Nylander won't be traded (core piece)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Whether Nylander minds or not doesn't (or shouldn't) enter into it.

That's probably why he said it, he shouldn't have said it though. He could have conveyed reassurances but stopped short of saying he would never trade him no matter what and especially not extended that guarantee beyond these 6 years to the end if time. That's what every other GM in NHL history has done, not sure why that wasn't good enough for Dubas in this case.

As far as the media goes, they were talking about nothing non-stop for months, that's no reason to go off the board and provide a guarantee the way he did, at least I can't recall another GM ever doing this. It just wasn't necessary, period.

Where did you get “no matter what” from?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Where did you get “no matter what” from?

I put that in for emphasis, never means never and that's what he said. He did add the qualifier "as long as he's the GM" so maybe "over my dead body" would be a better way of putting it. :laugh::laugh:

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The big picture of our discussion is that I am concerned Nylander will live up to his contract this season given all that has gone on over the past 3-4 months.

It's a very valid concern. The org did exactly what the Nylander camp wanted them to do ie over pay him based on a model of future expected performance. This is a slippery slope for the org and the player and now the pressure is on big time.

Add in the fact that Nylander has disappointed the org and fans alike with compete issues during his Leaf tenure and this is an anxious situation for all involved.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
It's a very valid concern. The org did exactly what the Nylander camp wanted them to do ie over pay him based on a model of future expected performance. This is a slippery slope for the org and the player and now the pressure is on big time.

Add in the fact that Nylander has disappointed the org and fans alike with compete issues during his Leaf tenure and this is an anxious situation for all involved.

Thanks, I didn't think it was as an outlandish concern as others were making it out to be.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Oh he's under the microscope now, no question about it. And if he's not up to speed really soon, the media and the fans will be all over him (and Dubas too). It's kind of scary actually, I'm reading all these posts about how Nylander was so worried and stressed out about being traded the poor thing because you know, the media. Well I got news for you Willie, if February arrives and by then, you're playing like a 4 million dollar player instead of 7, these trade rumours that were supposedly causing you stress are going to be nothing compared to what's going to be said about you at that point.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Imo hasnt played to well since coming back. Doesnt look good on the guy who decided to sit out for 2 months of his teams games.

Hopefully willie starts flying soon

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Imo hasnt played to well since coming back. Doesnt look good on the guy who decided to sit out for 2 months of his teams games.

Hopefully willie starts flying soon

It's only been a couple of games. I doubt anyone thought he'd be in mid-season form the minute he hit the ice.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
1. Nylander is not being traded anytime soon

2. Give the guy at least 10 games to get back in game shape
It's weird that some of the same posters who complained that sitting out means it'll take lots of time for him to get back in shape are now blaming him for not being up to speed in 1½ games.

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
It's weird that some of the same posters who complained that sitting out means it'll take lots of time for him to get back in shape is now blaming him for not being up to speed in 1½ games.

Little bit different but Matthew's came back from an injury and was immediately a force, got 2 goals, 3 points in his first game back.

Nylander has been able to train for the last 7 months without any injuries that I am aware of and...

I'm trying not to be to hard on the guy but hes making it tough.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Little bit different but Matthew's came back from an injury and was immediately a force, got 2 goals, 3 points in his first game back.

Nylander has been able to train for the last 7 months without any injuries that I am aware of and...

I'm trying not to be to hard on the guy but hes making it tough.

Training and playing are far far different things. Matthews has 10 games before his injury and is also just a far better player than nylander too

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
It's only been a couple of games. I doubt anyone thought he'd be in mid-season form the minute he hit the ice.

Doesnt have to be mid season form but you'd think a guy who had the last 7 months to just train would be ready to go. Especially after missing 20+ of your teams games.

Seems to be a constant that nylander let's me down so maybe I just have to high of expectations for him. Something to think about

Reactions: WickedPegJets

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Doesnt have to be mid season form but you'd think a guy who had the last 7 months to just train would be ready to go. Especially after missing 20+ of your teams games.

Seems to be a constant that nylander let's me down so maybe I just have to high of expectations for him. Something to think about

Theres a reason training camp exists. It takes a month for these guys to get fully get going

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I agree that Nylander's not the guy you trade because you need to free up cap space but what if they decide that we really need a good Dman, then what? As the saying goes, you gotta give to get and if we have to trade a quality forward, we may be in a spot where anything less than Nylander doesn't get it done and we'd rather part with Nylander than with Matthews/Marnes/Tavares.

