There is nothing you can say to back that up other then baseless speculation. You also seem to be on a train all on your own on this thing over RFA right seemingly being so unfair to players as that hasn't been discussed as an issue for the PA what so ever. Try again next time.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
Nylander + Gardiner (UFA) + Bracco
for
Simmond(UFA) + Sanheim + Frost + 2nd

Don't know enough about Frost, not sure if he is a no go? figured Dubas would be all about him.

Hyman - Matthews - Kapanen
Simmonds - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Lindholm
Leivo - Gauthier - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Sanheim - Zeitsev
Dermott - Ozhiganov

Most Leaf fans want the homerun RHD in a deal though.

I'm a Leaf fan and say Hell to this deal! Simmonds is a power forward on the down side of his career at 30 years old. PF abuse their bodies and tend to breakdown even faster than usual. I'd rather let him sit in the KHL and rot than trade him for that package. Terrible!

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
The NHL is the only one with such strict RFA process? MLB players make significantly less money when the enter the league then NHL players. That is a league that is truly screwing it's young players. William Nylander being offered 6 million a year long term at 22 years old is the farthest thing in the world from what you seem to think is happening. You seem to be living in some kind of fantasy land....Nylander is choosing to sit. Nobody is forcing him to miss games or potentially miss the entire season. His agent also has had the ability to go out and solicit offer sheets from any of the other 30 NHL teams and negotiate a fair deal with Toronto. He isn't entitled to whatever the hell he deems his worth....Like I said the entire premise of what you are saying is complete and utter non sense. Just on the basis of you making it seem like Nylander is being "forced" into anything. He is 100% not being forced to sit out. There is nothing you can say to back that up other then baseless speculation. You also seem to be on a train all on your own on this thing over RFA right seemingly being so unfair to players as that hasn't been discussed as an issue for the PA what so ever. Try again next time.

mlb has no salary cap, and top players make $30+M ...they also have much larger rosters.
the high end talent makes big money earlier than NHL players. its the average players that balance the salaries on the lower end
current ave for MLB is $4.5m
min salary for mlb is also 100K lower than NHL

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'd like to see NYR offer sheet him for 5 years 7.5 mill, give up 1st 2nd and a 3rd. If they get him, great its not likely you get that good of a player out of those three picks,if they match then you have weakened a conference rivals chances of keeping all their players on the team.

if we accept the contract we cant trade him for 1 year, so we keep him this season then work on trading him next when our cap jam is. We can pay Nylander $13M if it was just for this one year, your plan here isn't going to hurt the leafs as much as you think it will. If you are willing to have Nylander at that price for 5 years its likely that other teams will too so its not like that is going to cripple his trade value either. It could backfire so bad that Nylander ends up in your division playing against you regularly

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Rangers can't. They'd have to move like ~6M in salary first, no capspace.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
And when was the last big name RFA to be heldout for an entire season?

Do you get how something of this magnitude would affect everyone in the league? The league with the strictest RFA length and rules of any pro league?

Giordano.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
if we accept the contract we cant trade him for 1 year, so we keep him this season then work on trading him next when our cap jam is. We can pay Nylander $13M if it was just for this one year, your plan here isn't going to hurt the leafs as much as you think it will. If you are willing to have Nylander at that price for 5 years its likely that other teams will too so its not like that is going to cripple his trade value either. It could backfire so bad that Nylander ends up in your division playing against you regularly

It cant backfire on the Rangers, he's not McDavid. The reason it would make sense for the rangers is they are in a rebuild with the fewest players signed to contracts in the league after this year. They could technically go to the limit on the offer sheet without going above the 1st, 2nd and 3rd compensation I believe it's just above 8 million. If toronto matches it then you offer sheet Marner or Matthew's next year just for fun to drive the price up. I only wish GM's were this cut throat but none of this will happen even if I want it to.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
What do you mean he sits? Dubas is not going to let Nylander sit for a year lmao

If you seriously think Nylander will sit then I think you far underestimate the power of the Players union and the affects this would have on every team in the league. Dubas and the Leafs would become instant villains and likely would be a top contributer to a holdout, if one arose.

Nylander WILL be signed or traded by the deadline and if he isnt - it will not be pretty for everyone involved

All Nylander stuff aside, you seriously think the players' union is powerful? Bettman has steamrolled them at every opportunity. They have zero "power" and certainly won't be affecting RFA signings.

Reactions: TML1990

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
No they dont have to pay what hes demanding

But again, im not going to get into an in-depth conversation right now as to how letting him sit a year would be one of the dirtiest moves by a GM in a long time, as well as a stepping stone for a holdout on the next CBA.

Why would players and agents ever agree to a CBA that allows GMs to bully players into missing entire seasons, just because theyre RFA.

