Nylander vs. Aho

Which player do you want to build around? Assume equal contracts, as both are about to get PAI

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
And Aho has a track record of being able to lead a team?

Seems a silly statement considering they’ve had near identical career trajectories so far

Again they are very different types of players, and Aho type is what I'd prefer when building around.
Versatile 2way forward with elite IQ.

Stop looking at just points.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think Aho took a step forward with his game last year that Nylander didn't. I have him ever so slightly ahead right now for that reason. I still see them having similar ceilings and either could be ahead for the next seven times we have this poll over the course of the season.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Again they are very different types of players, and Aho type is what I'd prefer when building around.
Versatile 2way forward with elite IQ.

Stop looking at just points.

Nylander is underrated defensively, great stick work. Also, very smart player. Don't see the huge distinction here. My guess is that Nylander, Ehlers and Aho are all very close again after this year.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah no he isn't.

Way better defensively, way better goalscorer and plays against harder competition.

What's the argument for marner? I suppose you could argue his 7gp playoff production was elite? Then again, it's very small sample size.

Marner could definitely have better next season when he gets to play Tavares, I give you that.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Nylander is underrated defensively, great stick work. Also, very smart player. Don't see the huge distinction here. My guess is that Nylander, Ehlers and Aho are all very close again after this year.

You just keep naming very different types of players.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Way better defensively, way better goalscorer and plays against harder competition.

What's the argument for marner? I suppose you could argue his 7gp playoff production was elite? Then again, it's very small sample size.

Marner could definitely have better next season when he gets to play Tavares, I give you that.

Marner's competition and defensive responsibilities went through the roof when he was switched from the Bozak/JVR line to the Kadri/Marleau shutdown line.

The Corsica date ranges are always wonky for me, but it's telling me that over 40games from Jan 1st to April 10th, Marner played 5on5 ToIQoC of 29.47. Aho played 29.32 in that time frame.

In the final 41 games of the year, most of which was on the Kadri line, Marner scored 17 goals. Aho is a good goal scorer in his own right, but so is Marner.

If you're going to try to accurately assess Marner's 2017-2108 season, you simply must recognize how different of a player he was in December on the Bozak line to how he played in March on the Kadri line. 40ish games of piss poor production and scoring against weak competition and then 40ish games of PPG production with great scoring against tough competition. Aho was better for the first half of the year and then Marner was better over the second half. I think that it's completely fair to say that Marner took his game to the next level around the midway point last year (his production exploded mid January) and that Aho has not matched that.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
I’ll wait till someone breaks down the numbers. I lean towards Aho but with that being said Nylander is one of the better 5v5 players in the entire league

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Marner's competition and defensive responsibilities went through the roof when he was switched from the Bozak/JVR line to the Kadri/Marleau shutdown line.

The Corsica date ranges are always wonky for me, but it's telling me that over 40games from Jan 1st to April 10th, Marner played 5on5 ToIQoC of 29.47. Aho played 29.32 in that time frame.

In the final 41 games of the year, most of which was on the Kadri line, Marner scored 17 goals. Aho is a good goal scorer in his own right, but so is Marner.

If you're going to try to accurately assess Marner's 2017-2108 season, you simply must recognize how different of a player he was in December on the Bozak line to how he played in March on the Kadri line. 40ish games of piss poor production and scoring against weak competition and then 40ish games of PPG production with great scoring against tough competition. Aho was better for the first half of the year and then Marner was better over the second half. I think that it's completely fair to say that Marner took his game to the next level around the midway point last year (his production exploded mid January) and that Aho has not matched that.

Aho had 5v5 ToiQoc% 29.45 over the whole year, dont cherrypick stats.

Marner also had way more PP points due to Toronto's PP% being 2nd best, while Carolina's was bottom 10.

Also with Bill Peters gone, Carolina's goalscoring should raise anyway.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Aho had 5v5 ToiQoc% 29.45 over the whole year, dont cherrypick stats.

Marner also had way more PP points due to Toronto's PP% being 2nd best, while Carolina's was bottom 10.

Also with Bill Peters gone, Carolina's goalscoring should raise anyway.

So I should ignore that Marner's production actually went up when he was given more defensive responsibilities and faced even tougher competition than Aho does?

Is it not fair to think that maybe Toronto's PP was 2nd best because Marner was part of it? He was the PP quarterback for his unit all year.

Glad to hear that Carolina will score more, but perhaps Marner will score more because he's going to be playing with Tavares too.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Canes also played in one of the harder divisions while the Leafs were in the weakest one.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
So I should ignore that Marner's production actually went up when he was given more defensive responsibilities and faced even tougher competition than Aho does?

That's not what I'm saying, you cant cherrypick one specific timeline for both. Sure use your half a season for marner, Aho still outdid that through the whole season.

And give me the numbers on these more defensive responsibilities and tougher competition, otherwise it's just BS.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
That's not what I'm saying, you cant cherrypick one specific timeline for both. Sure use your half a season for marner, Aho still outdid that through the whole season.

And give me the numbers on these more defensive responsibilities and tougher competition, otherwise it's just BS.

Sure, for the whole season Marner scored 69 points in 1344 minutes of icetime this season. Aho scored 65 in 1398. Full seasons with no cherrypicking, right?

And I mean, sure, feel free to give me the numbers on more defensive responsibilities for Aho as well, with regards to either Marner and Nylander. I did give you the numbers for competition, but apparently half a season doesn't count because only full seasons are relevant info? Lol, saying that a full season is the only relevant info is just cherrypicking your own data.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

So when Marner does well in the playoffs it's a small sample size, but when Matthews struggles in the playoffs last year it matters beyond everything else he's done...interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad