Nylander won't be traded (core piece)

Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I remember quite well what I heard because when he was asked about the quote (and it was a specific quote saying he'd never trade Nylander as long as he's the GM), I remember thinking I'm so happy that they're asking him this question as opposed to just lobbing him softballs and I really want to hear what he says. He obfuscated for a bit and then finally said "I stand by what I said".

I'm pretty sure it was a Simon&Garfunkel son BTW and as far as hearing what he wants to hear, if you're referring to me then believe me, hearing Dubas say that he would never trade Nylander was the last thing I wanted to hear. But if you are so sure that I didn't hear what I know perfectly well that I heard, perhaps you should ask yourself why what is and if it's not a case of you not believing for no other reason than you don't want to believe.

Edit - just wanted to add that I'm a big fan of Dubas and as such, I'm the last person who wants to see or hear him messing up, much less imaging that he said dumb things when he really didn't. I try to be fair though and even though I'm a big fan, I don't think he should have said what he said in this case.
Son?:laugh:

dude it's quite possible that i'm older then you, Paul MacCartney even wrote a song about my specific age

that song quote indeed was S&G, had a craft moment i guess, i was referring to Nylander hearing what he wanted to hear...there was no offence intended

like i say i looked through a ton of clips, twitters and the rest, i think if he did say it, there would be a lot of electrons and ink spilled on it or at least a mention somewhere other then Nylander's quote

here's TSN's take, much the same thing, both in what Dubas say's and the reiteration in the reportage of what Dubas said:

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-to-nylander-as-long-as-i-m-here-you-won-t-be-traded-1.1220400

In his first session with the Toronto media since signing a new contract, William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded.

"I don't know why that's a surprise," Dubas said. "I've been on the record as saying that ... it's our intention to have him here as long as we're here. He’s an excellent young player. I don’t think we want to get in the business of not having excellent young players so that’s how we feel about it."

Nylander hears it and reiterates it as "he'll never trade me"

Dubas says "not our intention"

all the major reporting is consistent on this point

it's my intention to live to 110, it's possible but not probable;)

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

dude it's quite possible that i'm older then you, Paul MacCartney even wrote a song about my specific age

that song quote indeed was S&G, had a craft moment i guess, i was referring to Nylander hearing what he wanted to hear...there was no offence intended

like i say i looked through a ton of clips, twitters and the rest, i think if he did say it, there would be a lot of electrons and ink spilled on it or at least a mention somewhere other then Nylander's quote

here's TSN's take, much the same thing, both in what Dubas say's and the reiteration in the reportage of what Dubas said:

https://www.tsn.ca/dubas-to-nylander-as-long-as-i-m-here-you-won-t-be-traded-1.1220400

So you claim to be nineteen hundred eighty five eh? Not even Mess is that old:laugh: I read it the same as you and presumably as it was intended. It will still look shitty on Dubas if he trades Willie because he can get both Kap and Johnsson for the same $7M but business is business. Didn't Willie's statement come from a bunch of dumbass interviewers asking if he was worried about being traded after signing? Where do they find these tool bags? Scratching to eke one extra headline out of the saga I guess. The words, even if spoken, are no shield. If there is a clear benefit to moving Willie they will do it. If team success and Willie's own performance say otherwise he will be kept.

"I promise we aren't trying to sign you just to trade you" Willie missed the follow up question he should have asked. "You mean forever right?" Dubas "Welllll.... nothing is forever pumpkin"

Reactions: therealkoho

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Son was a typo, I meant to say song (as in Simon and Garfunkel song).

So this is from your link:

William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded.
"I don't know why that's a surprise," Dubas said.

This quote couldn't be any more clear - Dubas did a lot more than talk about intentions, he confirmed that what Nylander said is true - as long as he's in charge, Nylander won't be traded. Why he would say such a thing is perhaps up for debate (my guess is temporary insanity) but what he said isn't.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

William Nylander revealed that general manager Kyle Dubas pledged to him on multiple occasions that as long as he's running the Maple Leafs, the Swede won't be traded.

This quote couldn't be any more clear - Dubas did a lot more than talk about intentions, he confirmed that what Nylander said is true - as long as he's in charge, Nylander won't be traded. Why he would say such a thing is perhaps up for debate (my guess is temporary insanity) but what he said isn't.
Will he honor the pledge is the question.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Transcript from the interview after Nylander was signed. Courtesy of MLHotstove.
(Q)One of the things John mentioned when he signed was a promise that you would make sure that you keep this core together which would include Nylander and Matthews and Marner. William just spoke with the media and he stated that you promised him that as long as you are in charge of the Leafs, you will not be trading him. Can you confirm that? If so, why would you grant him that promise?
Dubas
: What I had told him through the whole process — especially as things started to ramp up and the deadline came closer and different teams were inquiring and more teams were involved and rumours started to pick up — what he wanted to know is that he wasn’t just being signed to be traded right away. What I told him was that is absolutely not the case. I said to William, “I am on the record as saying in training camp that we want William to be here as long as I am here.”

Want is not a promise of anything, it is an indication of desire. 'Intention' is another word that's been bandied about. It too is not an absolute.

Dubas has not promised, he has strongly suggested that he desires Nylander to be a Leaf for a long time. How Nylander interprets what Dubas has 'publicly' said is Nylander's business. What Dubas has publicly said is on record. No promise was made.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

intention is what Dubas said, and we all know that intentions, especially the good ones and the maybe not so good, are the things that the road to aitch e double hockey stick's is paved with

last thing

I could tell you that Keith Richards phoned me and asked if I wanted to come on the new tour and open for those guy's on Canadian dates

I could swear on the book of Kell that it's true, you can't refute it because you didn't hear it first hand, and thusly would just have to take my word for it, undoubtedly with a grain of salt, this no different then just taking willie's word for it!

Quite frankly Dubas has never said it in public, and by never i mean never!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Dubas did not promise never to trade William Nylander.

we can safely conclude, though, that he definitely doesn't want to and very likely won't.

those who wanted him traded can hang their hopes on wording if they wish.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
intention is what Dubas said, and we all know that intentions, especially the good ones and the maybe not so good, are the things that the road to aitch e double hockey stick's is paved with

last thing

I could tell you that Keith Richards phoned me and asked if I wanted to come on the new tour and open for those guy's on Canadian dates

I could swear on the book of Kell that it's true, you can't refute it because you didn't hear it first hand, and thusly would just have to take my word for it, undoubtedly with a grain of salt, this no different then just taking willie's word for it!

Let me know the dates ;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Why are you ignoring the fact that Dubas was asked about it and he confirmed in public that he did in fact say it? He was asked the same question on the radio about promising he would never trade Nylander as long as he's the GM and I heard his answer clear as a bell - "I stand by what I said". Here it is again, you posted the link yourself, which part are you having trouble with?

The fact that you don't want to accept this and focus on other parts of what he said (which in no way contradict this part) is particularly ironic considering you're the one who earlier shared this song lyric - "man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dubas did not promise never to trade William Nylander.

we can safely conclude, though, that he definitely doesn't want to and very likely won't.

those who wanted him traded can hang their hopes on wording if they wish.

Sure he did. He was asked about it and he confirmed it. Do you think he's lying and is just telling everyone that he made this promise when he really didn't? Now that would be strange. :laugh::laugh:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Why are you ignoring the fact that Dubas was asked about it and he confirmed in public that he did in fact say it? He was asked the same question on the radio about promising he would never trade Nylander as long as he's the GM and I heard his answer clear as a bell - "I stand by what I said". Here it is again, you posted the link yourself, which part are you having trouble with?

The fact that you don't want to accept this and focus on other parts of what he said (which in no way contradict this part) is particularly ironic considering you're the one who earlier shared this song lyric - "man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"
not ignoring m'boy just listening to what Dubas actually said, which is different to Nylander's interpretation of what he said and your's apparently, we all know what he said, we have all reiterated what he said many times over

this discussion is over, it has become fruitless, circular and now totally pointless, I will ask you as a gentleman to please not respond.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
not ignoring m'boy just listening to what Dubas actually said, which is different to Nylander's interpretation of what he said and your's apparently, we all know what he said, we have all reiterated what he said many times over

this discussion is over, it has become fruitless, circular and now totally pointless, I will ask you as a gentleman to please not respond.

What he said was that he confirms that the quote that he would never trade Nylander is correct and if you really are a gentleman than may I suggest that you start behaving like one (I'm not your boy and referring to me as such is anything but gentlemanly).

This discussion may indeed be pointless. That's easily fixed - read what you yourself linked to and stop hearing only what you want to hear.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok

With reference to the idea that he didn't want to trade Willy. It was not said with the promise that he wouldn't trade Willy. The context has been warped by media to create this conflict. Dubas, at least to the best of my knowledge, please present an entire quote to prove me wrong, consistently said that he wanted Willy to be a part of the team as long as he (Dubas) was there and that there was no intent on behalf of the Leafs to trade Nylander. Neither comment is a promise. They reflect the hope and goal of keeping Willy as a part of the team. I'm hopeful Dubas was clear in communicating to Nylander that the Leafs had no interest in trading him, that it was the management's position that he was in the long-term plans for the organization, but I'm guessing a 22 year old kid facing the media after having just signed a 40+ million dollar contract may have got a bit carried away with his words, not intentionally, but in the euphoria of the moment.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

With reference to the idea that he didn't want to trade Willy. It was not said with the promise that he wouldn't trade Willy.
The context has been warped by media to create this conflict. Dubas, at least to the best of my knowledge, please present an entire quote to prove me wrong, consistently said that he wanted Willy to be a part of the team as long as he (Dubas) was there and that there was no intent on behalf of the Leafs to trade Nylander. Neither comment is a promise. They reflect the hope and goal of keeping Willy as a part of the team. I'm hopeful Dubas was clear in communicating to Nylander that the Leafs had no interest in trading him, that it was the management's position that he was in the long-term plans for the organization, but I'm guessing a 22 year old kid facing the media after having just signed a 40+ million dollar contract may have got a bit carried away with his words, not intentionally, but in the euphoria of the moment.

Nope, it was with reference to the quote he was asked about where he said he would never trade Nylander. Why would you think his answer wasn't an answer to what he was being asked?

Not sure why so many of you are pretending like this didn't happen but you are entitled to pretend I suppose.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

With reference to the idea that he didn't want to trade Willy. It was not said with the promise that he wouldn't trade Willy. The context has been warped by media to create this conflict. Dubas, at least to the best of my knowledge, please present an entire quote to prove me wrong, consistently said that he wanted Willy to be a part of the team as long as he (Dubas) was there and that there was no intent on behalf of the Leafs to trade Nylander. Neither comment is a promise. They reflect the hope and goal of keeping Willy as a part of the team. I'm hopeful Dubas was clear in communicating to Nylander that the Leafs had no interest in trading him, that it was the management's position that he was in the long-term plans for the organization, but I'm guessing a 22 year old kid facing the media after having just signed a 40+ million dollar contract may have got a bit carried away with his words, not intentionally, but in the euphoria of the moment.
it's useless, cognitive bias is firmly in place

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If you can not lie, cheat, steal. You can not GM effectively. I don't really like the guy or his exaggerated forced smiles tbh. Hope he does something special here outside the fake credit he gets for JT. Hope he trades Nylander too, don't like that guy anymore.

Reactions: Hollywood North

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
William Nylander: “Kyle has told me multiple times that as long as he’s here he’s not going to trade

Kind of tire of the spin, Kyle is a pretty eloquent guy, I'm sure Willie got it right.

What Dubas said after this quote is irrelevant, massaging language because he knows it sounds bad. If you actually re-watch the Dubas presser, he gets noticeably uncomfortable when this topic came up.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Sure he did. He was asked about it and he confirmed it. Do you think he's lying and is just telling everyone that he made this promise when he really didn't? Now that would be strange. :laugh::laugh:

Nope. he was asked about it and most definitely would not say he promised not to trade him. The questioning was extremely specific on this.

I'm sorry dude but you're wrong on this.

Mar 26, 2010
If you can not lie, cheat, steal. You can not GM effectively. I don't really like the guy or his exaggerated forced smiles tbh. Hope he does something special here outside the fake credit he gets for JT. Hope he trades Nylander too, don't like that guy anymore.
Dubas had nothing to do with JT signing in Toronto. JT signed here because he knew that he wanted to be a Leaf.

Reactions: thewave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->