Contractually speaking, it looks very bad on Toronto and Dubas if they let this go past the deadline. Very very bad

It works both ways. Leafs are under pressure to do something by Dec 1st or else they have an asset that isn't contributing anything for them this year, and the odds increase that he'll never play for the team again.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It cant backfire on the Rangers, he's not McDavid. The reason it would make sense for the rangers is they are in a rebuild with the fewest players signed to contracts in the league after this year. They could technically go to the limit on the offer sheet without going above the 1st, 2nd and 3rd compensation I believe it's just above 8 million. If toronto matches it then you offer sheet Marner or Matthew's next year just for fun to drive the price up. I only wish GM's were this cut throat but none of this will happen even if I want it to.

and we trade Nylander at the draft before the other 2 become RFA's and therefore negate any cap "hell", also an offersheet only works if the player signs it. There is no sense the leafs wont be offering Matthews at least JT money and Marner well we don't what he will be worth yet but a great season and an offersheet wont be over the top anyway and we'd match. The point is offersheeting Nylander puts very little pressure on the leafs we can trade him following this season then deal with Matthews and Marner

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
It's amazing that Nylander is a $8.5 million player and Dubas is lowballing him but isn't worth more than lower end middle pairing defenceman. This thread blows my mind.
It's also amazing that Matthews isn't a top 30 centre in the NHL but is going to sign for $16 million minimum.
HFB is priceless, never change!

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Totally forgot that. Wow, good call.

I mean it's a little different of a situation but he was a player who left during his RFA years to go play in Russia for the year.

If anyone thinks that Nylander will be a martyr for the players union or help the players rise up, they are not thinking logically. Nylander is looking out for himself and the Leafs are looking out for themselves. If no deal can be made and no good trade offers come through he'll sit for the year or more accurately he'll end up playing in Europe.

What I find funny is people siding with the player over Toronto saying that players should have more rights and more freedoms to sign where they want. You know which team would really like that and take full advantage of it? The Toronto Maple Leafs that's who. The RFA rules are largely put in place to help small market teams hold onto talent for a set amount of time.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
So the Leafs....trade Nylander due to not having the cap to sign him...for Reinhart...a center (when we have Matthews/Tavares/Kadri) who's career high is 11 points below Nylander's at 3.7 cap hit with only one year left before needing a raise and Moulson at 5 million?? And they still haven't improved the D??

Great deal....:help:
Moulson does nothing against your future cap. His contract ends this year. It would be done so the Sabers could sign Nylander. Next year when you need the cap room, you'd have Reinhart at 3.6 and draft pick (s). This is perfect for Torontos future cap space.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's amazing that Nylander is a $8.5 million player and Dubas is lowballing him but isn't worth more than lower end middle pairing defenceman. This thread blows my mind.
It's also amazing that Matthews isn't a top 30 centre in the NHL but is going to sign for $16 million minimum.
HFB is priceless, never change!

Who would have the audacity to claim Matthew's wasnt a top 30 center in the league? He's top 5 at the least and more likely top 3.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
It works both ways. Leafs are under pressure to do something by Dec 1st or else they have an asset that isn't contributing anything for them this year, and the odds increase that he'll never play for the team again.

Both sides are certainly are under pressure to get a deal done but I'm not sold that the Leafs will make some knee jerk reaction trade because they don't want him to sit out for the year.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Much like Unicorns, i don't talk about mystical things like they are facts. Nylander isn't signed at 8.5, nor will he be.

That wasn't the question tho. You say Leafs will be losers in a proposed deal because a) YOU want so see Nylander signed (who doesn't ?) and you state that involving more players wouldn't sway the transaction in your favor.

Nylander isn't signed at 8.5M, but he isn't signed at 6 either....as much as unicorny and mythical that sounds for you.

It's amazing that you guys still believe Nylander will magically cave in from his demands that he's been so far strongly holding for, just because he may lose a year. I honestly think at this point Nylander is ready to lose a year. Are Leafs ? That remains to be seen. If they trade/sign him higher than when they wanted...they weren't. If they let him sit, then yep they were.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I mean it's a little different of a situation but he was a player who left during his RFA years to go play in Russia for the year.

If anyone thinks that Nylander will be a martyr for the players union or help the players rise up, they are not thinking logically. Nylander is looking out for himself and the Leafs are looking out for themselves. If no deal can be made and no good trade offers come through he'll sit for the year or more accurately he'll end up playing in Europe.

What I find funny is people siding with the player over Toronto saying that players should have more rights and more freedoms to sign where they want. You know which team would really like that and take full advantage of it? The Toronto Maple Leafs that's who. The RFA rules are largely put in place to help small market teams hold onto talent for a set amount of time.

The Leafs cant let him sit for the year, their window is now and delaying his signing is only hurting their chances.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Leafs give up the two best players in the deal lol. Unless people still think Risto is a top pairing defenseman. I'd take Dermott and his low cap hit for the next few years over Risto.

People are going to have get over the fact that any trade with Nylander we're going to be giving up the best player. In a cap world we can't keep everyone and teams aren't going to be offering up the best player in the deal to help us out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->