Speculation: Nylander XI - All rumors, proposals, discussion, etc. HERE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Maybe so, but I can see Nylander having a point. On paper, Marner is in the ballpark with Marner. Also bigger, with similar skills, and faster. I can see him thinking he is worth as much. Certainly can see it eating at him if he thinks that Marner will be paid 2M/yr more in less than a year. What if he signs at 6/6.5M, then Marner signs at 6/8M, and in two years Nylander is producing the same, or even more? I can see him believing that he can, and not wanting to be in that situation.
Nylander is a similar level talent as Marner for sure and would deserve a similar contract if Marner's contract was up this past summer.

However that isnt the case, and Marner has an extra year whereby he likely tops his last years total (69 points) so he will get a bigger contract.

Just because Nylander 'feels' he may be worth the same contract doesnt mean shit because it is a different scenario. Marner broke into the league younger and will be able to create a longer resume than Nylander to get a bigger contract. Tough luck.

Projections of future production are built into all of these RFA contracts however they also are strongly based on past production. If Nylander wanted 8 million after 2 NHL season he sure as hell better have put up 70+ points a season or close to PPG but he didnt so he needs to realize that it will be his next contract that will be his largest payday.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Nylander is a similar level talent as Marner for sure and would deserve a similar contract if Marner's contract was up this past summer.

However that isnt the case, and Marner has an extra year whereby he likely tops his last years total (69 points) so he will get a bigger contract.

Just because Nylander 'feels' he may be worth the same contract doesnt mean **** because it is a different scenario. Marner broke into the league younger and will be able to create a longer resume than Nylander to get a bigger contract. Tough luck.

Projections of future production are built into all of these RFA contracts however they also are strongly based on past production. If Nylander wanted 8 million after 2 NHL season he sure as hell better have put up 70+ points a season or close to PPG but he didnt so he needs to realize that it will be his next contract that will be his largest payday.
i think he just wants more money to protect himself in getting dealt when he cant have a no trade clause rn

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm guessing that Nylander sees Marner as his peer, and wants to get the same amount of money. If Dubas could sign them both for 8m long term, who says no?

Nylander would be wrong though. Marner put up 69 points at age 20, and is now on pace for 80+ at age 21. Nylander put up 61 points at both ages 20 and 21, playing both seasons alongside Matthews (Marner has only played this season with a legit elite centre).

Leafs easily say no. If they were willing to sign him for 8M, this would have been done months ago. Rumours have the Leafs pushing for something between the Ehlers and Pastrnak contracts, which is a completely fair valuation of Nylander and puts him somewhere around ~6.3-6.5M.

If he wants 8M, sign a bridge deal, and prove that you're a ~75+ point player to earn that contract.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Maybe so, but I can see Nylander having a point. On paper, Marner is in the ballpark with Marner. Also bigger, with similar skills, and faster. I can see him thinking he is worth as much. Certainly can see it eating at him if he thinks that Marner will be paid 2M/yr more in less than a year. What if he signs at 6/6.5M, then Marner signs at 6/8M, and in two years Nylander is producing the same, or even more? I can see him believing that he can, and not wanting to be in that situation.
The problem is you cant negotiate contracts with hypothetical future contracts that aren't actually a thing yet.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
i think he just wants more money to protect himself in getting dealt when he cant have a no trade clause rn
If that is the case that is insanity. If you dont want to be traded play so well the team cant trade you regardless of the cap hit

I dont buy that excuse for a second.

I said it the other day, I wonder if something like this could work, 7-7.25 x 8 years but no protection at all during UFA years meaning he can be traded whenever. Willy gets his big pay day but will have no security. If he wants to stay a leaf he will have to prove it on the ice

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'm guessing that Nylander sees Marner as his peer, and wants to get the same amount of money. If Dubas could sign them both for 8m long term, who says no?

He may see him that way but Marner has 79 points in his last 80 GP at one year younger which is far better than what Nylander has done to date. What Marner has done puts him in line with what Pastrnak and Draisatl did PRIOR to signing.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Yes, but you didn't answer the question i posed. Would you be fine if they both signed for 8M?

No.

We aren't in the position to be able to overpay William Nylander 1.5M. Either sign a 6-7 year deal in the 6.6ish Pastrnak range, or sign a short term bridge deal and prove you are worth 8M.

Marner at 8M for 8 years, sure, I'm okay with that, because he's currently on pace to score around 90 points.

Reactions: Once

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Pesce is very good defensively, but doesn't provide much offensve. Some Canes fans feel he has untapped offensive potential, but I don't see it. Still, if he was on the Leafs, I could see him getting ~30+points just because he'd be playing with much better players and would get more chances to get assists. He's got an ok shot from the point, not bad, but not great either.

Defensively, he's very solid and does a good job at shot suppression. He's positionally sound, usually makes good decisions (when to pinch, taking the right angle, when to fall back, etc..) and is strong along the boards. He's a good skater, but to me, his stride is more choppy and not as fluid as guys like Slavin, or Rielly. He's a good passer and moves the puck well, but just ok handling the puck (you won't see him going around guys or end to end).

His contract is excellent for what he brings and can easily play against top competition. He's a very stabilizing presence.

IMO, I think it would be Pesce+ for Nylander, but many Canes fans disagree with that. Of course, that is contract dependent. If Nylander is going to get $8M a year, that lessens the value of him.

If your analysis is accurate, I'd do Nylander straight up right now for Pesce. He's
exactly what the Leafs need. They don't need Willie and to be honest, the Legend of William Nylander is getting overblown on these threads. He's a talented player with flaws. Combine that with his asking price, he becomes one of many decent wingers, nothing more.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Leafs fan here..Whats the scoop on Pesce? Would that be a fair swap for Nylander? He does seem to check off a lot of boxes..23 years old..right shot..5 more years at 4mil.

That's a can of worms you don't want to open! :) I don't think there are too many players that are more controversial than Pesce. I thought it was just Leaf fans who undervalued him in the last thread but all of the teams were offering pretty paltry packages.

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
Nylander will never be more than a 20-25 goal scorer as long as he remains a completely perimeter player. Guy has 30-40 goal potential if he ever wants to go for rebounds, go for tips, go to the front of the net, etc. Hard to say if he will ever make that a part of his game. I'm not talking become a physical grinder. But Matthews for instance scores at a 40 goal pace because he scores all kinds of weird looking goals in addition to his wristers.
Do you even watch him play? Nylander goes to the net and will battle on the boards. Okay he doesn't throw hits but he's not a guy that does everything to avoid contact like people make him out to be. I swear nobody watches the guys they talk about. They just bandwagon on other opinions. Eg. Jake Gardiner.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
friedman with an update from 31 thoughts:

8. Weekly William Nylander update: it’s a deadlock. Neither side is moving. I don’t think Toronto is ready to trade him yet, but they know it’s time to start considering what could be out there. It’s not a coincidence Kyle Dubas’s travels took him to see Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Minnesota and Carolina — all of whom could be a fit. It also wouldn’t be a surprise if Toronto targeted teams it believes are a fit instead of going public with a “sale” sign.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
No way Willie goes 1 for 1 with Pesce. If Pesce comes back a prospect like Kuokannen needs to be a part of that.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
TO fans keep telling me they can re-sign all their top young players...I genuinely ask this then:

If they can, then what's the holdup?

typicalsavage

Oct 31, 2018
TO fans keep telling me they can re-sign all their top young players...I genuinely ask this then:

If they can, then what's the holdup?
Its not about cap space which everyone claims its obvious Nylander's agent and his dad are trying to get more than they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->