I feel funny saying this about our GM but I really hope his word means nothing in this case. I can't help but be a bit worried that he'd really like to keep his word in this case and if that's the case, that's potentially a big problem.

I suspect a place where we may differ is I don’t see the trade market as a viable option for what the Leafs need (young top pairing level RHD). Since those types of assets are almost never moved.

I think if push came to shove and management felt pressure they’d probably flip a futures package for a vet - like the Hamonic trade or the McDonagh one.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I suspect a place where we may differ is I don’t see the trade market as a viable option for what the Leafs need (young top pairing level RHD). Since those types of assets are almost never moved.

I think if push came to shove and management felt pressure they’d probably flip a futures package for a vet - like the Hamonic trade or the McDonagh one.

IMHO none of this matters. Even if this is all true today, we don't know that it will be true tomorrow, February, a year from now, three years from now ... never is a big word.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
i seriously wouldn't count your chickens before they hatched

it's unrealistic to think that if Nylander's contract was an impedment to getting a deal done with Matty and/or Mitch, Willie would be gone in a heartbeat
I think that other options will happen before they think to trade William.
Could he be traded? Absolutely, but people were talking like he WILL be traded in the offseason like that's the plan dubas had.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Training and playing are far far different things. Matthews has 10 games before his injury and is also just a far better player than nylander too
Not to mention he missed all of training camp and preseason....

People expecting Nylander to be running at 100% already are crazy.

Reactions: Walshy7

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Unless teams and people embrace my opinion that league player stats are being inflated by league changes, then you will have to pay Marner and Matthews so much that Nylander will be removed by necessity. We lost the Nylander negotiation by 500-600k a year and if you convert that overpayment into a % for Matthews and Marner (Say 15% PTS) and that translates into 15% money (Being lazy here) well that carries a 10m contract to 11.5m... I think Nylander is gone regardless.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Just because he didn't say it in this clip doesn't mean he never said it and he did say it. I heard him asked about it on the radio and he confirmed it.

Shanny says Smiles reminds him of himself. Shanny is compared to a politician... A politician by definition is OXFORD: "A person who acts in a manipulative and devious way, typically to gain advancement within an organization." I don't believe Dubas to be as bright as all the hype, not from what I have seen to this point.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Shanny says Smiles reminds him of himself. Shanny is compared to a politician... A politician by definition is OXFORD: "A person who acts in a manipulative and devious way, typically to gain advancement within an organization." I don't believe Dubas to be as bright as all the hype, not from what I have seen to this point.

He's only been on the job for a few months and for the most part, all he's done is stay the course which seems like a good idea seeing how we've been on an upward trajectory for a few years now. I'm not a fan of every move he's made but overall, not too shabby. JMHO.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Just because he didn't say it in this clip doesn't mean he never said it and he did say it. I heard him asked about it on the radio and he confirmed it.
i searched pretty hard guy, Nylander is the only source for that quote and whatever was said was said incamera

what's that line in the Lightfoot song

"man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
i searched pretty hard guy, Nylander is the only source for that quote and whatever was said was said incamera

"man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"

I remember quite well what I heard because when he was asked about the quote (and it was a specific quote saying he'd never trade Nylander as long as he's the GM), I remember thinking I'm so happy that they're asking him this question as opposed to just lobbing him softballs and I really want to hear what he says. He obfuscated for a bit and then finally said "I stand by what I said".

I'm pretty sure it was a Simon&Garfunkel son BTW and as far as hearing what he wants to hear, if you're referring to me then believe me, hearing Dubas say that he would never trade Nylander was the last thing I wanted to hear. But if you are so sure that I didn't hear what I know perfectly well that I heard, perhaps you should ask yourself why what is and if it's not a case of you not believing for no other reason than you don't want to believe.

Edit - just wanted to add that I'm a big fan of Dubas and as such, I'm the last person who wants to see or hear him messing up, much less imaging that he said dumb things when he really didn't. I try to be fair though and even though I'm a big fan, I don't think he should have said what he said in this case.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

"man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest
"

That would be from The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad